Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,032,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Yeah right. Around here you can whistle the "Jeopardy" theme song about 80 times before you hear them roll up the dirt road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM

734 posts, read 933,926 times
I tried to explain how Newtown is, regarding guns, but unfortunately, my comments were deleted and I was accused of fabricating stories.

This morning, The times published an article that basically captures much of what I mentioned last night, about Newtown on this forumn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/ny...ons.html?_r=1&

Quote:

...Recent efforts by the police chief and other town leaders to gain some control over the shooting and the weaponry turned into a tumultuous civic fight, with traditional hunters and discreet gun owners opposed by assault weapon enthusiasts, and a modest tolerance for bearing arms competing with the staunch views of a gun industry trade association, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, which has made Newtown its home.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:02 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,218,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
This wasn't directed at me, but I'm suggesting that by the time police arrive at my home, the perp will be dead, instead of me being dead and the perp being gone. Police investigate, and sometimes, punish crime. Very rarely are they able to prevent it.
So you are telling me that you support the widespread ownership and usage of firearms, which kill thousands of people each year in this country on the very remote chance that someone might "perp" you? I hate to break it to you, but this isn't the wild west and you aren't Wyat Earp. The police can and do prevent violent crime every day. But perhaps if the Republicans wouldn't cut funding for our police forces, they could do even more.

3,869 posts, read 15,184,188 times
Your post isfull of the hysteria the anti counseled carry folks were spewing.
And yet none of it has come true.
No wiled west shoot outs etc etc...

You would have no idea I was carrying as we went shopping in the supermarket.
But if someone started shooting at you I bet you would thank me for shooting at the perpetrator possibly saving your and your child's life.

humm, arm every teacher or have a armed guard at every school.
Heck even the mall has a armed guard or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There are some things that gun fetishists/nuts need to come to terms with if they have any hope of becoming rational human beings:

We don't want to live in a country where every person you walk by on the street has a holdster. It's 2012 and I don't want to live in the wild west. I want to be able to go to the supermarket and not have to assume that the guy next to me can shoot me, my wife, or my kid because he had a bad day, because I'm not quick draw McGraw with my own weapon.

The never ending spiral of your warped fascination is that we have to have every teacher in every school armed because everybody else has a gun. The number of senseless deaths that would follow as a result of your warped world view would make the Conneticut shootings seem tame.

Unfortunately, we have a constitution that has been interpreted in your favor, and that's just the way it is. Don't think for a second that gun nuts aren't crazy because of that.

11,011 posts, read 11,044,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Are you suggesting that as a patiot, you don't trust your own police force, the men and women who aare much more highly trained to protect you than you are?
I was taught to shoot by a Olympian medalist. I then furthered my education in the Marine Corps, where I shot for both the pistol and rifle competition team. I learned to shoot both under duress and in competition. Tell you the truth, my training is far superior to most cops. Nonetheless, the laws in my state are that if a person enters my home without my permission, I have the legal right to shoot them. Castle doctrine. Why do we have such a law? Because our state wants people to protect themselves since the cops simply cannot get there fast enough. There's a reason for the saying - the cops are only minutes away when seconds count.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
All car owners are morally responsible because it is their decision to own a car that supports the carnage regardless of intention.

You own a car? What's wrong with the bus?
Red Herring. Firearms are DESIGNED FOR ONE PURPOSE ONLY - TO KILL.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,620,475 times
Quote:
So you are telling me that you support the widespread ownership and usage of firearms, which kill thousands of people each year in this country on the very remote chance that someone might "perp" you?
Yes. Because the cops aren't going to get here in time, unless the bad guy is slow and doesn't realize I'm aware he is here. Heck, it would take me longer to call 911 than to get from my bed into a firing position.

As one wise man once said, the lock on my door is meant to protect you from me, not the other way around.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,058,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

But if someone started shooting at you I bet you would thank me for shooting at the perpetrator possibly saving your and your child's life.

humm, arm every teacher or have a armed guard at every school.
Heck even the mall has a armed guard or 2.
No offense, but I don't know you, and I don't trust you having a gun around me or my kid, because for all I know, you're a complete moron and nutcase whose parents made him dress up in little girl outfits.

So, under the gun nut utopia scenario, my only recourse is to carry around a gun myself so I can hope to protect my family from nutcases and morons.

That's no utopia at all, it's insanity.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Noone? I recall a certain incident earlier this year in Florida, a SYG state. My how soon they forget.

Quote:
And that's part of the problem.

Quote:
No, I would likely sue you for putting my life and the life of my child in even more danger by taking the law into your own hands.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,184,188 times
Again you failed at proving your point.
but you just keep swing at that ball don't ya?
how or why is gun ownership responsible for criminals with guns committing a crime.

I value all human life even the ungrateful, so I will not be able to fulfill your wish to become a dead victim of gun violence if I can help it..

Quote:
Well, please, don't do me any favors. I think I will wait for the professionals, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies