Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM

165 posts, read 433,021 times

Advertisements

Are you aware of which companies are non-unionized, seek them out, and try to do business exclusively with them?

I know I do my best to patronize only non-unionized companies like Costco, Fresh & Easy, and Walmart. I will never buy an auto where UAW works there. I prefer only to buy American made non-unionized cars like Toyota built in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
I don't go out of my way to avoid union businesses, to me that's a lot like a boycott and I don't believe in boycotts.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
I really prefer to be able to lambast boycotters.

hard to do that when you are one.

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State Citizen View Post
Are you aware of which companies are non-unionized, seek them out, and try to do business exclusively with them?

I know I do my best to patronize only non-unionized companies like Costco, Fresh & Easy, and Walmart. I will never buy an auto where UAW works there. I prefer only to buy American made non-unionized cars like Toyota built in the South.
Why is that? If the product is the same price, why would you prefer to buy products made by workers who have no bargaining power?

I would rather buy union-made products where I can be assured that the workers and management, have mutually agreed on wages and benefits. Intentionally buying goods from companies where the workers have lower rights makes no sense to me.

Have a little respect for unions. They are why most Americans work 5 days a week and have weekends off.

Moreover, WalMart pays its employees so low that a large percentage are eligible for Food Stamps and Medicaid. Why do you feel a need to support the billionaire owners over workers?

Last edited by MTAtech; 01-09-2013 at 12:26 PM..

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Nope, I go to union and non-union businesses. I however don't like to stay at hotels that outsource their employees.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:

Toyota doesn't have union in Japan? (the source of many parts your "choice" likely uses). Your best bet might have been to deal with companies during the reign of the Fascists in Italy and Nazis in Germany, when workers unions were gone, and their leaders were sent to concentration camps as political prisoners.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:

I know I do my best to patronize only non-unionized companies like Costco, Fresh & Easy, and Walmart.
18% of Costco's workforce is unionized. And the union contracts serve as a template for wage and benefit policies company-wide.

http://www.d.umn.edu/~epeters5/Cst12...0Challenge.htm

But don't worry, there's still Sam's Club, if it's really that important for you to patronize a warehouse chain that refuses to treat its employees decently.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Default Solidarity!

I try and find American products made in Union shops. SOLIDARITY!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:

I think you spend too much time agonizing over unions.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Why is that? If the product is the same price, why would you prefer to buy products made by workers who have no bargaining power?

I would rather buy union-made products where I can be assured that the workers and management, have mutually agreed on wages and benefits. Intentionally buying goods from companies where the workers have lower rights makes no sense to me.

Have a little respect for unions. They are why most Americans work 5 days a week and have weekends off.

Moreover, WalMart pays its employees so low that a large percentage are eligible for Food Stamps and Medicaid. Why do you feel a need to support the billionaire owners over workers?
Just because unions served a good purpose in the past does not mean they serve any useful purpose today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies