Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,589 times

Advertisements

We Americans like to look at everything in black and while. We're the good guys and they're the bad guys and all that jazz.

I have been thinking about the shooting in Sandy Hook. There is no question that the act was immoral and caused extreme pain and suffering to many people. However, I don't know if it is enough to call Lanza evil for what he did. It seems that the man suffered greatly mentally and emotionally. I know everyone has problems and few will go and kill innocent people because of them. We truly will never know just how much pain he felt inside.

What do you think? Is Adam Lanza evil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:23 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
I know without a doubt that the act he committed was an evil act...not just immortal like you're labeling it. But I don't think any of us knows enough about him to call him an evil person just yet. What we do know leans more to him being being troubled individual rather than pure evil. When I think of an evil person I think of the Charles Manson types. Lanza undoubtedly felt pain because he wanted committed suicide where as a truly evil person wants to live to "enjoy" their evil work.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
That's a good question. Is insanity evil?

I've always contemplated this. At what point do we stop blaming the person and blame their mind? And when I think that, I think, how can we even draw that distinction?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
He was mentally ill and should have been institutionalized... A Killer waiting to happen.... Typical of the type.

The type who killed my in laws....

I would put money up on a bet he killed other things before, starting with bugs and reptiles, amphibians maybe, moved up to kittens and maybe puppies which is typical of these mentally ill....

It is what the killer did before he killed my family, and everyone knew it... yet no one did anything about it.

In fact this IS the Real Issue........

What will we do about the real issue?

I tried to start a thread on this last night in a different way, but the powers that be had a problem...

Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
We Americans like to look at everything in black and while. We're the good guys and they're the bad guys and all that jazz.

I have been thinking about the shooting in Sandy Hook. There is no question that the act was immoral and caused extreme pain and suffering to many people. However, I don't know if it is enough to call Lanza evil for what he did. It seems that the man suffered greatly mentally and emotionally. I know everyone has problems and few will go and kill innocent people because of them. We truly will never know just how much pain he felt inside.

What do you think? Is Adam Lanza evil?
The epitome of evil. To be cold-hearted enough to shoot his mother asleep in bed three times in the face, and then methodically shoot crying babies one at a time? Do you really need to ask?

We may call him insane, but the only reason we say this is because trying to understand their twisted thoughts is beyond our capability to comprehend. I imagine the evil person finds it difficult to comprehend our notions of right and wrong, since it's completely foreign to them.

I'm sure Adam knew what made others around him upset, so he tried not to do them, but I doubt he truly ever understood why. we all went thru that part of our childhood. Our parents became upset when we went running into the street, or hitting our younger sibling with a stick, so we did not do it. At two years old we were too young to know why mom was made at us, but as we grew older we learned why it was bad to run into a busy street, or to hurt other people. Adam just never learned why, it was beyond his capability to understand.

Last edited by Wapasha; 12-18-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Defintely an act of evil, but I'm waiting to see if he was on any medication that may have turned him into an aggresive zombie like so many of these types of killers before him.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Defintely an act of evil, but I'm waiting to see if he was on any medication that may have turned him into an aggresive zombie like so many of these types of killers before him.
He was...... search 'aspergers' he will pop right up.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Whoa there. Here's how sick the guy was: he believed the best course of action available to him was to kill all those people. He is not the first, and he will not be the last, severely mentally ill person who got "aged out" of intensive programs available through age 18....only to bring a pile of heartache to society very shortly thereafter.

Mental illness is the problem here, not evil.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
He was mentally ill and should have been institutionalized... A Killer waiting to happen.... Typical of the type.

The type who killed my in laws....

I would put money up on a bet he killed other things before, starting with bugs and reptiles, amphibians maybe, moved up to kittens and maybe puppies which is typical of these mentally ill....

It is what the killer did before he killed my family, and everyone knew it... yet no one did anything about it.

In fact this IS the Real Issue........

What will we do about the real issue?

I tried to start a thread on this last night in a different way, but the powers that be had a problem...
Killing and torturing animals, etc., is a classic symptom of psychopathy. Of course we don't imprison all psychopaths; there are many of them in everyday life and most of them do not actually murder people......they just manipulate them and emotionally hurt them, and take everything they can from them, use and abuse them, etc., etc., etc., then move on.

As for this person who killed HIS MOTHER and all those children and teachers, I don't think he was "evil".........and I do believe he was very mentally disturbed and his mother was mistaken to think that she could care for him at home. So far the only thing I've read is that he was diagnosed with Aspergers. But who knows? Surely there was more.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
I believe he was mentally ill. Not evil. He should have been committed to a mental hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies