Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,127,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I said I would wait in the hallway, alot different than hunting down the sob and killing them.
Not really. Why would you lie in wait if you could easily leave? Why take the risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,369,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
A rash of home invasions when people were actually home, or a rash of break-ins / robberies mostly when people were out?

And sure, you change your behaviors based on circumstances. If there were a serial killer entering homes and murdering people in my neighborhood, I'd probably start locking my doors at a minimum.

You know what, I'd probably decrease my risk of dying or sustaining injury more by wearing a helmet while driving than by locking my doors. I guarantee if you did a statistical analysis, it would show that. Are you going to start wearing a helmet while driving? I'm not, and I'm not going to start locking my doors either.

Going off topic a little bit, I blame the media for a degree of paranoia in this country. Despite media sensationalism, we're living in just about the safest time and place in human history.
While people are home. I agree about media playing a part in paranoia though.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,229,680 times
Quote:
Not really. Why would you lie in wait if you could easily leave? Why take the risk?

because they are in between me and the door?
also have to wake up 2 daughters in order to get out as well.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,065,161 times
Quote:
Yep. If I were home alone and near an exit I might choose to leave the house over shooting someone but not because it's easier. There's always a chance a home intruder has a buddy coming in the back door or that an intruder isn't alone making it a much more difficult time of using a self defense handgun on more than 1 person. If I'm close to my shotgun I'm handling my business but I don't carry a shotgun around the house all the time... only on Sundays.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,127,485 times
Quote:
I've said IF POSSIBLE in every post. If the invasion occurs when you're in an inescapable room, then of course you have to go to plan B (although most rooms I've seen have windows in them). And lets say you could get to your kids (which should absolutely be your first priority), would you then say "Hey girls, let's go out this window and run to a neighbors" or would you say "Hey girls, let's lie here in wait and kill this guy"?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
Quote:
I've never understood that. When someone is calling at your door, why wouldn't you answer?

I use to deliver UPS as seasonal job (college days). I was always amazed at how many times I tried to deliver a package that needed a signature (wine often), and somebody was clearly home, but wouldn't come to the door. More times then not they'd then call and complain that we didn't leave the package
If I am expecting someone/something (like a package requiring a sig - which you can track, btw), then I answer the door.
Otherwise, why bother? It's never anything good. More often than not, it's a package that can be left with no signature (and I can get that on my own time - not interrupt what I'm doing to run to the door for it - the guy leaves it there and runs off anyway). The other times it is almost always some solicitor violating the law by even being there ringing my doorbell. Then I get to have an unpleasant conversation about how I am going to call the police on their asses.

It's never anything good or worthwhile wasting my time going to answer...if it's going to be, I will already know about it ahead of time.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
Quote:
I've said IF POSSIBLE in every post. If the invasion occurs when you're in an inescapable room, then of course you have to go to plan B (although most rooms I've seen have windows in them). And lets say you could get to your kids (which should absolutely be your first priority), would you then say "Hey girls, let's go out this window and run to a neighbors" or would you say "Hey girls, let's lie here in wait and kill this guy"?
My kid's room is all the way across the house from mine.
Gathering him will take a bit of doing. Wouldn't want any obstacles in the way.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,611,096 times
Quote:
Well, my quick answer to you is that I'd pull my handgun and NOT shoot the intruder.

You've described a situation where I've come across an intruder with a crowbar and I'm holding a gun. At this point, one of two things is most likely to occur: 1) He flees the house. In that case, I'd let him flee, and then I'd call the cops. 2) He freezes, and maybe even says something like "please don't shoot." In that case, I'd keep the gun on him and tell him to get down on the floor. Perhaps he'd ignore that and instead flee - which I'd let him do. Perhaps he'd follow my instructions and get down on the floor. If he did that, I'd yell to my spouse to call the police, and I'd wait for them to arrive.

There of course exists the very small chance that the intruder would attempt to do violence to me. If he tried to attack me I'd shoot him. If that shot didn't stop the attempted attack, I'd shoot him again.

Now let's reset your situation. Let's consider something similar to the the Georgia incident about a women shooting an intruder that I'm sure spawned this thread. Say I'm at home and I hear knocking at my door, but for some reason I choose not to answer the door (note, I'd never do that - I always answer my door when someone is there). A few moments later someone breaks in, and I can hear from where I am that that person is rummaging through my stuff.

Now, what this women did was hide silently in a closet while the guy went through her house stealing stuff, and when he opened the closet door she was in looking for more stuff to steal, she unloaded on him. I don't begrudge her what she did, but it's not what I would have done.

I too would have gone to the nearest place where I could close a door behind me. I'd lock the door if possible. I'd then yell loudly "I've called the cops and they're on the way. I have a gun, and if I see you I'll kill you" (I'd yell this even if I hadn't called the cops and even if I didn't have a gun). At this point, the intruder would leave. If for some really, really weird reason the intruder decided to hunt though the house and try and find me, I'd shoot through the door the second it started giggling.
You surely know how to play with your keyboard.

Seriously, you have no idea on this subject at all not on the law not on the dynamics of an home invasion.

Please take some time to learn. Read a book called "Strong on defense". It is not about guns but about self defense and it might just be the book that will save your life.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,229,680 times
Quote:

I do not live in a traditional home. I live in a green friendly geodesic domehome with 6 feet of earth on the roof and 18 feet of earth on 2 sides and the back. limited ways in or out, the main way out is through the front door, which is down the hallway from the bedroom area.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,135,624 times
Quote:
Well, my quick answer to you is that I'd pull my handgun and NOT shoot the intruder.

You've described a situation where I've come across an intruder with a crowbar and I'm holding a gun. At this point, one of two things is most likely to occur: 1) He flees the house. In that case, I'd let him flee, and then I'd call the cops. 2) He freezes, and maybe even says something like "please don't shoot." In that case, I'd keep the gun on him and tell him to get down on the floor. Perhaps he'd ignore that and instead flee - which I'd let him do. Perhaps he'd follow my instructions and get down on the floor. If he did that, I'd yell to my spouse to call the police, and I'd wait for them to arrive.

There of course exists the very small chance that the intruder would attempt to do violence to me. If he tried to attack me I'd shoot him. If that shot didn't stop the attempted attack, I'd shoot him again.

Now let's reset your situation. Let's consider something similar to the the Georgia incident about a women shooting an intruder that I'm sure spawned this thread. Say I'm at home and I hear knocking at my door, but for some reason I choose not to answer the door (note, I'd never do that - I always answer my door when someone is there). A few moments later someone breaks in, and I can hear from where I am that that person is rummaging through my stuff.

Now, what this women did was hide silently in a closet while the guy went through her house stealing stuff, and when he opened the closet door she was in looking for more stuff to steal, she unloaded on him. I don't begrudge her what she did, but it's not what I would have done.

I too would have gone to the nearest place where I could close a door behind me. I'd lock the door if possible. I'd then yell loudly "I've called the cops and they're on the way. I have a gun, and if I see you I'll kill you" (I'd yell this even if I hadn't called the cops and even if I didn't have a gun). At this point, the intruder would leave. If for some really, really weird reason the intruder decided to hunt though the house and try and find me, I'd shoot through the door the second it started giggling.
Multiple military and police drills have shown that the average attacker that is 21 feet away can get to you in 1.5 seconds.

1.5 seconds. A couple of breathes.

Since none of us are hardened killers you have to factor in surprise time and hesitation time.

You may have .3 to .5 seconds to get a shot off...

Anyone in my condo is within that range. They are therefore a threat and will be shot.

Without mercy, without fail.

Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies