Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If I am expecting someone/something (like a package requiring a sig - which you can track, btw), then I answer the door.
Otherwise, why bother? It's never anything good. More often than not, it's a package that can be left with no signature (and I can get that on my own time - not interrupt what I'm doing to run to the door for it - the guy leaves it there and runs off anyway). The other times it is almost always some solicitor violating the law by even being there ringing my doorbell. Then I get to have an unpleasant conversation about how I am going to call the police on their asses.

It's never anything good or worthwhile wasting my time going to answer...if it's going to be, I will already know about it ahead of time.
You don't seem to fit this, but I can tell you from delivering packages over college winter breaks it's astounding how many people have no clue a package is coming their way. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the phrase "What did she order now?"

I can't remember the last time I had a solicitor ring my bell - they seem to respect my "No Soliciting" sign (it it rather large). When I answer my door, I almost always find it's something good (or at least not something bad). And honestly, how often does it happen? My doorbell rings something like 5 times a month - answering the door is no hassle whatsoever.

When my doorbell rings, it's generally a friend or neighbor who's stopped by. I'm friends with my most of my neighbors, and at least two or three times a month one comes to the door to invite me over for dinner that night or to a BBQ that weekend or some other social function. And every now and then you get a stranger ringing for a good reason. I can think of two. Once a guy rang my bell to tell me a large branch had broken on my tree and looked like it was going to come crashing down on my car. Another time a guy rang to ask if the dog running around in the street was mine. I was my next door neighbors, and I went and grabbed the dog. That guy ringing my bell and me answering the door might have saved that dog's life.

I just don't see why you wouldn't answer your door. I've never have anything bad come from it - usually there person is there for a good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I just don't see why you wouldn't answer your door. I've never have anything bad come from it - usually there person is there for a good reason.
My friends/neighbors call or text when they want to tell me something.
If my dog has been found, they can easily put her in my yard. If I am home, she will be at my feet at all times anyway.

The solicitors around here are persistent and evil and even get permits (which still make it illegal if you post a sign, but now they are going to argue with you about it). I think (and the cops think) many of them may be a front, casing houses for robberies at later dates. We don't get many robberies, but it makes sense.
My doorbell is like my phone. Just because it exists does not mean I am at its beck and call. If I am doing something more important, I am not just going to drop everything and run to the door. And I have a pretty big house. It can take a while to get to the door (long enough some times that people have just given up and left). AND I have a baby...so I have to do something with him before I can go answer the likely pointless doorbell ring.

More often than not, it's a package I know is coming and can sit and wait at the door until I'm ready to get it.

I don't understand why you're a slave to your doorbell.
But then again, I am also one of those people who doesn't understand why people get mad if you don't answer a text in 5 minutes.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Sure you do Annie. And pigs can fly too..
Why in the hell would I lie about owning guns?

BTW, just how have you come to the conclusion I am lying? Care to explain your reasoning?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Multiple military and police drills have shown that the average attacker that is 21 feet away can get to you in 1.5 seconds.

1.5 seconds. A couple of breathes.

Since none of us are hardened killers you have to factor in surprise time and hesitation time.

You may have .3 to .5 seconds to get a shot off...

Anyone in my condo is within that range. They are therefore a threat and will be shot.

Without mercy, without fail.

Period.
Keep in mind most people who break into your house are there to steal things. They're not attackers intent on doing you harm. If an intruder sees you, he's most likely gonna run away.

That said, if I have a gun and find myself in the same room as an intruder, and if he makes one move towards me that I find even the slightest bit threatening, I'm going to shoot him.

I sleep upstairs in my house. My bedroom window opens onto a sloped roof that I can easily jump off of. If an intruder wakes me up and I hear him on the ground level, I'm going out the window and calling the cops from a neighbors.

If I'm in the basement when an intruder comes in, I'm grabbing the basement phone, locking myself in the storage room (the basement is partially finished -TV room, pool table), and calling the cops. If the intruder makes his way into the basement, I'd probably shout that I'd called the police, was armed, and if he continued into the basement I'd kill him.

If an intruder broke into my home when my niece was over and the intruder was between me and my niece, I'd grab the best weapon I could access, try to sneak up on him, and try my best to take him out. I'd then grab my niece and flee to a neighbors.

Each circumstance is different. But in every case I want to avoid confrontation if possible.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,953 times
Quote:
Keep in mind most people who break into your house are there to steal things. They're not attackers intent on doing you harm. If an intruder sees you, he's most likely gonna run away.

That said, if I have a gun and find myself in the same room as an intruder, and if he makes one move towards me that I find even the slightest bit threatening, I'm going to shoot him.

I sleep upstairs in my house. My bedroom window opens onto a sloped roof that I can easily jump off of. If an intruder wakes me up and I hear him on the ground level, I'm going out the window and calling the cops from a neighbors.

If I'm in the basement when an intruder comes in, I'm grabbing the basement phone, locking myself in the storage room (the basement is partially finished -TV room, pool table), and calling the cops. If the intruder makes his way into the basement, I'd probably shout that I'd called the police, was armed, and if he continued into the basement I'd kill him.

If an intruder broke into my home when my niece was over and the intruder was between me and my niece, I'd grab the best weapon I could access, try to sneak up on him, and try my best to take him out. I'd then grab my niece and flee to a neighbors.

Each circumstance is different. But in every case I want to avoid confrontation if possible.
You miss one important thing.

I'm that minuscule amount of time you have to determine whether they are there to steal or there to rape or kill.

If you decide wrong your time is up.

Its safer to assume they are their to kill you.

That's why the created SYG and Castle laws.

I'm not saying I am going to hunt them in my house but I am in a condo.

No basement or upstairs for me to hide...

Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
I think i see your point now. I wouldn't be surprised if you are a minority, living in the ghetto in Newark NJ, seeing first hand how a thug can shoot anyone in the face. Or perhaps it makes you feel superior to the other jackasses in Jersey who can't carry a gun because of stupid state laws. All for the wrong reasons. Why should you be superior to me Annie?[/color]

You are also for gay marriage. Good for you, amen. I don't care for the topic and hope to our creator our federal government doesnt either. You know how no gay marriage made you feel bad, there are other people on the other side of the coin. I can care less, doesn't bother me. But Annie, the government is not for you, nor those opposing gay marriage, it's for all.
OMG.....what in the hell are you smoking? How are you coming up with this stuff? Hallucinating perhaps?

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My friends/neighbors call or text when they want to tell me something.
If my dog has been found, they can easily put her in my yard. If I am home, she will be at my feet at all times anyway.

I don't understand why you're a slave to your doorbell.
But then again, I am also one of those people who doesn't understand why people get mad if you don't answer a text in 5 minutes.
I don't text. I've never sent one and never will. I much prefer in person contact - I even try and keep my phone conversations under 5 minutes. Perhaps that's why my friends often stop by. (I know. I realize I'm curretly interacting with people via an online forum - this is my exception).

I don't considering answering my door the 5-10 times somebody rings a month being a slave. It usually leads to a social invitation.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
I don't text. I've never sent one and never will. I much prefer in person contact - I even try and keep my phone conversations under 5 minutes. Perhaps that's why my friends often stop by. (I know. I realize I'm curretly interacting with people via an online forum - this is my exception).

I don't considering answering my door the 5-10 times somebody rings a month being a slave. It usually leads to a social invitation.
Yeah, our situations are obviously very different.
There are only 3 houses on my side of the street (they are placed a decent distance apart). We don't even get many trick-or-treaters because first you gotta walk from one house to the other...then you have to traverse the big driveway and go up the walk, etc, etc, etc. It's not a social 'run over to the neighbors' on a whim' type of set-up.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
You miss one important thing.

I'm that minuscule amount of time you have to determine whether they are there to steal or there to rape or kill.

If you decide wrong your time is up.

Its safer to assume they are their to kill you.

That's why the created SYG and Castle laws.

I'm not saying I am going to hunt them in my house but I am in a condo.

No basement or upstairs for me to hide...
You're clearly in a very different set of circumstances than I am. That obviously will dictate how you react to an intruder. I've constantly said the best scenario is to escape if possible. It's not always possible.

I use to live in a studio apartment on the 6th floor of a building. If an intruder broke in while I was there, he'd see me instantly (unless I was in the bathroom). If he didn't immediately leave, then of course I would react as if he's trying to do me harm. I would fight him as best I could with whatever I could use.

Right now I live in a two story house with a partially finished basement. If an intruder comes in at night, it will wake me up (I'm a very lite sleeper). In that case, I'm out the 2nd floor window and gone. If an intruder comes in while I'm in the basement (which is inescapable to the outside), I'd hide and perhaps threaten the intruder were he to come near to where I was hiding. If an intruder comes in the main floor while I'm also on the main floor, it really depends on the exact circumstances. There are 3 main floor entrances/exits (back door, front door, side/garage door that exits to back yard). If I could do so without being seen, I'd escape using one of those 3 exits or even by running upstairs and exiting the house via an upstairs window.

I don't want to put myself in harms ways. I want to minimize my risk of being killed or hurt. Even if I have a gun, I'm only going to use it in a fight if I'm cornered or if I have to fight my way to a loved one.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:

what you would do is different than what others might do. if a crook broke into my home and was in between my child and me, I would put 2-3 rounds in their body and then leave the home, family in tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies