Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Another lie ... in the tabloid-style heading from the OP.

This is what I see in the 2011 Annual Report for the organization:

Of the almost 11 million persons benefitting from services after visiting Planned Parenthood affiliates in 2011, 3% received an abortion. Not 91%.

4.5 million received STD testing and treatment.
3.5 million received contraceptives.
1.3 million received cancer screening and preventive services.
1.2 million received pregnancy testing and/or pre-natal services.
334,000 received abortions or abortion services.
55,329 received family practice medical services.
2,300 received abortion referral services.
47,00 received treatment for urinary tract infections.
132,000 men and women received other medical services.

So, my advice is to 'look before you leap' to extremist/hatred generated assumptions and if you're going to oppose someone or an organization check your facts ... first.

I'm not a supporter of abortion, except in rare instances. But rather than condemn PP entirely, the organization should be congratulated for the good work it does ... overall.
You're not very good with statistics. Might I recommend the local community college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's because PP performs 28,000 abortions per month. They should be remembered as the "abortion clinic" because that's what they are.
How many pap smears, birth control prescriptions, and examinations do they do a month? PP should be remembered for what it is, a "women's health clinic." I am guessing you don't have an understanding of what PP really is beyond the hyperbole that you read from Conservative sites and news sources.

It wouldn't kill you to educate yourself on the topic.

I will definitely call this thread a thread fail if it hasn't been called that already.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How many pap smears, birth control prescriptions, and examinations do they do a month? PP should be remembered for what it is, a "women's health clinic." I am guessing you don't have an understanding of what PP really is beyond the hyperbole that you read from Conservative sites and news sources.

It wouldn't kill you to educate yourself on the topic.

I will definitely call this thread a thread fail if it hasn't been called that already.
The "good" stuff is over-ridden by the "bad stuff" that PP does. It's disgusting that a PP supporter can find it within themselves to celebrate an STD test over decrying the termination of a life. You seem to fall in this category.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
gee how obtuse do you wanna be? it DOES NOT include all the services PP does, so it DOES NOT tell the whole story, now does it? or would you rather ignore all the facts and just look at the ones that suit your agenda?
Facts from PP are still facts

Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How many pap smears, birth control prescriptions, and examinations do they do a month? PP should be remembered for what it is, a "women's health clinic."
From what I see in the most recently available annual report, for 2011: PP affiliates nationwide treated 889,000 patients monthly for reasons other than abortion counseling/procedures.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Quote:
The "good" stuff is over-ridden by the "bad stuff" that PP does. It's disgusting that a PP supporter can find it within themselves to celebrate an STD test over decrying the termination of a life. You seem to fall in this category.
What about all of the abortions that are prevented by PP providing easy and affordable access to contraception. Don't tell me you are against contraception too.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
What about all of the abortions that are prevented by PP providing easy and affordable access to contraception. Don't tell me you are against contraception too.
I'm not against contraception. I'm merely pointing out that PP supporters love to trumpet the "good" PP does while doing everything in their power to ignore the "bad" that PP does under the guise of "choice." It's disgusting.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,790 times
I dont care what percentage of this and that PP does. They use tax payer dollars to commit murder and that I find offensive. They need to get out of the abortion business with my tax dollars. I have no problem with the other services they provide

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
Quote:
I'm not against contraception. I'm merely pointing out that PP supporters love to trumpet the "good" PP does while doing everything in their power to ignore the "bad" that PP does under the guise of "choice." It's disgusting.
I'm pro-choice. I'm not pro-abortion. I would not choose abortion for myself but I am aware enough to recognize that I am not everyone and there are difficult circumstances in people's lives that I may not be able to fully understand that lead them to making the difficult choice of terminating a pregnancy. Planned Parenthood is there to assist this group of women. I can respect that. Planned Parenthood does provide a lot of important services that go beyond abortion. Most of their services do not involve abortion. I don't understand why people ignore the good they do.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Facts from PP are still facts
and refusing to see the all the facts to advance your own agenda is still completely transparent keep them blinders on dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies