Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,587,566 times

Advertisements

Well, that sucks...cuz I almost NEVER answer my door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,879,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
What would be the best course of action? You're home watching TV, your spouse is in the home with 3 young kids and you hear someone breaking into the back door of your home. You come around the corner with a loaded self defense handgun and you see an intruder standing in your kitchen wearing a ski mask and holding a crow bar within 10' of you.

What's a better course of action than pulling a handgun and shooting the intruder? I'm assuming that you're able to handle a handgun because I am, I'm assuming that you've made sure you aren't going to shoot through a wall and kill someone else in the house because I would.

What's a better course of action.
A handgun is really not the best thing for burglars. A loaded 12 gauge kept up high on a wall where adults only can reach it is the best thing for burglars. And you can aim it low at the burglar's knees or feet and BOOM. The burglar is not dead and the shot did not go through any walls and endanger anybody else. The burglar only lays there screaming in pain and agony. Take your time dialing 911. No hurry on that.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,036,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I agree. There is nothing wrong with shooting someone who had broken into your home.

However, confronting the intruder with a gun is usually not the best course of action to take in that situation.
I agree shoot first ask question later

Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,879,803 times
Quote:
And always remember that dead intruders don't file lawsuits. I don't care what anyone says, triple tap to be safe and assess the situation from there. Carpet is replaceable, family members aren't.
Most states have the Castle Doctrine and they cannot sue you whether they live or not.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,395,042 times
Quote:
If you break in to my home my life is always more important than your life but you made that choice not me.
That sums it up perfectly, because they couldn't get shot unless someone was home and nobody would know what their intentions are, I'm thinking some of these people would just open their arms to the criminal.
When a person makes the choice to break into someones house they are the only person to blame if they get shot.

12,169 posts, read 17,690,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
Can I use sex toys instead?
I could see the headline: Death by Accujack!

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 01-07-2013 at 06:51 PM..

14,916 posts, read 13,140,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I agree shoot first ask question later
Oh good God no. Only shoot as a last resort.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,036,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Shooting someone to keep them from stealing property is wrong. There is no trinket or bauble that is worth killing someone over.

If a burglar is a valid threat to your safety, shooting them would be justified. Shooting someone because they tried to steal your big screen TV is immoral and repugnant behavior.
Break in to my house and I will shoot you dead over a stick of gum.... The fact you broke in just means you don't care about your own life like the OP said.

Hey it's you life have it the way you want...

Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,140,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, that sucks...cuz I almost NEVER answer my door.
I've never understood that. When someone is calling at your door, why wouldn't you answer?

I use to deliver UPS as seasonal job (college days). I was always amazed at how many times I tried to deliver a package that needed a signature (wine often), and somebody was clearly home, but wouldn't come to the door. More times then not they'd then call and complain that we didn't leave the package

Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,395,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
So......how many notches do you have on your gun Rambo. I cannot fathom folks like you that lay awake at night in a cold sweat......scared shiatless in case you hear an unfamiliar noise. And some of you, not all, have the balls to call yourselves men.
I didn't see anyone say they are scared, you must be dreaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies