Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone saw the 60 Minute interview with Capt. Sullenberger and what your thoughts/opinions on him were?

I ask because of the "newsmakers" this last few days, Sullenberger was a breathe of fresh air.
I was impressed with his obvious intelligence, humility, composure, thoughtfulness, humor, brevity...and no apparent "agenda".

Any thoughts???

Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Just wondering if anyone saw the 60 Minute interview with Capt. Sullenberger and what your thoughts/opinions on him were?

I ask because of the "newsmakers" this last few days, Sullenberger was a breathe of fresh air.
I was impressed with his obvious intelligence, humility, composure, thoughtfulness, humor, brevity...and no apparent "agenda".

Any thoughts???
I did not see "Sully" that day but have seen him interviewed many times and think that your description is very astute about one of our real American heroes who did what he did like a hero.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:10 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
I did see it and was also impressed. He is the stuff of which real heros are made. Someone who quietly goes through life, doing his job, doing it to the very best of his ability, and in the moment of crisis is ready, willing, and able to do what is needed. Wish we had a lot more like him.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Indeed! What everyone else has said so far. He is a true professional. He is as good as they come.

- Reel

Old 07-07-2009, 12:45 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
I agree he is a true hero. I remember back when he didn't even want to be interviewed or whatever and thought he was just doing his humble duty.

I was irate to hear people were sick of hearing his story covered by the media and that his 10 min of fame were over. Its not like he asked for the fame and he just wanted to go about his daily life. A true hero.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I agree he is a true hero. I remember back when he didn't even want to be interviewed or whatever and thought he was just doing his humble duty.

I was irate to hear people were sick of hearing his story covered by the media and that his 10 min of fame were over. Its not like he asked for the fame and he just wanted to go about his daily life. A true hero.
People were sick of hearing about him??? That is sad , isn't it.
After all the garbage on Jackson and Palin...you would think people would find Sullenberger so refreshing...hopefully a much better respresentative of Americans than either of those other two.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
If everyone did their jobs like this man did,there would be no reason for ANY complaints....he is a calm,cool and tough old bird imo

If even 2% of the gov't employees had his dedication,we'd be in much better shape too.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
If everyone did their jobs like this man did,there would be no reason for ANY complaints....he is a calm,cool and tough old bird imo

If even 2% of the gov't employees had his dedication,we'd be in much better shape too.
And isn't it a shame that he seems very unlikely to run for office...

Old 07-07-2009, 01:33 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And isn't it a shame that he seems very unlikely to run for office...
I'm not being mean here,but guys like him who have good sense are to smart to fool with the frustration of politics.

It seems that the less qualified to lead that someone is,the more that person WANTS to lead and those with good sense seem to just go ahead a let them do it so THEY don't have to fool with it themselves.It's been that way forever,but in the last 10 years or so it has REALLY been backfiring on us(remember G.W.)....look at the poor voters in Alaska right now and the crap they have had to put up with from an unqualified politician...the Capt. appears to have his crap in one pile and appears to intelligent to deal with those type people I'd say..

Old 07-07-2009, 01:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I'm not being mean here,but guys like him who have good sense are to smart to fool with the frustration of politics.

It seems that the less qualified to lead that someone is,the more that person WANTS to lead and those with good sense seem to just go ahead a let them do it so THEY don't have to fool with it themselves.It's been that way forever,but in the last 10 years or so it has REALLY been backfiring on us(remember G.W.)....look at the poor voters in Alaska right now and the crap they have had to put up with from an unqualified politician...the Capt. appears to have his crap in one pile and appears to intelligent to deal with those type people I'd say..
Funny you should say that...my neighbor, and ex-air force and commercial pilot who is close personal friends with Sully and has flown with him many times, says he is exactly as you say: "his crap in one pile etc..."

My neighbor said that he is one of the most genuine and mellow people out there, and that he was not at all surprised that Sullenberger was in the cockpit on that fateful day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies