Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Point being? It is a hell of a lot easier to run away from a knife than a bullet....

There is no realistic law that could be in place to prevent violent crimes, isn't going to happen.

However, it doesn't take an egghead to look at America's violent crime rate and gun ownership to see there is something seriously wrong with America. Other developed countries don't have our type of violent crime. I'm not too sure what to do to alleviate it since guns are glamorized in our culture so it's just not a political issue but an American societal one.

edit: look at your link.... 22 children hurt, not killed in stabbing spree. Compare that to what just happened.
Look up gun ownership in Switzerland.

Look up gun ownership in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,734 posts, read 4,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
What problems were these??

All I find is a lot of subjective "accounts" by neighbors...convenient after the dude had already did what he did. The human mind will use any information available to rationalize something... even if it was after the fact.
You don't think a normal person does something like this?

Connecticut school shooting: Troubled life of Adam Lanza, a fiercely intelligent killer - Telegraph

Adam Lanza is recalled as a ‘rambunctious kid’ with family problems - The Washington Post

Sandy Hook mass murderer Adam Lanza, 20, 'deeply disturbed kid' - NY Daily News

Connecticut shooting: Gunman, Adam Lanza, suffered mental disorder, killed his mother first | OregonLive.com

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Why don't you actually read the links? Why are you so invested in being right? You can disagree with the content if you want, but now you are starting to look silly by making blatantly false posts. (This is why I hate this section of the board, people do this all the time)

From the links:
I did read the links. There is nothing blatantly false about anything I said. By the way, I have five years of doctoral training in clinical psychology - you? I dislike "it's the medication" hysteria and misinformation about psychological sciences. Ask yourself, 572 documented occurrences of violence - out of how many? What was the sample size? What was reported? Ideation or action? Criminal activity? Police reports? Or self-reported side effects that anyone can enter as a side effect of a medication (not a rigorous methodology, BTW)?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You need a semi-automatic to shoot a duck? !
There's more than ducks out in the country.

Coyote, feral hogs up to 400lbs, bear, etc.

What..give everyone a BB gun and tell them to "go at it" ?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They obviously don't come close to going far enough since he still had access to guns.
Yes. He stole them and murdered their legal owner, who one can presume, passed the background check. Now, how do you propose tougher gun control could have prevented him from stealing and killing?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:04 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
What about guns for hunting? I love my Browning A-5 semi automatic shotguns for duck and goose hunting. They are classics and wouldn't get rid of them for the world. I also have a Mini 14 and shoot turtles and snakes with it during the summer for target practice. I don't see anything wrong with that...............do you?
I'm opposed to hunting but I understand it. I know that hunters tend to be responsible gun owners. Hunters understand that these are WEAPONS designed to KILL, not entertainment.

But even you know that the VAST majority of gun owners use them to play with, show off, and brag about. They're toys, status symbols, and security blankets for the insecure who need something to make them feel tough.

Hunting and law enforcement are pretty much the only uses I consider legitimate.

Everyone else is just trying to prove how bad ass they are.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:04 PM

734 posts, read 933,136 times
Many of these so-called parents do not know how to raise children properly. They are more concerned with acquiring as much materialism as possible.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
It is not only guns....the worst in our nations history in 1927 used explosives. Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-15-2012, 03:05 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
You have no interest in a well-armed militia, only in proving to yourself that you're a bad ass and impressing your friends.
What a broad brush you paint with. I know plenty of people who own one, maybe two guns. They aren't trying to prove anything, only want something to be able to defense themselves from very evil, mean people in our country. Some people blame Hollywood, but Hollywood has been putting out "gun movies" for decades, yet back in the day when one could order a gun over the phone and have it delivered to their home, this kind of stuff didn't happen. There are many factors on why these things are happening, but most folks will pick on those things they personally have issues with and try to claim that by just changing that one thing, these things will magically stop.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Yes. He stole them and murdered their legal owner, who one can presume, passed the background check. Now, how do you propose tougher gun control could have prevented him from stealing and killing?
That question has been asked over and over and none will or can answer. It doesn't support their agenda of stricter laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies