Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
This is a bunch of bull****.

Note that historically dark blacks hated light skinned blacks and NOT the other way around. The same old bull****...
Garbage. Ever heard of the paper bag test? Now, there may have been resentment towards light skinned black in the past, because some of them were part of the continued oppression of darker black people, esp in the south. Looking at mt own family history, which includes biracial people not claimed at all by there white fathers, and one who was, I believe that the vast majority of blacks felt united in the past.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
This is a bunch of bull****.

Self hatred lolololol.

The only one bashing anyone is you. Of course, we called out the behavior and you oblige us with a demonstration...

Note that historically dark blacks hated light skinned blacks and NOT the other way around. The same old bull****...

Self hatred, wants to be white, ashamed of their culture...

GTFO with that nonsense...

How about instead of worrying about biracial culture and goings on you fix the mess in your own house... Hmm... What a novel idea.
You are a prime example of the mess in our house, which is your house.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
This is a great panel series for those who have holes in their thoughts on this issue...

Beyond the Brown Paper Bag Test: Panel Part 1 - YouTube

Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Garbage. Ever heard of the paper bag test? Now, there may have been resentment towards light skinned black in the past, because some of them were part of the continued oppression of darker black people, esp in the south. Looking at mt own family history, which includes biracial people not claimed at all by there white fathers, and one who was, I believe that the vast majority of blacks felt united in the past.

Beyond the Brown Paper Bag Test: Panel Part 2 - YouTube

Old 12-30-2012, 01:01 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
lol @ the brown paper bag test.

Everyone should be given that test after 2 weeks in the Caribbean sun.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:55 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Anyone got a mirror?

Talk about bull****. I'm from New Orleans where passing for white became a high art form and the Brown Paper bag test was de rigueur for access to for entering "Creole" or 7th Ward society (see Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority,).

The Negro shape of black antipathy ran in both directions having been fostered by the slave aristocracy. It is an antipathy that I am too painfully aware of having members firmly planted on both sides and having watched and experienced its debilitating effects on the movement for black liberation. It was a crippling mentality that the Black Awareness movement of the 1960's was in part intended to destroy.

If you aren't aware of the historical true of that, you are unaware of African American history, or you've missed the copious examples that have been on display here on CD.

HOWEVER, I am also aware that amongst the current crop of BIRACIAL children like my daughter, the issue of biracialty(sic) has consciously become an identity for the expressed purpose of not having to deny the racial identity of either parent. To not be placed in a position to choose. Personally, I think that it is naive in certain aspects (as my daughter has also discovered) but I have not opposed it because it is a positive movement for the future.
Yes, on the paper bag test. My maternal family was guilty of that for years. My great grandmother, the product of a Scottish father and a Native mother was very much into that. She was a beloved person, to be sure, but it was understood that you would not be marrying anyone who was darker than "a paper bag". Ditto for someone who had kinky hair. Heck, when I was born, she wanted to know what was the origin of my name. "Riaelise" sounded far too ethnic for her, who was accustomed to British names. In her country, colorism was a big thing and mixed race people always married each other if they didn't outmarry. I found this so disgusting, but I guess it was a generational thing.

It's not right, but it did exist.

I wonder when my children, if ever, will wonder about their race. At 6 years old, my daughter has never asked me anything about her race or her appearance. Her school is still largely white, but enough multi-ethnic faces to not make her stick out. She has absolutely no concept or concern about race whatsoever. For all I know, she may never wonder if she's "different". She sees herself first and foremost as a kid. We at home don't make a deal of race, so who knows, it may never be an issue for her.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post

Notice the key words here: IN THE PAST

In this day and age it is often the opposite: black folks have issues with mixed people who don't rush to identify as black. Look at how they flipped when Tiger Woods said he was mixed, which he is.

And at least he looks black. I never could pass as black, and so many times black people called me certain terms of endearment usually reserved for Latinos. Black people have treated me bad my entire life because of the color of my skin and my origin. I can't live in someone else's past, but I remember my own.

As for "black unity", let me say this: THAT'S THE DAMN PROBLEM! Blacks in the past got together and fought for their rights. Then when the gays, women, and Latinos were fighting for their's WHERE THE HELL WERE THE BLACKS?

Black people turned around and screamed at the Latinos the minute they started moving into black neighborhoods. Black people can be some of the most homophobic Americans you'll ever meet.

Bottom line: I am not black, but I am a minority and a person of color. If I see a black man victimized by the heterosexist, white power establishment, I am for the black man. But guess what? I am 100% behind amnesty for "illegals"...hell, we are ALL ILLEGALS IN THE END, JUST ASK THE NATIVES. Same with the gays. I am straight but I donated money to help pass Referendum 74 and let same sex couples get married. We should all unite against the heterosexist, white capitalist power structure. Blacks rarely want to here that and instead, they do things like this:

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Racial Tension Rising in Dallas Against Korean Community

Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is correct but their whole point is that they do not want to be both. They know that they are not considered "white" but definitely do not want to be "black". Their only alternative is to create a "new taste" and be designated as a separate racial category (one which they believe will also be a higher caste)

There is no "new taste"! Go to South Africa and tell the Coloureds that they are "new", and they'll love to hear it. I am just saying we have different experiences and are different and look different. Hence, we are different, and the rest of the world HAS UNDERSTOOD THIS FOR AGES:

Coloured - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pardo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But oh yes, this is America and we are right, the rest of the world is wrong...just like the rest of the planet is wrong for using the metric system

And how the hell do you think saying I'm "different from black" mean I'm "better than blacks?" I guess Mexicans think they are better than black Americans too, as do African immigrants...

Quote:
Also note that 100% of the anger and vitriol in this thread has been directed at "black" people even though "black" people are not the ones who ultimately decide how biracials/multiracials are perceived racially in this country. Blacks did not establish the "one drop rule" nor did blacks enforce the "one drop rule" as a matter of law. Yet notice that they NEVER express their anger about the majority of "whites" who classify them as "black".
GIVE ME A BREAK! BLACKS ARE THE ONLY ONES PUSHING THAT CRAP IN THE YEAR 2012!

Halle Berry Cites One-Drop Rule: Is Her Daughter Black or White? - ABC News

Actress Paula Patton Says The Term “Biracial” Is Offensive | Breaking News for Black America

Quote:
The self hatred runs so very deep. But I do hope that these individuals find some sense of resolution because elements of the "one drop rule" have been deeply woven into the fabric of American society. Biracials who are bashing "black" people (as we have seen throughout this thread) in order to prove that they are not like them is really no different than any other form of bigotry.
So, I must really hate them Japanese. I mean, I am 100% not Japanese and I will have words with anyone who says I am. Same with the Norwegians, I must hate them too. Or how about Dominicans? People think I'm from the DR all the time and I tell them I am not, hence I probably hate Dominicans by your "logic" too.

And how the hell could I hate being African if I'm the only one on this thread showing any praise for Africans? Want to see self-hatred? LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE OF AFRICAN DESCENT WHO HATE AFRICANS AND MAKE FUN OF THEM AND AFRICA ALL THE TIME!

People yell at me for in minute for simply pointing out that yes, just as I look non-black I am, will in the next minute jump up and yell "I ain't no African!"

I am not black, but I am not white. I do not think I am better than blacks but I do admit, no, I AM PROUD OF HAVING AFRICAN BLOOD IN MY VEINS. Why the hell am I the only one saying that?

I ask "why can't African Americans be more like Nigerian immigrants?" and I get a bunch of self-hating blacks saying "why can't Nigerians even fix their own country?" or "those savages run around naked back in African eating pygmies and cutting their women's private parts" and blah blah blah. That is self hate, but nobody wants to admit it.

Bottom line is this: I say "I am not black or white" and that somehow means "I hate being black and think I'm better than blacks." But they say "I am not African and Africans are a bunch of booty scratchers who live in the jungle and their countries are all a mess", and that makes them "proud of being black" Idiotic as hell.

And no, I don't think I will be "privileged" by being brown instead of white. There is a heterosexist white power establishment in America, of course. But news flash: THEY HATE OTHER MINORITIES TOO!

Do you really think mestizos are loved by America and never face racism?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Quote:
#1 Because when I proved quotes to the contrary of your original faulty point, it proves that you are incorrect. Just admit the fact that you were INCORRECT, apologize and move on.
Nope. Sorry, sister, but YOU identify yourself repeatedly on this forum as a black woman. That's what I said, and you then proceeded to tell me that I was wrong. So - I posted numerous of YOUR quotes in which you identify yourself as a black woman.

I'm fine with that - self identify all you want. Just don't be dishonest and try to say that you don't "present yourself" as a black woman.

Quote:
#2 Another poster informs you that you used their quote and attributed the post to me. (see below). It find it interesting that in your attempt to "get" me you have willfully misquoted me and others, taken quotes out of context and have not acknowledged that you were wrong one.single.time. But don't worry, we see you
Nope - actually, on several of my threads in which I posted numerous quotes, from this thread and others, I quoted multiple people - not just you. I believe this is one example. I do not think I misattributed a quote - if I did so, I definitely apologize. Could be wrong, but I'm not going to go back through this repetitive and irritating thread AGAIN, especially when all you'll do is come back and try to twist what I'm saying to fit your own agenda.

Wow, talk about ironic by the way. You accuse others of misquoting and misrepresenting and you yourself are very guilty of that offense. For instance, you repeatedly have tried to misquote my story about my daughter's surprise and bemusement at being called "a positive role model for young black women." I have stated over and over again that she was NOT offended by this, but merely taken aback ONLY BECAUSE she simply never thinks of herself as EITHER black OR white - she just doesn't think about race in her daily life and no part of her life revolves around the color of her skin. (I know that state of mind is very hard for you to imagine, but that's her reality.)

In spite of my repeated corrections and clarifications on this topic, you repeatedly state and imply that she was "offended" by being labeled by someone else as "black." She was NOT offended. I've stated this over and over again. You continue to twist the story.

Don't presume to tell me that I'm taking anything out of context or misquoting when you are doing so REPEATEDLY.

Quote:
This is what I said that set you off on your tirade...
Once again, you're mistaken. Much more than one quote by you is what I'm calling you on. It's not just one quote of yours - it's your propensity to "repackage, " misinterpret, and misrepresent yourself and others that I find tiresome - and dishonest.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 12-31-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Why would Japanese people be justified in feeling negatively about white people?
WW2? Hiroshima? Nagasaki?

Just a few reasons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies