Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,975 times

Advertisements

Until we finally start having some serious discussion and problem solving, our society will continue to suffer. I understand that people feel uncomfortable about it and prefer not to deal with mentally ill people, but the reality is that it is a problem and will not get better until we start looking for solutions. The current system is broken and needs fixing, ASAP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,681,326 times
I know. And I know someone who needs treatment but refuses to address the issue.

It scares the crap out of me.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
I'll tell you what we shouldn't do. Treat it if you can't afford it. Last thing we need is for me to pay for some lunatic w/ a gun collection to get counseling for his depression or medicine for his schizophrenia...

Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Part of the solution is to stop creating it in the first place. The younger generation has been taught that everyone gets a trophy and there are no losers and everyone is equal. When they finally get out in the real world, they find out they've been lied to and can't handle the pressures of everyday life. They feel they have nothing left and act out in desperation. Society is creating these mentally disturbed people by not preparing them for reality. Why do you think almost all mass shooters are in their 20's or younger?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I'll tell you what we shouldn't do. Treat it if you can't afford it. Last thing we need is for me to pay for some lunatic w/ a gun collection to get counseling for his depression or medicine for his schizophrenia...
lol. But it's ok for the rest of us to pay for someone's child who will end up shooting people as a gang member?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Part of the solution is to stop creating it in the first place. The younger generation has been taught that everyone gets a trophy and there are no losers and everyone is equal. When they finally get out in the real world, they find out they've been lied to and can't handle the pressures of everyday life. They feel they have nothing left and act out in desperation. Society is creating these mentally disturbed people by not preparing them for reality. Why do you think almost all mass shooters are in their 20's or younger?
Schizophrenia and psychosis is caused by giving kids trophies??? Thank you professor Freud. I said we should have a serious discussion and people come up with this trolling garbage

Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 PM

20,463 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Amen... and lets also point out that these same kids were also protected from any kind of moral teaching....and given the idiocy that there is no real "right or wrong" and that they simply need to find their own path.

we created this mess now we are reaping the fruit of our labor.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I know. And I know someone who needs treatment but refuses to address the issue.

It scares the crap out of me.
It's not just the person you know, but we as a society. I understand that mental illness is a taboo and people often get uncomfortable, often resorting to jokes or attempts to change the topic, look at this thread for proof. Point is that we as a society try to sweep it under the rug, but that isn't helping.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,996 times
Quote:
The younger generation has been taught that everyone gets a trophy and there are no losers and everyone is equal.

When they finally get out in the real world, they find out they've been lied to and can't handle the pressures of everyday life.

They feel they have nothing left and act out in desperation. Society is creating these mentally disturbed people by not preparing them for reality.
Might have disagreed with you before in the past, but on this issue I'm 100% with you, brother.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Might have disagreed with you before in the past, but on this issue I'm 100% with you, brother.
So coddling kids creates homicidal mass murderers? And here I thought it created spoiled brats. Where did you get your psychology degree from, Harvard??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies