Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 03:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
They are called public schools aren't they. It is mandatory that parents put their children in them,
unless they home school. Is not that the law? So, parents should leave their children in a
place that has no functional security in place?

You could hire veterans from
Iraq and Afghanistan to protect our schools. Even active duty military, as far as I'm
concerned. They already protect civilians over there, why not here?
Yes, lets put an armed Zimmerman into every grade school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Lets say you did have registry of gunowners. Although automatically you show your true colors by calling her a gun nut. To you just because someone has guns they are automatically a "nut" nevermind they cold be sane and gentle people in fact.

But what would you do with a registry registering say me or some other members here that are pro gun and outspoken , What would you do with such a registry? I think you would badger and intrude on us is what I think you would do with it. But please tell me....

Your interpretation of "stockpile" would seemingly be a slippery slop itself.
At least we'd know where the guns are.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Unfortunately there are a high percentage of veterans suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. Is that really who you want protecting kids?
Exactly, they would not pass the mental health screening, that the gunners suggest, to even possess a gun!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Exactly, they would not pass the mental health screening, that the gunners suggest, to even possess a gun!
Also I'm not saying that all veterans have PTSD, but that veterans as a group have a higher incidence of PTSD due to the trauma they suffer in combat. I would think that very few veterans would be interested in having an occupation that involved guns. Most are as eager as they can be to get away from them, and any reminder of combat.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well then only folks who have a drivers license should have to pay for roads. On and on we could go.
There is a state tax on gas to pay for road maintenance.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:35 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
At least we'd know where the guns are.
Well that sounds exactly like a list and address for confiscation. Even if you did know were the guns where how is that going to stop them being used in a crime? Is it doing much good knowing where the guns are (were) after this last Friday unless you had a crystal ball knowing the future?

The only thing good for knowing where the guns are is for ahead of time taking them.........

Old 12-21-2012, 03:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
It's still just one individual, one armed guard. That doesn't mean a shooter can't break in somewhere in the school and still wreak havoc --- before the armed guard even gets close to them.
Yes, Columbine had an armed security officer. But he was no match for the assault weapons and high capacity magazines used by the killers Harris and Klebold.

But - as the gun lovers say - nothing is perfect. They are willing to put up with some uncertainty with regard to armed guards. But don't dare suggest any type of gun control! Because none of perfect.

And there - they require perfection.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
As a retired teacher, the mother of a teacher, the mother-in-law of a teacher, the aunt of a teacher I know a lot about teaching and what takes place in the classroom. I am trying to picture the scenerio invisioned by those advocating that teachers become armed guards of the children they teach. Do they seriously picture a teacher walking around the classroom with a book in one hand and a gun in the other? Do they seriously imagine that an insane gunman barging into the room firing an assault weapon would politely wait for the teacher to get her/his gun from the lock box in which it would have to be kept to keep a child from taking it? Do they seriously suppose that the teacher's colleges would have to institute classes in marksmanship as part of the curriculum? Seriously people....take a moment and think this idea through.

Why don't you just be honest. You know darned well that civilians are not going to get together and use their arsenals to overthrow the government....especially when the government has the bombs. You also know darned well that assault weapons serve only ONE purpose....to kill human beings. SO just be honest and admit that you so need that macho feeling that having the ability to wipe out a neighborhood gives you that you are willing to sacrifice thousands of innocent people to mass murders rather than get rid of those assault weapons. I just want you to own the fact that as more little babies are killed with these weapons that you fight to prevent being banned, their blood will be on your hands.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I dunno. How stupid was it that the last Congressional weapon ban (94) didn't
prevent MCVEIGH OR COLUMBINE.

Just remember, Tim McVeigh did not use a gun. Neither did the terrorists on 9/11.
But that you already know.....

I say Congress - hands off - Take away their pens - goes for the President too.
Note this graph. What happened in 1994?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Thanks to Wayne LaPierre and folks like you, I donated to the NRA again today!

They need our help.
Exactly, because the NRA, along with gun buyers, will be paying for the extra security needed in schools because of guns.

In fact, I suggest you write the NRA a big check for this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies