Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,162,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Now lets see your studies on the white supremacist threat in Idaho hero.
I will be happy to list violence perpetrated by white supremacists, but first you must validate your assertion that schizophrenics represent a significant danger to the public. Get to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No you and your buddy are trying to deflect this onto moonbat white separatists in Idaho. You have the mental problems.
I am not sure what a moon bat is but with 12.5 gun deaths per 100,000 people and the second most permissive gun laws, Idaho ranks at #15/50 deadliest gun state.

I am not aware of any situation in Idaho that resembles what happened in Newtown.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,417,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. When you purchase a firearm and fill out a federal 4473 form, one of the questions that disallows you from owning a gun is "have you ever been adjucated mentally incompetant", or words to that effect. It has me wondering, is there any federal database or registration of the mentally ill? If not...how are any gun laws supposed to prevent the nutcases from buying a firearm? Is such a database any kind of constitutional violation? (can't say how, there is no right to crazy).
Key words here: "adjucated mentally incompetent." That means that a court of law finds you mentally incompetent. In Florida that would be via something called the Baker Act. It's not that easy actually to get what we call "Baker Acted" and institutionalized. "Adjucation" means there's a court record of your having been legally found incompetent.

People who admit themselves or their relatives manage to get them admitted to a mental health facility (a private one) are not "adjucated mentally incompetent" by a court because institutionalization was not accomplished via the courts.

Then there are so many people who seek outpatient treatment, etc., etc., and their symptoms can escalate, etc. I don't think there is any "data base" out there one can access to determine if you've ever been treated for any sort of mental illness.....that stuff is part of your private medical records.

Usually, it is only poor people and street people who are taken to court to have committed to a mental health facility (you know there are very few of those places anymore), as in Florida via the Baker Act.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,037,364 times
You can go read those studes I posted. Now lets see about all those folks in Idaho who are a threat to the country. Or are you full of sheet?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,037,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am not sure what a moon bat is but with 12.5 gun deaths per 100,000 people and the second most permissive gun laws, Idaho ranks at #15/50 deadliest gun state.

I am not aware of any situation in Idaho that resembles what happened in Newtown.
Well according to the comet we should all be worried about Idaho.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
PTSD is a mental illness and a disproportionate number of veterans suffer from PTSD. If we are going to start locking up the mentally ill, it will entail locking up many of these vets, which presents a dilemma for right-wingers, because they are eager to deflect attention from guns, yet most of them have this military fetish that is only equaled by their gun fetish (and possibly their fetus fetish.)
My husband is a Viet Nam Vet. I don't think anyone knew what PTSD was back then so no one got it.
My husband is an Independent, like me and does not own a gun. Then again, neither of us have been to the beautiful state of Idaho. Do you think perhaps there might be something in the water?.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What are the standards by which one is "adjudicated mentally incompetant"? I'm thinking being a registered Democrat would be a sufficient indication
"adjudicated" means that a court of law has found you to be mentally incompetent. For example, look up the Baker Act in Florida.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...m/incompetency

Btw, I've never had to be "adjudicated" to be a Democrat.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 12-19-2012 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post

In Florida that would be via something called the Baker Act. It's not that easy actually to get what we call "Baker Acted" and institutionalized. "Adjucation" means there's a court record of your having been legally found incompetent.
The Baker Act means a court oder for an involuntary examination of an individual.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Baker Act means a court oder for an involuntary examination of an individual.
"The legal procedure for declaring a person incompetent consists of three steps: (1) a motion for a competency hearing, (2) a psychiatric or psychological evaluation, and (3) a competency hearing. Probate courts usually handle competency proceedings, which guarantee the allegedly incompetent person Due Process of Law"

At the competency hearing a person can be committed for four months. Read the link. People in the State of Florida do get committed to mental health facilities if they are found mentally incompetent and there is no one to take care of them.

You may want to read the whole link.

incompetency legal definition of incompetency. incompetency synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,269,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
He was without a doubt a sociopath...
Ah, but only AFTER he had already massacred 27 people. Up until that moment, he was a law-abiding citizen who played with weapons exactly like every gun nut on this forum. He was JUST LIKE YOU as far as ANYONE knew.

Afterward, well, too bad, so sad. That's the price you pay for your "freedom" to fondle killing machines, isn't it?

And you fanatics wonder why the sane people fear you and your gun-worshipping friends. Any of you ... heck, MANY of you ... could be just as crazy and no one will know until AFTER you've massacred more first graders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies