Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:16 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,706 times

Advertisements

I just came across this article about a woman-prison guard who has been fighting for years to prevent violent sex-offending prisoners from watching violent-sexual movies. She explains how while or after watching such movies, such prisoners would harass her in disgustingly disrespectful ways.

At Iowa prison, a lonely battle against sex movies - Yahoo! News

Why are prisoners allowed to watch movies at all - but particularly violent ones??

This seems like a no-brainer to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
I just came across this article about a woman-prison guard who has been fighting for years to prevent violent sex-offending prisoners from watching violent-sexual movies. She explains how while or after watching such movies, such prisoners would harass her in disgustingly disrespectful ways.

Why are prisoners allowed to watch movies at all - but particularly violent ones??

Because at some point Progressives decided that people who infringe on the rights of others are still allowed to maintain their own rights while incarcerated.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
They should be watching the "Sound Of Music" etc

Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post

I agree, I don't see the purpose of allowing violent films but I have heard that prison guards themselves support tv viewing rights apparently it keeps the inmates more docile and easier to manage.

Last edited by Don Draper; 01-07-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
May see like a no brainer, but appears the prison in letting prisioners watch these violent movies, have their head up their butt's.

I understand rights of others, but when those rights jeoparadize the safety of another human, i will question it.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Disney or PG13 should be the only movies available in prison.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,731 times
Movies, TV, books are a privilege that is an effective management tool. Those things can be taken away for misbehavior. At least that was the case in Military Prisons where I worked. Federal lawsuits have probably made them "rights" in the civilian prisons.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:59 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Movies, TV, books are a privilege that is an effective management tool. Those things can be taken away for misbehavior. At least that was the case in Military Prisons where I worked. Federal lawsuits have probably made them "rights" in the civilian prisons.
Prisons can use privileges as a leverage tool, if you take away the leverage then there is little incentive for the inmates to fall in line. If I was a prison guard, I'd rather have a group of inmates vegetate in front of a tv than be bored and restless all day long.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Disney or PG13 should be the only movies available in prison.
Well, I guess that would have the pedophile stamp of approval.

Maybe time off from hard labor would be a better incentive?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
If she didn't like the job - she described it as "misery" - then why didn't she quit?

She kept herself in a miserable situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies