Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 PM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
1950's? I think you're giving the tea party a bit too much credit. More like the 950s.
Not that far back. I would say about the 1900s.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Both you and the Grio are wrong. Obama is portrayed as a Papuan highlander. So how can he be depicted as a "stereotypical African witch doctor?" You see a bone through the nose and assume he must be an African? Talk about stereotyping. You are guilty of the same thing you condemn others for.
You are wrong and Savoir Faire is right. This shirt is an expression of racism. It's plain as day...

Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I might also be inclined to say this. Hatred that was once under the surface has come up the surface again.
I am not surprised, todays' rural TPs are most likely the grandkids of members of Concerned Citizens Klan/Councils. Went from that to Wallace, David Duke, now the TP ..each was the least racially tolerent political group of their era.

and the stupid thing is they get madder as their influence wanes. Go back to 2010 and TPers were dreaming of a House 218 member TP wing. In 2012, they lost seats.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
You are wrong and Savoir Faire is right. This shirt is an expression of racism. It's plain as day...
It is racist, and alot of people are trying to downplay it or justify it. Deep down, I think some people are just trying to cover up for the fact that they approve of such stereotyping.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I am not surprised, todays' rural TPs are most likely the grandkids of members of Concerned Citizens Klan/Councils. Went from that to Wallace, David Duke, now the TP ..each was the least racially tolerent political group of their era.

and the stupid thing is they get madder as their influence wanes. Go back to 2010 and TPers were dreaming of a House 218 member TP wing. In 2012, they lost seats.
Which confirms that prejudice never died off, just went underground.

The Tea Party realized that their days are numbered. If the Tea Party gets desperate, who knows what might happen. If the Republican Party wises up and tells the Tea Party to take a hike, that would be good for the Republicans. However, what would the Tea Party do next?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Which confirms that prejudice never died off, just went underground.

The Tea Party realized that their days are numbered. If the Tea Party gets desperate, who knows what might happen. If the Republican Party wises up and tells the Tea Party to take a hike, that would be good for the Republicans. However, what would the Tea Party do next?

Between the 2013 tax act plus the Hurricane Sandy vote, the Establishment GOP joined with Democrats to stifle the Tea Party. I expect more to follow in years to come.

If they fail to do that, Pelosi will be house speaker again soon, and I'd expect 2 third parties..the GOP and the TP by itself. Both impotent.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Between the 2013 tax act plus the Hurricane Sandy vote, the Establishment GOP joined with Democrats to stifle the Tea Party. I expect more to follow in years to come.

If they fail to do that, Pelosi will be house speaker again soon, and I'd expect 2 third parties..the GOP and the TP by itself. Both impotent.
I have a question. What is an Establishment Republican? It will better help me understand all of this. I ask because tend to look at the GOP as being associated with the Tea Party.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I have a question. What is an Establishment Republican? It will better help me understand all of this. I ask because tend to look at the GOP as being associated with the Tea Party.
Establishment Republicans are more often than not, small government Repubs in all ways..including not backing regulation regarding social issues. They can work across the aisle..the old bi-partisanship I was spoiled on growing up. a good example of one, who was extremely effective on behalf of the whole nation was Worl War II hero Senator Bob Dole. Many of his bills had Democratic co-sponsors.

Lik Ronald Reagan, he understood that just because he only fully agreed with anyone 80% of the time, they were NOT his enemy the other 20%.

The TP is a new fad.just 5 years old. The GOP existed over 100 years, just fine..without them.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Establishment Republicans are more often than not, small government Repubs in all ways..including not backing regulation regarding social issues. They can work across the aisle..the old bi-partisanship I was spoiled on growing up. a good example of one, who was extremely effective on behalf of the whole nation was Worl War II hero Senator Bob Dole. Many of his bills had Democratic co-sponsors.

Lik Ronald Reagan, he understood that just because he only fully agreed with anyone 80% of the time, they were NOT his enemy the other 20%.

The TP is a new fad.just 5 years old. The GOP existed over 100 years, just fine..without them.
What you're saying is that the more moderate Republicans(relatively moderate compared to many Republicans) teamed up with Democrats to try and keep the Tea Party limited. It is moderate Republicans that need to come to the helm. The Tea Party needs to just fade away. However, like you said, when they lost seats, they got mad. It makes me wonder how much more desperate the Tea Party will get if everyone in the Republican Party told them to take a hike, not just the Establishment Republicans.

To be honest, I tend to favor Bob Dole more than I do Ronald Reagan.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
What you're saying is that the more moderate Republicans(relatively moderate compared to many Republicans) teamed up with Democrats to try and keep the Tea Party limited. It is moderate Republicans that need to come to the helm. The Tea Party needs to just fade away. However, like you said, when they lost seats, they got mad. It makes me wonder how much more desperate the Tea Party will get if everyone in the Republican Party told them to take a hike, not just the Establishment Republicans.

To be honest, I tend to favor Bob Dole more than I do Ronald Reagan.

Step 1 is done. Telling Grover Nordquist to take a hike via voting for the 2013 bill was a huge step. If he wants a role, run for office, get elected. Until than, he was holding the GOP hostage. I want all reps to take just one oath, written or verbal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies