Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
A national database and tracing gun sales would address the problems stemming from Congress having passed a series of laws in recent years that allow easy access to guns and restrict law enforcement’s ability to go after traffickers.

One is keeping crime gun trace information secret: "Until 2002, the ATF released aggregate crime gun trace reports to local police departments. But, bowing to pressure from the gun lobby, Congress voted to restrict police access to crime gun trace data and cut off public access altogether. These restrictions, known as the Tiahrt Amendments (named for the Kansas Congressman who sponsored the bill), have passed in every Department of Justice budget since 2003, despite the fact that prominent law enforcement associations oppose them as a serious threat to public safety."

Second, there is an absence of records:" It is impossible for law enforcement to know the whereabouts of millions of firearms in circulation today because Federal law explicitly bars the ATF from establishing a database of retail firearms sales, and private gun sellers are not required to keep a paper trail of transactions. Prior to 2001, federal authorities maintained criminal background check records for up to six months. Under President Bush, Attorney General John ******** reversed this policy and ordered the destruction of all criminal background check records within 24 hours. Even though the General Accounting Office found that destroying these records endangers public safety, the policy remains in effect."

Fact Sheet: Illegal gun trafficking arms criminals & youth « Gun Victims Action Council
And how does this make anyone safe.

The government did not receive identifying information from my guns. The store has them. 2 of those gun stores burned down... In essence, that information is gone forever. Hahaha

Plus the private sale provision isn't going to be touched.

Plus there are MILLIONS of privately sold weapons in circulation.

You are trying to close the barn door after the horses go out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That's odd, is the 2nd amendment the only one you consider to be "outdated"?
Yet the same people are screaming about the 14th and birthright citizenship. Ahh the burger king mentality .

Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
I care about your rights. But I can also see an outdated document that all you gun nuts are hiding behind. We will get it changed. Maybe not in my lifetime. But guns will continue to speak loudly for the insanity in America.
You'll get what changed? Gun grabbers like yourself speak a lot louder for the insanity in America than any gun possibly could.

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
That's the exact response I expected. Not one mention about those kids. Not one!!! All you care about is your damn guns!

so going by your post here, I would expect you to also be in favor of having more legally owned firearms being brought into schools by gun owners, right?

it has already been proven that gun free zones do not work as there have been school shootings and a gun free school just means there are lots of places murderers can go to commit murder unhindered.

490 posts, read 650,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That's odd, is the 2nd amendment the only one you consider to be "outdated"?
If your child had been killed that way you would think so too. What's more important, your child life or your right to own a freaking gun?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
If your child had been killed that way you would think so too. What's more important, your child life or your right to own a freaking gun?
My child isn't dead.

Fail...

50 million gun owners.

You don't have the juice to push through any legislation...

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
I care about your rights. But I can also see an outdated document that all you gun nuts are hiding behind. We will get it changed. Maybe not in my lifetime. But guns will continue to speak loudly for the insanity in America.
You live in Dallas, Texas. If it's anything like Houston, Texas most of your neighbors probably have guns. Why not go door to door and recite this same thing to them?

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
And how does this make anyone safe.

The government did not receive identifying information from my gun.

Plus the private sale provision isn't going to be touched.

Plus there are MILLIONS of privately sold weapons in circulation.

You are trying to close the barn door after the horses go out...
Although none of us know yet, I think that this would mean the private sale loophole will be closed. To me that is what "track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database" would entail.
Why shouldn't it? If you have nothing to hide, and it helps with public safety with fewer guns getting into the hands of criminals, why would you object to it?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Although none of us know yet, I think that this would mean the private sale loophole will be closed. To me that is what "track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database" would entail.
Why shouldn't it? If you have nothing to hide, and it helps with public safety with fewer guns getting into the hands of criminals, why would you object to it?
If you have nothing to hide why utilize your right to remain silent?

Oh wait...

:banghead:

Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
My right to own a gun is my number one method for protecting my children, my family and my home from insane people who think like you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies