Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

I am a big fan of Jefferson. He was an intellectual, exceptionally eloquent, bought Oregon from the French,etc., liked to stick up for the farmers,etc., but the constant quoting of Jefferson as some demigod gets old. He is a president from over 200 years ago! Will we be quoting Bush or Obama as a super human sage in 2312? No friggin way!

He was just a president! His viewpoints mean no more or less than those of Washington, Adams, Jackson, Lincoln, Garfield, Roosevelt,etc.,etc.,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am a big fan of Jefferson. He was an intellectual, exceptionally eloquent, bought Oregon from the French,etc., liked to stick up for the farmers,etc., but the constant quoting of Jefferson as some demigod gets old. He is a president from over 200 years ago! Will we be quoting Bush or Obama as a super human sage in 2312? No friggin way!

He was just a president! His viewpoints mean no more or less than those of Washington, Adams, Jackson, Lincoln, Garfield, Roosevelt,etc.,etc.,etc.
I suppose he is often quoted because he left a legacy I believe 16,000 letter he wrote during his lifetime. He made sure to make copies of his writings. Also, he did write the Declaration of Independence. He, of course was a Founding Father. Whether his viewpoints mean no more or no less than other American historical figures is a matter of personal opinion I suppose. For some reason historians quote him a lot. As I said I suppose it has to do for the simple fact that he left a huge legacy in his writings.

Also, keep in mind that he was a President, embassador, governor, vice-president, inventor, architect, etc. Ah! how about the University of Virginia.

Maybe his viewpoints are often quoted because he seems to have written more than on them than the other figures you quote. Take care.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
People back then had better minds and honor, and their ideas of Freedom o speech were tempered with Dueling on the Field of honor. At that time you were bound by your honor, and if you insulted people like is done here on CD you were subject to backing up your BS or being banished as a coward..

If this happened on CD only half of us would be left now.

Evidently in urban areas these days too many males are drinking too much estrogen laden water....

Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Simple.

He said things worth quoting.

In 200 years nobody will say "mission accomplished" simply because it's not worth saying.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Simple.

He said things worth quoting.

In 200 years nobody will say "mission accomplished" simply because it's not worth saying.
Can't argue with this! Well said.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:19 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,277 times
As John Kennedy said to a gathering of Nobel Prize winners in the White House-- "I think this is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered at the White House - with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

Jefferson was a brilliant writer (although James Madison was probably even better), and had one of the great, questing minds of his or any age. He designed not only Monticello but the original campus of the University of Virginia, both national treasures. He is the father of the Louisiana Purchase, the single most important act that made the United States into a world power. He was an endless inventor and experimenter, especially regarding horticulture. As for writing, I think the day we stop quoting the best-known thing he wrote--the Declaration of Independence-- we'll be lost as a country. Here's his rough draft of the first page of the Declaration.

He was also a ruthless politician and I won't attempt to justify his two-faced attitude towards freedom on the one hand and slavery on the other. But he was a great man in a time when the country was blessed to have so many great men, and needed every one of them to survive.

Go to Monticello if you've never been and see the world he created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies