Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Just a something to think about.

Guns have been around for a very long time. Yet it wasnt until our life times really, that we have seen incidents like this, especially in schools, and so often. There is something different in our society today that wasnt prevalent years and years ago. Is it meds, entertainment violence, parenting issues, or something else? It is easy to say, just take the guns away. But there is something else contributing to all this. And really, it is most likely a combination of things. But we need to do more to examine ourselves, our society to figure out what indeed has changed in society from years ago, to now.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everything is to blame, except guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
My number one is true according to professional wisdom.

My number two is not absolutely false. You said SSRIs cause violence to others. The articles you linked reference "psychotropic medications." Some psychoactive medications do come with warnings of increased violence or aggression, but antidepressants aren't high on that list.

--------

As a general note about all of the threads on psychiatric diagnosis, people really need to educate themselves about different disorders, evidence-based treatments and accurate risks and benefits of medications. Some of the misstatements I've read here today are staggering.
Why don't you actually read the links? Why are you so invested in being right? You can disagree with the content if you want, but now you are starting to look silly by making blatantly false posts. (This is why I hate this section of the board, people do this all the time)

From the links:

Quote:
The 31 "suspect" drugs accounted for 1527 of the 1937 case reports of violence toward others in the FDA database for that 69-month period. The drugs in that list of 31 included varenicline (an aid to smoking cessation), 11 antidepressants, 6 hypnotic/sedatives, and 3 drugs for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Antidepressants were responsible for 572 case reports of violence toward others; the three ADHD drugs for 108; and the hypnotic/sedatives for 97.

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
This culture that has been "created" in America isn't my culture. It's the United States of America.

I did not vote Obama into office AGAIN; the king of DRONES.

I'm a Libertarian. You want PEACE in this country. Start voting that way.
What an irrelevant post. Obama has nothing to do with creating Gun Worship, no more than GW Bush or the last 10 presidents.

It's taken decades to get this sick. But YOU and all other gun advocates do indeed own it for perpetuating this obscene obsession.

Keep teaching our children the wonders of weapons. Sooner or later one of them ... or rather, dozens of them ... will decide to use them as intended. Like Adam Lanza. And the Oregon mall shooter. And the movie theater shooter.

Keep it up. You own it, be proud of it.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
On Friday morning, a man walked through the entrance of an elementary school and, without warning, began ruthlessly cutting down children at the school. Before he was subdued, nearly two dozen were hit.
While it sounds like the horrific massacre in Connecticut, this attack took place about 8,000 miles away in central China. And while several of the victims were reported in critical condition, none of the 22 children were killed. The 36-year-old suspect in China -- which has strict gun control laws -- attacked the children with a knife, according to local reports.
"The huge difference between this case and the U.S. is not the suspect, nor the situation, but the simple fact he did not have an effective weapon," said Dr. Ding Xueliang, a Harvard-educated sociologist at the University of Science and Technology in Hong Kong.
China attack illustrates U.S. gun law divide - CNN.com

Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You need to give me a reason for that girl's hair.
Let's chalk it up to humidity

Old 12-15-2012, 02:59 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Worship: Guns are cool. Guns are fun. Guns solve problems. Guns are status symbols. Guns make you feel like a bad ass. Guns let you brag about "taking out perps" and say tough things like "cold dead hands" and pretend you're Charlton Heston.

All this obsession over a device designed to kill. It's sick, and so are gun nuts.

Any other questions?
What about guns for hunting? I love my Browning A-5 semi automatic shotguns for duck and goose hunting. They are classics and wouldn't get rid of them for the world. I also have a Mini 14-223 caliber and shoot turtles and snakes with it during the summer for target practice. I don't see anything wrong with that...............do you?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
What an irrelevant post. Obama has nothing to do with creating Gun Worship, no more than GW Bush or the last 10 presidents.

It's taken decades to get this sick. But YOU and all other gun advocates do indeed own it for perpetuating this obscene obsession.

Keep teaching our children the wonders of weapons. Sooner or later one of them ... or rather, dozens of them ... will decide to use them as intended. Like Adam Lanza. And the Oregon mall shooter. And the movie theater shooter.

Keep it up. You own it, be proud of it.
I guess reading is not your strong suit. Posting dribble seems to be; be proud of it, keep it up

Old 12-15-2012, 03:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It didn't say he failed the check.
You must be 21 to purchase weapons in Connecticut. He was 20.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:01 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
What about guns for hunting? I love my Browning A-5 semi automatic shotguns for duck and goose hunting. They are classics and wouldn't get rid of them for the world. I also have a Mini 14 and shoot turtles and snakes with it during the summer for target practice. I don't see anything wrong with that...............do you?
You need a semi-automatic to shoot a duck? !

Old 12-15-2012, 03:01 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You and your ilk give me every reason to repeat this video again. Thanks.

Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment! - YouTube
The libs probably want us to also ban knives since there was school children mass murdered in China by a knife weilding man. It is the people and not the weapon. It is also sickening how the libs will politicize anything for their gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies