Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Perhaps it is, but I'm not in these people's heads. The point was it's nothing new for political leaders to get this kind of childish criticism. Hate is hate... whether it's racist or regional (remember all the anti-Texas redneck hick BS with Bush?) is it really so different? Why is that acceptable while this isn't? Both should generate equivalent anger, but they don't. Do you know how offensive it was to me for main stream rock bands and others to portray Bush as Hitler, a white supremacist tyrant? I think that's racist and offensive as someone who had family in concentration camps.
Yet somehow, this is now only bad with Obama. In fact, just about any disagreement with him or portrayal of him is "racist."

The other problem is that you can go into ANY group and find a few racists (or reverse racists). The fact that the OP and others cherry-pick is disingenuous, and hypocritical to the extreme (OP hopes to elicit outrage and hate toward a certain group of people by doing this, does he not?) Now it is just another group portrayed as "primitive animals." I'm sure I could cherry-pick instances of reverse-racism by certain groups and organizations, get all offended and start threads to rant about them here hoping to elicit outrage toward that group... but what would be my motive? Think about it.
As tasteless as it is to portray Bush as Hitler, most Whites aren't going to be bearing the burden of the Hitler stereotype. As bad as Hitler, most Whites in America don't have to bear the burden of his stupidity. Only White supremacists.

With the "bone in nose" crap, that has to do with a stereotype that is often applied to all Black people.

Disagreeing with President Obama is one thing. Portraying him as a witch doctor is racist. If those persons disagreed with President Obama, they could have picked a better way to do so besides bringing in old stereotypes. Saying stuff like "there are a few racists in any group" is merely downplaying this particular situation.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM

44 posts, read 30,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know it's their intent. The problem is there are people who either downplay such actions or even try to justify them.
They do all that because they want the behavior to continue and be accepted. So they deny that it happens. Then deny that it means what it means. The same way any abuser does.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImproveDaily View Post
They do all that because they want the behavior to continue and be accepted. So they deny that it happens. Then deny that it means what it means. The same way any abuser does.
Kind of like a drug user.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:55 PM

420 posts, read 335,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
You have to be kidding this whole thread is going to be about jibberish and partisan hypocrisy. The ones offended by this were not offended when Bush was depicted as Hitler. The ones that were offended by the Hitler depiction cheer this depiction of Obama. See how both sides switch sides according to which party is doing it? You partisans are so alike when it comes to jibberish and hypocrisy. As Wilkie said " theres not a dimes difference between the 2 parties" this thread is living proof.
Amen to that.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
Amen to that.
So you too believe the "witch doctor" stereotype isn't offensive?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM

420 posts, read 335,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So you too believe the "witch doctor" stereotype isn't offensive?
I think it's highly offensive. I was agreeing with how extreme we have become, on both sides of the spectrum.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I think it's highly offensive. I was agreeing with how extreme we have become, on both sides of the spectrum.
Sorry about that. I couldn't tell what said person was saying until I read the whole thing, word for word.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
I do think race has ratched up the hatred the last 5 years,especially amongst rural Americans.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I do think race has ratched up the hatred the last 5 years,especially amongst rural Americans.
I might also be inclined to say this. Hatred that was once under the surface has come up the surface again.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM

518 posts, read 406,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Some people are stuck in the 1950's and can only be happy with oppression instead of freedom.
1950's? I think you're giving the tea party a bit too much credit. More like the 950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies