Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
This is the red herring gun nuts perpetually bring up. Check out the last few dozen mass killers: THey were NOT criminals beforehand, so in trying to slow them down or stop them, using the mindset that criminals can always buy guns is off topic. A red herring to distract.

The Newtown killer attempted to buy guns via legal means, as his mother had. Had she not had such weapons around a nutjob, his plan would have been DOA. These killers are most often loners, sociopaths, w/o the means/knowledge of how to interact with the people running the underground market for weapons.
Which are you wanting to address, criminals or potential mass killers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Which are you wanting to address, criminals or potential mass killers?
Mass killers.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
just so you know ovcatto, I shall not register 1 firearm at all.
Why not? Are you hiding something?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
This is the red herring gun nuts perpetually bring up. Check out the last few dozen mass killers: THey were NOT criminals beforehand, so in trying to slow them down or stop them, using the mindset that criminals can always buy guns is off topic. A red herring to distract.

The Newtown killer attempted to buy guns via legal means, as his mother had. Had she not had such weapons around a nutjob, his plan would have been DOA. These killers are most often loners, sociopaths, w/o the means/knowledge of how to interact with the people running the underground market for weapons.
Not to diminish the tragedy of the Newtown murders, but you do realize how minuscule the chances are of this sort of thing happening to you or someone you love, right? (And please don't come back at me with, "Yeah that's easy to say till it happens to YOU!" It's easy for me to say lightning is not likely to strike me either. It's easy for you to say it too -and it would be true.)

The vast majority of murders via handguns are perpetrated by CRIMINALS. People with past records.

It would be nice if we could keep guns out of their hands, but passing more laws certainly won't accomplish that goal. To use your point - laws didn't stop the Newtown shooter, did they? We don't know why he wasn't able to purchase a gun himself, but some law was in place that deterred him - for a day or two. Even he, a guy with no criminal record, found a way to get a gun. Criminals are much more savvy than he was.

I'll repeat - The vast majority of murders via handguns are perpetrated by CRIMINALS.

So that's no red herring - it's a reality we have to deal with when trying to come up with solutions. When you cry "Red herring!" and "Gun nut!" THAT distracts all of us from looking at the total picture. It's not conducive to coming up with effective solutions.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:16 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not to diminish the tragedy of the Newtown murders, but you do realize how minuscule the chances are of this sort of thing happening to you or someone you love, right? .
They are becoming regular occurrences, and sadly, I expect repeat occurrences, at far more tragic levels. In Newtown, he had enough ammo to kill the school, and being from Ct -lived there 37 years, 30 miles from Sandy Hook, I know something you would not have the ability to. The 6 minute response time w/o adding precious seconds planning outside a counter-attack was unusually terrific, and saved classrooms more of kids from dying. I wouldn't bank on such a response time regularly. I'm certain most towns in the area I live, as well as most nationally, would rarely approach that. A minute more was most likely, another classroom full of kids. 10 minutes instead of 6 was likely a three figure death toll.

As we post, there really are not any more effective safeguards against repeat offenses than was the case on 12/13. Having said that, why would we not seek to at least reduce the liklihood of success of mass murder?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Mass killers.
Okay, those are incredibly difficult to detect and incredible rare occurrences. They are so rare and follow no trend line that the F.B.I. considers them statistical anomalies. Ft. Hood had one and they DO test and retest for mental health plus background checks.

This is a tough area of mental health because so many of these killers kill themselves. Have you read up on these types at all? If not, I would recommend the report by the secret service on school shooters and any criminology book on the subject - it's quite revealing.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 AM

374 posts, read 236,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
What are you? Another Kyle Lamb wannabe?
Don't want to be gunned down by Secret Service for flipping Barry off....

So I let GW do it.....it has more merit anyway.

I know he does it at home when he watches that twit on TV........

Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,231,067 times
I really have no view point on this matter one way or another, but I do feel the need to bring this little tidbit up:

Flintlock pistols are completely protected by the 2nd Amendment. No need to register them or anything like that whatsoever.

For all you gun enthusiasts, just get yourself some ammo and get proficient with how to operate and work a flintlock pistol. That'll save some of the headache, I guess.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 AM

374 posts, read 236,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
I really have no view point on this matter one way or another, but I do feel the need to bring this little tidbit up:

Flintlock pistols are completely protected by the 2nd Amendment. No need to register them or anything like that whatsoever.

For all you gun enthusiasts, just get yourself some ammo and get proficient with how to operate and work a flintlock pistol. That'll save some of the headache, I guess.
You don't want that. Any and all muzzleloading weapons that are not of the "in-line" variety are EXEMPT from any laws. Anyone can buy and own one. No paperwork required.

Are you a felon?

Ahhh....No...No I'm not.

Ok...because you say so...

Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
They are becoming regular occurrences, and sadly, I expect repeat occurrences, at far more tragic levels. In Newtown, he had enough ammo to kill the school, and being from Ct -lived there 37 years, 30 miles from Sandy Hook, I know something you would not have the ability to. The 6 minute response time w/o adding precious seconds planning outside a counter-attack was unusually terrific, and saved classrooms more of kids from dying. I wouldn't bank on such a response time regularly. I'm certain most towns in the area I live, as well as most nationally, would rarely approach that. A minute more was most likely, another classroom full of kids. 10 minutes instead of 6 was likely a three figure death toll.

As we post, there really are not any more effective safeguards against repeat offenses than was the case on 12/13. Having said that, why would we not seek to at least reduce the liklihood of success of mass murder?
We should, but shootings aren't increasing.

No increase in mass shootings - James Alan Fox - Crime & Punishment blog - Boston.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies