Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
because he may have been served an alcohol beverage - he is 19.
Does this stink of harrassment? What about the person that might have served him? Is this payback for his father's new book Government Bullies?
He posted bail.

Sen. Rand Paul's son arrested at North Carolina airport - U.S. News
Is a Senator's son above the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Did he have a companion along with him of age?
IIRC they limit the amount of liquids and gels you can bring on planes these days.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 01-07-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Is a Senator's son above the law?
Certainly not but does he deserve this scrutiny?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:48 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Certainly not but does he deserve this scrutiny?
He isn't getting any more scrutiny than any other politician's kid would get - or actor's kid or anyone else whose parent or parents are in the public eye.

It's a price the children of celebrities pay for their parents' choices.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
If a liquor store sells to underage, who gets in trouble? Do they arrest the kid? Hell no.
I see kids charged with underage consumption of alcohol all the time in the local newspaper. If Rand's son was smart enough to not be disorderly in the airport, he might have gotten away without being caught.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
He isn't getting any more scrutiny than any other politician's kid would get - or actor's kid or anyone else whose parent or parents are in the public eye.

It's a price the children of celebrities pay for their parents' choices.
I understand that but it's ridiculous.

I'll add something else, I was caught underage drinking more than once and let go to my parents without any citations. You have to wonder how many cops are going to make that decision if it's high profile person. I know you can make the argument they are more likely to get off but on the other hand that can blow up in the cops face.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I see kids charged with underage consumption of alcohol all the time in the local newspaper.
They don't even list something like that in my area unless it was a big party they busted which is rare.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Just read the most recently linked to article. His arrest for being wasted and causing a scene in public took place before noon. That's impressive. Sounds like he's well on his way to alcoholism.
If he were my son, he would be paying his own fines! Does the kid work or go to college?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
If he were my son, he would be paying his own fines! Does the kid work or go to college?
LOL, when I was young the fines were the last thing on my mind. Dad coming to get me was the big problem. Take me to jail please!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
I understand that but it's ridiculous.

I'll add something else, I was caught underage drinking more than once and let go to my parents without any citations. You have to wonder how many cops are going to make that decision if it's high profile person. I know you can make the argument they are more likely to get off but on the other hand that can blow up in the cops face.
But were you drunk and disorderly?

I wonder how the arresting officers even knew who this kid's father is? Paul is a fairly common last name (I've known a family or two in my lifetime with that name), and unless the kid made a point of telling them who his father is ("You can't arrest me! My father's Rand Paul and my Gramps is Ron Paul!"), how would they even know?

So, I think to assume that he was in some way targeted is off mark.

The fact that it made the news, however, would be because of who his family is, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies