Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can express empathy without quoting scriptures and bringing up God, but the speakers chosen to quote the bible and mention God, which is something Christian people do. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the congress, it unlikely the GOP congress will pass any federal gun control laws knowing majority of Americans are against such laws. Installing gun bans is political suicide. Obama and dems can talk all they want to appease those who support bans, but they know any proposals will be rejected.
People expressing their feeling in religious terms is fine, but it doesn't make the expression more, or less, valid. As far as the issue, hell even a majority of NRA members favor some control, so I doubt seriously the majority of Americans are against some control of weaponry and it's capabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 05:56 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,737,038 times
Knowing Obama, it will be NATO (No Action Talk Only).

Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
People expressing their feeling in religious terms is fine, but it doesn't make the expression more, or less, valid. As far as the issue, hell even a majority of NRA members favor some control, so I doubt seriously the majority of Americans are against some control of weaponry and it's capabilities.
I wasn't talking about "valid", I simply said they spoke like Christians speak.

Most Americans are against gun bans. Better? The laws we have today are just fine.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Gun control along with recognizing mental illness sooner and more effectively will help.
Not gun control but play control. Look at how making killing "fun" and shooting ones friends is the new sport to play and you have some of your answers.

400 FPS AGM M14 SOCOM RIS High-Powered Sniper Rifle w/ Tactical Rail System Flashlight and Red Dot Scope - OD GREEN

2013 CUSTOM PATRIOT JG M4 S-System AEG Rifle "PUNISHER" w/ Full Metal RAS + Zoom Scope + M203 Grenade Launcher

340 FPS DE AK47 Krinkov CQB Fully Automatic Electric AEG Rifle - NEWEST ENHANCED MODEL or my favorite AMS Urban Sniper Package: 470 FPS WellFire APS SR-2 Sniper Rifle w/ Scope & M58 Shotgun w/ M1911 Pistol
All of these can be purchased online, fairly inexpensive and are definitely weapons of war. No background check required or age restriction enforced.
Thing is, they're Airsoft guns that shoot plastic BB's. Google 'em and you'll see what I mean.

As an example, Airsoft is pretty common in our neighborhood so the other day we're driving through the subdivision and out pops this short person wearing all black "swat" type clothing including the head balaclava carrying an M16.
First thing that popped into our minds, is this a nut with a gun running loose? He pulled up his face covering and we realized it was a kid about 12 years old who'd taken off or painted the orange tip of his airsoft gun (hopefully it was airsoft) and we kept going on our way thinking "that kid is could very easily get himself shot by a cop or resident running around like that".

I also remember when we first moved in a few years ago seeing the 16-17 year old across the street come out one day dressed in full cammo looking just like the AF personnel that live all around us (we live by an AF base) carrying what looked like a 50 Cal machine gun and a M16 on his back. Definitely caused some "pause" as we were not yet aware of all the people playing with airsoft around here.

Here's my point, it isn't about banning guns, they are tools and always have been, that won't stop anything.

It's about not glorifying or teaching that killing is a game. Not only do you have all the realistic video games but this stuff puts realistic looking/feeling weapons in the hands of little kids without any supervision or conversation about the nasty business of killing people.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Eeehhh...it would have to be the GOP Congress who takes them. Seriously. Presidents do not create laws.

As for the speech, it clearly portrayed him as a Christian person, and he also did not push for any particular solution for the problem, he only said we need find a solution, and I don't think anyone can disagree with that.
Obama has been nothing but neutral on the gun issue throughout his presidency, even now. I think he is talking about common sense measures. He is not just addressing the guns but mental illness as well.

These gun nuts should not hate Obama they way they do but you know there is the color thing they just can't get past even if he has been very tolerant of their crazy gun ways.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:13 AM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
Watching Obama speak at the memorial service, right now.

It is clear. This has finally been the tipping point.

Better stock up rednecks, because we're coming for the guns.
Yes, like no one in the ghetto has a gun.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about "valid", I simply said they spoke like Christians speak.

Most Americans are against gun bans. Better? The laws we have today are just fine.
I don't believe there is any credible call to ban guns. There is a call to limit the extent of capabilities. In that area, the guns laws are abysmal.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:20 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,039 times
I wonder if Obama will go after his biggest supporters, Hollywood? After all, an "all of the above" solution is what Obama likes when trying to deal with problems. Why not a simple 15 year ban on violent movies and video games?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,673,111 times
Obama should focus on people with mental problems rather than our freedoms.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:39 AM

40,953 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I wonder if Obama will go after his biggest supporters, Hollywood? After all, an "all of the above" solution is what Obama likes when trying to deal with problems. Why not a simple 15 year ban on violent movies and video games?
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Obama should focus on people with mental problems rather than our freedoms.
Have you seen the new trailer for Tom Cruises new movie ? Full of Automatic weapons and explosions.

These will be the 1st Obama Hypocrites that says we should ban certain weapons but it's OK for them to glorify in order to make a load of cash.

Hollywood should either put up or shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies