Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 PM

322 posts, read 547,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I looked up SPAS-12, and the first image I saw it appeared that it didn't have a stock at all. Once I looked a little harder, I realized it was completely collapsable.

I actually don't have a problem banning those, so long as the ban is not so all encompassing to include this:

All that does is reduce the size of the stock by about 4-5 inches, which makes storage easier, and makes it easier for my 4'11" wife to use.

Though, a sufficiently motivated person could remove the stock altogether, well on a shotgun anyway. In the AR, there's a big ass spring inside that is essential to the function of the weapon, were someone dumb enough to remove the stock on an AR, it would never fire another round.

If you awoke tomorrow to find you had been appointed King, what rule would you create? (Even though you're King, let's keep it real and keep the 2nd in mind...)
Unfortunately either my computer blocked the image you attached or City-Data did, what was it?

As far as the King question goes I'll be honest with you, I don't have the solution. As I've been consistent in stating, I actually support responsible gun ownership and burn powder 3-4 times a year to keep myself sharp. There are people on both sides of the aisle that have excellent points of view and since we live in an inclusive society what really needs to happen is a National dialogue. No alarmist viewpoints or imagery allowed, just conversation and compromise for the greater good. I know..I'm dreaming..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 PM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Really? Maybe they only protect your rights to carry the kinds of weapons that were available back when the constitution was written. Maybe it's time to take a fresh look back at history. If that sounds laughable to right wingers in the NRA then I'd remind them that it is no more laughable than thinking an amendment to the constitution can never, ever be altered.
The process for changing or altering the constitution is right there in the constitution. The process requires three fourths of the state legislatures to agree to any changes.

The process does not allow for a political zealot or group of zealots and foolish followers to make such changes as they see fit to do.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:55 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
Unfortunately either my computer blocked the image you attached or City-Data did, what was it?
This should help, unless you're at work and they have an extensive list of verboten sites...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/111...bine-synthetic

That is the exact stock I have on my rifle. There are 6 stops from fully open to fully closed, and it extends about 5" (eyeball estimate, not measured) from Position 1 to 6. As I said, it makes storage easier, and more importantly for me, it makes it more comfortable for my vertically challenged wife to fire the weapon. It may also be a little lighter than the fixed stock what was on my M16 when I was in, but not in a "holy crap, that makes a huge difference" sort of way.

Quote:
No alarmist viewpoints or imagery allowed, just conversation and compromise for the greater good. I know..I'm dreaming..
Sadly, you are. We have politicians very intentionally using undefined super inflammatory, focus-group tested language talking to a public that is rightfully outraged, but one that also doesn't realize that the term "assault weapon" is undefined (and undefinable), and I believe, many of whom truly believe they're talking about automatic weapons. In fact, I think the language the scare mongers are using is designed to make people think that without having to cross the line into outright lying.

But, as a simple perusal of this very thread will show you, most are incapable of reasonable conversation and debate. I think you and I are amongst the most reasonable I've seen, and we can't even come up with much.

I think many who hate guns have an irrational fear, and I'll give an example. A close friend of mine is a PO in NYC. One night, while visiting my house, he handed me his service weapon to inspect. His wife, a woman who loves and trusts me implicitly, who would think nothing of leaving me alone in the presence of her children or in me having a key to her house was visibly nervous about me handling it, despite knowing that I'm an Army vet with extensive training.

And that irrational fear is what we're dealing with.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:04 PM

799 posts, read 2,442,104 times
Quote:
Really? Maybe they only protect your rights to carry the kinds of weapons that were available back when the constitution was written. Maybe it's time to take a fresh look back at history. If that sounds laughable to right wingers in the NRA then I'd remind them that it is no more laughable than thinking an amendment to the constitution can never, ever be altered.

Its not laughable, your right to effect change through the proper procedure is fully protected. Do so, and I wish you well. We should all respect each other, and the outcome.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
I challenge anyone who believes the "official" story
about this tragedy to read this article:

Sandy Hook massacre: Official story spins out of control -- Puppet Masters -- Sott.net

Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
As a trained law enforcement officer, I would expect better. Better logic, and a better grasp of constitutional rights .. and a better grasp of the fact that an armed citizenry, according to the statistics, kill more bad guys, and prevent more crime than you, the police do. That makes law abiding gun owners your best friend ... not your enemy.

Secondly, you ought to possess the wisdom to understand that criminals will not obey the freaking law! What part of that escaped the academy training day one? Just go into the bowels of Los Angeles, and tell me how the 27 year ban on automatic weapons has turned out? Those MS13 boys will spray you if you drive into certain zones, as they don't seem to have any trouble attaining full auto today. Heck, you might want to check your federalles at the BATF and ask them why they provided Mexican cartels with pistols, real assault rifles and even grenades under that criminal operation called Fast & Furious? If I were caught doing that, they'd jack the jail up and put me underneath it ... but no problems, and not so much as whack on the nose with a rolled up newspaper for the badges involved in that scam to demonize legit gun dealers. And while we're on the subject of official misconduct, you might want to ask yourself why you're out there risking your life, when the freaking DEA and CIA are controlling the drug flow into this country, creating this law enforcement nightmare that represents your greatest risk ... not my Mossberg 500 that is and should be legal to purchase, so that when one of these crack heads breaks into my home, I can take care of him, instead of waiting for you to come out later to put chalk around my body.

The real issue is, the lie is different at every level, and the police are not immune to such contrived propaganda as the public is constantly fed. The brand fed you just uses a little different spice. Take any city like Chicago or Washington DC, and explain the great success gun control has had there. Then take a gander at places with open carry, and measure the public safety and crime rate statistics.

Don't buy into this BS ... and if your bosses send you out to collect guns one day, I'd look for another job .. if I were you, because you're supposed to be enforcing the law, not breaking it. And the law ... the real law, and not this contrived "color of law" BS, says that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. That is the law, and you swore an oath to defend it, didn't you?

Let me direct you to Oath Keepers » Oath Keepers – Guardians of the Republic
Wow..where to begin. Sure wish I could get the Multi Quote thing down..oh well, here we go..

First paragraph
  1. Be specific in your criticisms of my logic, I can't defend or clarify generalities.
  2. What would make you question my grasp of Constitutional Law? If you've been paying attention I've stated many times that I support the 2nd Amendment, I've even given a previous poster a lesson on how amendments can be changed and added. So again, specifics please.
  3. The purpose of Law Enforcement is not to kill "bad guys", so I struggle with how that would make you my best friend (or my enemy for that matter). Also, if you're going to cite statistics that "prove" that an armed populace prevents more crime than trained and experienced Police Officers..provide the data and we'll talk.
Second paragraph..this one is a doozy.
  1. I was a Police Officer in Southern California, so I'm certain that the neighborhoods you're referring to I've actually been to. So don't tell me what they are or are not like. When I want an education on the desert plains in TX, I'll come to you.
  2. There is an obvious distrust on you part for Law Enforcement based on your tone, if you got a jay walking ticket as a child and are scarred for life as a result allow me to apologize on behalf of everyone that's ever worn a badge.
  3. Enough with the conspiracy theories and Fox News rhetoric, they are neither pertinant to the conversation at hand or useful to anyone here.
Third paragraph
  1. What spicy propaganda are you referring to? Did that make sense to anyone?
  2. DC and Chicago did what they felt they had to do to protect their populace, there are honorable people in uniform in both of those cities trying valiantly to keep the citizenry safe. Since you don't live in either place, reserve your judgement for things you know about, like the CIA's involvement in the drug trade.
Fourth paragraph
  1. Stop it already, no one is coming to collect your guns. But IF I did and you drew your weapon on me, I'd arrest you.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I challenge anyone who believes the "official" story
about this tragedy to read this article:

Sandy Hook massacre: Official story spins out of control -- Puppet Masters -- Sott.net
The author of that piece is probably too psychologically damaged to own a firearm of any kind.

The government did it?? Utter, unadulterated codswallop.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
And how do you know he didn't just choose the guns because he had been trained, taught, and brainwashed into thinking they're fun, badass, and solve problems?

You folks like to talk about hands, feet, baseball bats, gasoline bombs or whatever nonsense you can think up. The fact is, there is NOTHING in this country to rival the culture of worship of GUNS. Not gasoline bombs, not knives. GUNS. You promote them, you urge others to play with them, you broadcast the idea that they're fun status symbols.

Adam Lanza was well trained in shooting things with guns.
Quote:
That's what he practiced with his mother.
That's how he was taught to save himself from make-believe threats. So no, I don't buy the simplistic explanation that he would have decided to go on a rampage if he didn't already have the training and the brainwashing to back it up. You guys SAY he would have ... but you have absolutely no idea. Unless you also practice mind-reading.

So stop making stuff up and calling it fact. The sane people STILL aren't falling for it.
Again, lay the blame at his stupid mothers feet, "the perfect storm"!

Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
And that irrational fear is what we're dealing with.
On both sides sadly. Irrational fear and willful ignorance..dangerous combo amigo.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Excellent reminder, all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies