Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Lawful is in the eye of the beholder for lack of any other verification.
But claiming relatives that don't even live in this country is beyond "lawful"..loophole or not.
And if the actual tax code allows for dependents living in Canada and Mexico in some situations, is it still a "loophole"?...

Processing for legal immigration takes time. The fact of my spouse and stepchildren not having a Social Security number at the time does not change my marital status, their dependent status, or that I am required to file a tax return to cover both myself and them. There are dependent children living outside of the United States that can be lawfully claimed.

Someone with an ITIN may not necessarily be living or working in the United States, meaning that claiming the tax credit potentially doesn't violate any laws, nor would it be "fraudulent"...

The ITIN process has significantly tightened up recently anyway, with requirements you can Google to get yourself up-to-date...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And if the actual tax code allows for dependents living in Canada and Mexico in some situations, is it still a "loophole"?...

Processing for legal immigration takes time. The fact of my spouse and stepchildren not having a Social Security number at the time does not change my marital status, their dependent status, or that I am required to file a tax return to cover both myself and them. There are dependent children living outside of the United States that can be lawfully claimed.

Someone with an ITIN may not necessarily be living or working in the United States, meaning that claiming the tax credit potentially doesn't violate any laws, nor would it be "fraudulent"...

The ITIN process has significantly tightened up recently anyway, with requirements you can Google to get yourself up-to-date...
In the case of illegals people were arrested and a bill passed in the House.
Some in government viewed it as fraud and tried to close that loophole.

I will add though that Harry Reid sees no problem with the current law and doesn't plan to act on it.
Refunds have gone from $2 billion to near $5 billion in 4 years.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You are incredibly dense.

Don't you see that giving a household $1000 of tax credit means $1000 (and a bit more) has been taken out of the economy somewhere else?

If the household with children buys $500 of diapers and $500 of child care - why is that more beneficial to the economy than $1000 in the hands of other taxpayers? They would spend it on dinner, groceries, or clothes/

Same impact to the economy!

Tax credits and deductions just shift things around. The government is making a judgment on where this money should be. It is offensive.
Offensive? No offensive is 1) Calling someone else a derogatory name. 2) Complaining that people want to keep their own money, 3) Complaining that OTHER people aren't supposedly paying more than they currently are.

Anyway, please expand upon your second paragraph because it doesn't make sense to me. Who is going to spend it on dinner, groceries, or clothes? If it's those that are using the tax credit then isn't purchasing goods and services creating employment needs??? Is this not a good thing??

Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:

I will add though that Harry Reid sees no problem with the current law and doesn't plan to act on it.
But you said it wasn't lawful if a dependent lives in another country. Note that the "Residency Test" determines whether the child resides in a household that can used to claim them as a dependent, not as whether they are residing in the United States. Surely you don't think that filing taxes are limited to, or can only claim dependents, of those physically living inside our country?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:09 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:

FactCheck.org : Tax Credits for Illegal Immigrants

That is why I can NEVER support Natl Council of LaRaza, Eva Longoria, George Lopez or any of the other traitors that support the rights of illegals over the rights of native born Americans.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Offensive? No offensive is 1) Calling someone else a derogatory name. 2) Complaining that people want to keep their own money, 3) Complaining that OTHER people aren't supposedly paying more than they currently are.

Anyway, please expand upon your second paragraph because it doesn't make sense to me. Who is going to spend it on dinner, groceries, or clothes? If it's those that are using the tax credit then isn't purchasing goods and services creating employment needs??? Is this not a good thing??
It's simple. $1,000 IS a $1,000. It doesn't smell sweeter or expand the economy any better just because it belongs to people with children. I hesitate to call them "taxpayers" because they're oftentimes "takers" more so that "taxpayers", just taking from those who work an honest day thanks to our stupid politicians.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But you said it wasn't lawful if a dependent lives in another country. Note that the "Residency Test" determines whether the child resides in a household that can used to claim them as a dependent, not as whether they are residing in the United States. Surely you don't think that filing taxes are limited to, or can only claim dependents, of those physically living inside our country?
Well I guess the government puts up with it until you have over $1 million in refunds going to a single apartment.

There's a line and it has been crossed by some due to lack of qualifying verification in the tax form.

Investigators: Child tax credit allows fraudsters a chance to cheat :: WRAL.com
Investigators tied at least 17 tax returns, totaling more than $62,000 in refunds, to a Charlotte apartment Figueroa leased. At another apartment nearby, investigators discovered 153 returns valued at $713,000 in refunds. Another address in the same apartment complex had 236 returns worth $1.1 million in refunds.

Investigators say the clustered addresses and a bank of mailboxes made for easy access to those refunds. An apartment complex manager told investigators Figueroa was seen taking mail from all three apartment mailboxes.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
In Illinois 54% of all births are on Medicaid. Explain why I should have to give these parents a tax break again?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
FactCheck.org : Tax Credits for Illegal Immigrants

That is why I can NEVER support Natl Council of LaRaza, Eva Longoria, George Lopez or any of the other traitors that support the rights of illegals over the rights of native born Americans.
I transposed my son's SS one year and took me 6 months to get it rectified and the IRS threatened me with back taxes for the 3 years I claimed him..yes he was 3 years old.

All I had was his birth certificate and SS card and they wanted more. What more ID can a 3 year old possibly have ?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
In Illinois 54% of all births are on Medicaid. Explain why I should have to give these parents a tax break again?
We beat you..Texas has 57% of births paid for by medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies