Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,917,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Want to see true inflation? Go to the grocery store...
Especially the produce section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
No, we're clear because hyperinflation hasn't happened ever
What I meant was...just because we haven't reached hyperinflation in the 4 year period as MTA stated..

We have had inflation, though.

Quote:
, and because it won't insofar as we continue to follow an economic model that has worked well in the past. The democratic model of economics works; the republican model of outrageous military spending, slashed domestic spending, and uneven tax burdens doesn't work - as evidenced by two economic depressions in less than a century and periodic bank panics in the era before the New Deal. Most of what you profess to "know" about macroeconomics is nothing more than fiction, crafted to fit a narrow agenda that supports the microeconomic interests of those who already have created an amount of wealth that they're comfortable with. In short, it's horse crap economics...and most people are beginning to do some figurin' and they don't like what they see. And at the end of the day...there's more of us -- a lot more.
OOOHHHH... "THERE'S MORE OF US"

Use the gang psyche out Yea, there are more of you who want to destroy the dollar. That doesn't fly in the face of it being a illogical thing to do.

Nobody here is advocating tremendous military spending. Stop building strawmen.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 AM

518 posts, read 407,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
What I meant was...just because we haven't reached hyperinflation in the 4 year period as MTA stated..

We have had inflation, though.

OOOHHHH... "THERE'S MORE OF US"

Use the gang psyche out Yea, there are more of you who want to destroy the dollar. That doesn't fly in the face of it being a illogical thing to do.

Nobody here is advocating tremendous military spending. Stop building strawmen.
The dollar isn't anywhere close to being destroyed -- at least not yet.

But since you raise the topic, let's point the real problem here; the real problem with the dollar is that it's not worth as much because of sovereign debt, not the fiscal policy of a democratic president. The problem is that Americans make less of what the world wants yet they want more of what the outside world makes. The problem of sovereign debt isn't just a matter of printing money to pay for welfare checks -- that's an incredibly minute component of the problem, and you'd understand that if you really knew what you profess to know about econ. Alas, you don't.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,992,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Food stamps have spiked during every prior recession. Why would anyone anticipate differently from the Great Recession?

With 10,000 people turning 65 each and every day, the elderly will be applying in serious numbers for what amounts to $1.50 per meal.
During. Too bad the recession ended in 2009. So how do you account for rising food stamps 3 years later?

Oh yea, we're heading for another recession. Great job, DC.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:

But since you raise the topic, let's point the real problem here; the real problem with the dollar is that it's not worth as much because of sovereign debt, not the fiscal policy of a democratic president. The problem is that Americans make less of what the world wants yet they want more of what the outside world makes. The problem of sovereign debt isn't just a matter of printing money to pay for welfare checks -- that's an incredibly minute component of the problem, and you'd understand that if you really knew what you profess to know about econ. Alas, you don't.
Trust, even my 8 and 9 year old sons understand that Americans are gluttons. The printing of money to pay for welfare checks is a relationship to this phenomenon..

I don't consider apathetic and entitled Americans a tantamount issue...as much as I have a problem with it from a personal values standpoint... I don't think it's the starting point that needs to be addressed.

But here is the thing....the fiscal policy of a Democratic president IS a problem when they are shuffling around intra-governmental holdings by borrowing against institutions (like SS and Medicare) to pay down the public debt while raising the national debt.

It's much easier to stick the American public with no lube than to turn around in 20,30,40 or 50 years and tell China to go suck it.

EDIT: And I was being generous with the above scenario because Obama isn't even paying down the debt...

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 12-27-2012 at 08:11 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,353,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
This coming fiscal year, the one that's already started, showed the first two months with a $292 billion deficit.

How am I suppose to take you serious now when you don't even know when the fiscal years start or end and where you're already at concerning those.

That wouldn't be so bad but you think you're going to suck billions upon billions out of the economy for free.
I KNOW when the fiscal year starts. The new taxes don't kick in until JANUARY - which will change revenue considerably. Try and use a little common sense will ya'? If you spent more time thinking and less time insulting me your posts would make a lot more sense.

Geeze!

Ken

Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,967,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11
Want to see true inflation? Go to the grocery store...
What will I see, a few items that represent an minor part of my budget fluctuate? Core inflation, which excludes food and energy prices, has been used for many years to guide Fed policy, on the grounds that food and energy are highly volatile, and basing policy on headline inflation would lead to overreaction to temporary shocks.

Quote:

You are on to something. Let's say that the dollar fell (although it hasn't) how would that be bad? It would make American goods and services more competitive and make foreign goods and labor in our stores more expensive, giving the incentive to use American labor and buy American goods.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,353,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Every measure? You don't seem to understand what a deficit is, and you don't seem to understand the role the federal reserve is playing in the recovery. Can you talk intelligently about the current actions of the federal reserve, or do you only look at positive measures and point-blank ignore any negative signs? We are in a short term recovery at the expense of long term growth.

My god the stupidity.
It seems to me that "stupidity" is clinging to political dogma in the face of economic evidence. You don't like what the DATA says so you simply ignore it and claim it's simply short term. Well, you know what -it's DATA. It's WHAT'S HAPPENING. You clowns keep saying the same thing over and over and over again - and it just doesn't happen.

Wingnuts are constantly going on about the dollar collapsing.
Opps! Didn't happen.
Wingnuts are constantly going on about the stock market collapsing again.
Opps! Didn't happen.
Wingnuts are constantly going on about hyperinflation.
Opps! Didn't happen.
Wingnuts are constantly going on that housing prices are going to collapse all over again.
Opps! Didn't happen.
Wingnuts are constantly going on about economic collapse and chaos and revolution and the end of the US.
Opps! Didn't happen.

There's a REASON for all that - your economic model is WRONG. You are making all your predictions on POOR ASSUMPTIONS. You THINK you understand the economy but clearly you DON'T - so don't lecture me about "talking intelligently". You folks have been wrong about practically everything.

Get back to me when you can actually show something you've been predicting ACTUALLY HAPPENING.
Until then it's just a bunch of theoretical BS.

Ken

PS - New UE claims just fell to the LOWEST LEVEL IN 4 1/2 YEARS - which you will no doubt see as another sign of pending economic collapse.

Last edited by LordBalfor; 12-27-2012 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Social Security has been running surpluses for decades and contributes nothing to the deficit.
Really now? You might want to tell that to Geithner and Sebelius.
Quote:
In 2011, Social Security’s cost continued to exceed both the program’s tax income and its non-interest income, a trend that the Trustees project to continue throughout the short-range period and beyond. The 2011 deficit of tax income relative to cost was $148 billion, and the projected 2012 deficit is $165 billion.

However, the projected assets of the DI Trust Fund decline steadily, fall below 100 percent of annual cost by the beginning of 2013, and continue to decline until the trust fund is exhausted in 2016.
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/tr/2012/tr2012.pdf

Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM

518 posts, read 407,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Trust, even my 8 and 9 year old sons understand that Americans are gluttons. The printing of money to pay for welfare checks is a relationship to this phenomenon..
Okay, explain how. I'll wait and see if you can actually explain it without being picked completely apart by the people here who actually work with macroeconomics every day and understand how this stuff works. With all my respects, I'm rather doubtful you can. I don't mean that to be an @ss; it's just that I see people tossing out statements about the economy with clearly no understanding of how the public debt and the sovereign debt actually work in economic terms.

That's the problem. You can't explain it, and nobody else can, either. The bigger problem is that you're voting for people who are going to make this problem a lot worse. The fiscal cliff tax hikes and the budget cuts are actually the result of a political party that refused to negotiate with the president or the senate. You'll get your balanced budget. The problem is, the budget won't stay balanced for long, once revenues fall. That's what you all don't seem to understand too well. The republican obsession with the debt is going to turn into the equivalent of the dog that keeps chasing its own tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies