Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
What does the AR in the AR-15 stand for? Assault Rifle, yes?

So would that not lend credence to the claim that the AR-15 is indeed an Assault Weapon?

I'm not a gun expert and I never particularly cared for the guns I had to use while in the military. I know both how to operate and handle a 9MM and a M-16, but I don't really like them.

This whole gun debate is boring anyway. Everyone just give it a rest please.
Armalite model 15...

AR-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Thanks. I was confused and I am not motivated enough to look that up and find out for myself.

I can see the confusion and why it comes into play.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This is a "hunting rifle":

This is an "assault weapon":

Oh, wait, that doesn't look scary enough. THIS is an "assault weapon":

Both are semi-automatic, and both have detachable magazines - the two main points of contention of those who would like to see the "assault weapon" banned. Both also have a gas operated action.

So what's the difference between the two rifles?

One is very accurate, even at very long distances. The other? Not so much.

One fires a very powerful round ("bullet"), designed to accurately hit its target from those long distances, while retaining penetrating power. The other fires a much smaller round, with a lot less gunpowder propelling it, and has a much shorter effective range.

Other than that, the differences are cosmetic. One "looks" more dangerous than the other.

Oh, there is one more thing... The one that people want banned is the "less lethal" of the two. If I had to be shot for some hypothetical reason, and I could choose between the two, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd pick the AR-15 over the 30-06, any day of the week. Which reminds me...

There was someone debating in one of these threads last week, saying (paraphrasing here) that he'd rather be shot by a .45 than an AR-15 in a close quarters situation. And he's a typical representative of the type that wants to decide what we can and can't own. Scary. Can you blame people for being so vocally opposed to guys like that crying for bans on things they so clearly don't understand?
Only one small nit to pick. In all likelihood the AR is more accurate than the Woodsman. AR platform rifles, especially with longer "target" or "varmint" barrels usually will shoot well under 1 MOA. The Remington 750...not so much. Perhaps that was your point, I'm not sure. The AR is probably the most common competition rifle on target ranges these days.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
AR-15 is far from the first choice of a hunting rifle.
Exactly...Shoot a deer anywhere but in the head with a .223 and there would be very little usable meat left...The muzzle velocity is so high that the bullet fragments on entry and goes off on several different directions ruining most of the animal.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:42 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
The left constantly twisting the truth to suit their agenda...

Merriam-Webster Dictonary defines “assault rifle†as “any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use.†The keywords here are “designed for military use.â€

If that definition doesn’t quite cut it for you, here’s how David Kopel (via the Washington Examiner) describes it in an article in the “Journal of Contemporary Law†based on a definition from the Department of Defense (emphasis added):

As the United States Defense Department’s Defense Intelligence Agency book Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide explains, “assault rifles†are “short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges.â€[21] In other words, assault rifles are battlefield rifles which can fire automatically.[22]
Weapons capable of fully automatic fire, including assault rifles, have been regulated heavily in the United States since the National Firearms Act of 1934.[23] Taking possession of such weapons requires paying a $200 federal transfer tax and submitting to an FBI background check, including ten-print fingerprints.[24]
Many civilians have purchased semiautomatic-only rifles that look like military assault rifles. These civilian rifles are, unlike actual assault rifles, incapable of automatic fire.
Based on these two definitions, since AR-15 is designed for civilian use, it therefore doesn’t fit with the definition of an “assault†weapon. This then begs the question why the association is being made in the first place.

“It was the Left who needed a term to call them... “They are trying to make you think …’an AR-15, nobody needs that.’ An AR-15 is just a rifle, unless it has a fully automatic switch on it and then it becomes a machine gun — and you can’t buy that.â€

they truly dont care. they just want it banned bcause it looks evil to them.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Assault weapon: Any gun that is legal today which liberals would like to make illegal as soon as possible.
From the Liberal Lexicon also known as How To Deceive and Spin Anything.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:03 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:

So would that not lend credence to the claim that the AR-15 is indeed an Assault Weapon?

I'm not a gun expert and I never particularly cared for the guns I had to use while in the military. I know both how to operate and handle a 9MM and a M-16, but I don't really like them.

AR stands for Armalite, the design manufacturer of the weapon. The make several other weapons with the AR designation, to include bolt action rifles and shotguns.

No that does not lend credence to the claim it is an assault rifle.

It DOES lend credence to the claim that many people don't know what they are kvetching about.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:

Nope, ArmaLite first made it and named it after themselves.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:41 AM

374 posts, read 236,228 times
All this talk about ARs and AKs as of late. I own several of both and have for many years as well as many others.

In 1988 I saw this movie....

This cat who's name was "Karl" had this weapon that I had never seen before. I fell in love with it almost as soon as I saw it....along with many others used in this film.

1988...right?

Not long after AWB '89 hit and my plans to get one were pretty much screwed. I didn't have that kind of money back then....I do now. I laugh at what I could have gotten one for in '88 - '94 LOL Oh wells, stupid me.

So this AUG is what I always wanted.

That dream didn't come true until the summer of '08.

This U.S. company called Microtech Knives/ MSAR started making them again here in the States. It got around the AWB '89 importation ban because it was made here....Not Austria like the Steyr version. AWB '94 -'04 had sunsetted as well. It was all mine for $1,600 +tax.

I've been a happy boy ever since.

1988 - 2008...........20 years man.....20 years for a dream gun to come true for a collector and avid shooter. I have a thing with movie guns as well. Always have.

Sweet!

Die hard shooting scene - YouTube

Semi-auto only of course....though they make post May 19th 1986 Class III versions for Police and Military.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You can call it whatever you want the AR-15 was originally designed for the military, it does not belong in the hands of civilians. The characteristics are very similar to the M16 minus the automatic mode, military guns do not belong in the hands of civilians.

The 1994 legislation was titled the assault weapons ban as a general term, enough with the definitions they need to look at function, too many definitions of assault floating around.
"The characteristics are very similar to the M16 minus the automatic mode,

There in lies 1 of the many problems with ant gunners. It doesn't matter if it is a full auto or not. If it LOOKS like a full auto, it must be banned. Emotion and perception counts more then reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies