Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 04:43 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Let's be real....during the times when those guys were coming of age, only "multiracial" people even had the opportunity to move up in social class. Have you ever looked at college photos prior to 1960 or so? People who looked like me were not invited to the party.

It took the GI Bill to open up opportunities to American blacks of all hues. But we don't need to mention the paperbag test again.

But it is OK, I have plenty of real life role models without wikipedia pages. Like my granddad and plenty of his contemporaries and their kids.
Eli Whitney, Jack Johnson, Vivien Thomas.

Enough said...

Though I agree, the military was very instrumental in bringing about equity.

There are plenty of good role models in this country.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Did he just call Condi Rice "multiracial"?

Nearly ALL African Americans have some non-subSaharan African ancestry...nearly ALL.
DNA doesn't lie... Be dubious all you want.

Rice discovered on the PBS series Finding Your Roots that she is of 51% African, 40% European and 9% Asian or Native American genetic descent, while her mtDNA is traced back to the Tikar people of Cameroon.

Thank you very much...

Most African Americans are in reality multiracial. That's the real issue.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Did he just call Condi Rice "multiracial"?

Nearly ALL African Americans have some non-subSaharan African ancestry...nearly ALL.
Crap! That means I am "mixed!" And not 100% black.

Although I should probably just claim "African," as my dad's family has roots here: Gullah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (and we are rice eaters)
And supposedly, on my mom's said there is some Ethiopian heritage a few generations back....

Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Well, I can't stand my family, both black and white (I have a decent brother and loved my grand parents, but they are both dead) As for "run screaming from any possible association from black people", these are the people I want to associate with: my fellow Africans.

Ancient African Civilizations - YouTube

Self-taught African Teen Wows M.I.T. - YouTube

JJC - We Are Africans (OFFICIAL VIDEO!!!) - YouTube

These are the blacks who I want nothing to do with and have nothing in common with:

Ludacris - Area Codes (feat. Nate Dogg) - YouTube

And why oh why do black Americans HATE BEING CALLED AFRICAN? I'm less than half African and I say with pride that I AM AFRICAN. Black Americans hate being African and embrace things like the "one drop rule" invented by their long dead "masters." That is what being black is: REMAINING IN A STATE OF ETERNAL SLAVERY LONG AFTER GETTING THE FREEDOM THE ANCESTORS FOUGHT FOR YOU TO HAVE.

Stop eating those guts (pig entrails and pig feet) speaking like you were denied an education (ebonics) and holding on to things like the one drop rule and you may get somewhere: i.e., stop acting like you're on the plantation. But most of all, blacks need to remember where they came from: AFRICA.

I am not black because I refuse to be what the oppressor wanted me to be. I am Italian by birth and African by the grace of God, and American by choice. Any self hating black who has a problem with that can toss my salad.
Its about time that Black people all over the world identify as Africans. Loving that song and video.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I was going to ask the same thing. Russians and Italians are nothing like each other, and Norwegians and Irish are polar opposites.

"Black" is a culture, because black Americans are one ethnic group. "White" is not a single ethnic group in America but is just an absence of non-white. Whites come in many different ethnic groups.

And yes, there are "black people" from different backgrounds, but when people say "black" they usually mean American born descendents of slaves, not Africans or West Indians.
Not true. When I say "black," I mean people who are descendants of Africans. Both of my parents are black - but both are not African American. "Black" people are not just American. You say that only because you live in America.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Its about time that Black people all over the world identify as Africans. Loving that song and video.
Sorry saying African puts everything my forefathers in America fought for. I am an American. I am Black. I am of African descent, but that was a long time ago.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:32 PM

On that pretty little Colbert thing:

I speak the truth. If you can't handle it, you can't handle it.

Quote:
Well, I can't stand my family, both black and white (I have a decent brother and loved my grand parents, but they are both dead) As for "run screaming from any possible association from black people", these are the people I want to associate with: my fellow Africans.

Ancient African Civilizations - YouTube

Self-taught African Teen Wows M.I.T. - YouTube

JJC - We Are Africans (OFFICIAL VIDEO!!!) - YouTube
While I admire the fact that you associate yourself with Africa and Africans - and I do because I do as well, I find it fascinating that you really know less about these cultures you love than you do the Italian culture (at least according to you) and the African American culture you hate.

I am proud of the largely unchanged African culture I inherited from my Afro-Caribbean ancestors.

Quote:
These are the blacks who I want nothing to do with and have nothing in common with:

Ludacris - Area Codes (feat. Nate Dogg) - YouTube
Big deal. So you don't like the caricatures you see in rap videos. Very few of us do.

Quote:
And why oh why do black Americans HATE BEING CALLED AFRICAN? I'm less than half African and I say with pride that I AM AFRICAN.
I am an African of the Diaspora and have always claimed that. I don't know what black Americans you are referring to.
Quote:
Black Americans hate being African and embrace things like the "one drop rule" invented by their long dead "masters." That is what being black is: REMAINING IN A STATE OF ETERNAL SLAVERY LONG AFTER GETTING THE FREEDOM THE ANCESTORS FOUGHT FOR YOU TO HAVE.

Stop eating those guts (pig entrails and pig feet) speaking like you were denied an education (ebonics) and holding on to things like the one drop rule and you may get somewhere: i.e., stop acting like you're on the plantation. But most of all, blacks need to remember where they came from: AFRICA.
Who are you addressing? Your African American relatives?
Quote:
I am not black because I refuse to be what the oppressor wanted me to be. I am Italian by birth and African by the grace of God, and American by choice. Any self hating black who has a problem with that can toss my salad.
You just said you weren't black. So who the hell are you to lecture black people about anything? And don't tell someone they can toss your salad - because you just might get what you're asking for. It's so funny that you would have the audacity to call anyone a self-hating black, when in fact your sense of self-hatred is overwhelming.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Quite a few of those, including Langston Hughes and Condi are multiracial...

Just saying...
Nah they're not......because they don't have one "black" parent and one "white" parent. Aren't those your criteria?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Nah they're not......because they don't have one "black" parent and one "white" parent. Aren't those your criteria?
Who ever said that's the criteria???

I never once stated that was the criteria.

I've clearly specified the difference between race and ethnicity. Perhaps if you bothered to read what people posted.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Who ever said that's the criteria???

I never once stated that was the criteria.

I've clearly specified the difference between race and ethnicity. Perhaps if you bothered to read what people posted.
Actually it was victorianpunk who made the statement that those Black Americans who have more than 50-60% subSaharan African ancestry could not "claim" biracial/mulitracial. But I can not quote him since I now have him on ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies