Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 PM

26,520 posts, read 15,092,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If you are to bring up Black on black violence, it would be more important to bring up gangs. Gang violence makes up a large part of this. Perhaps the violence that exists within the Black community is more a symptom of other problems.

What angers me is that people like to say "Blacks are a problem". Rather, I argue that the violence is symptomatic of other problems. Here is a question. Why do people join gangs? Why are there people selling drugs?
Awhile back the mayor of Baltimore got into some trouble for saying that Baltimore's murder rate isn't as dangerous as it sounds if you don't do drugs....I think it was around 90% of murder victims were known to be in drug gangs or have a criminal record of buying or selling drugs in Baltimore at the time...

If more drugs were legal would it slow down the murder rate??? Not that more people hopped up would be a good thing.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Awhile back the mayor of Baltimore got into some trouble for saying that Baltimore's murder rate isn't as dangerous as it sounds if you don't do drugs....I think it was around 90% of murder victims were known to be in drug gangs or have a criminal record of buying or selling drugs in Baltimore at the time...

If more drugs were legal would it slow down the murder rate??? Not that more people hopped up would be a good thing.
To a certain extent, that is true. If you aren't involved in gangs, if you aren't involved in drugs, your chances of getting murdered are much lower. However, if you are in a drug-infested neighborhood rife with gangs, you still have a high chance of getting robbed at gun point, being mistaken for a rival gang member(this has happened in Chicago before) or getting accidentally shot because some gangster was a lousy shooter.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 PM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
Factually, it would cut violent crime down.

That is statistically correct; however, no one will voice such concerns, as it is politically incorrect.

We have a cultural problem, and not a weapons problem. This is borne true by the statistical data around the world showing no correlation between gun ownership rates and firearm related homicides.

Crime rates have gone down in the US since 1992, as it was twenty years since Roe vs Wade at that date. The future criminals of America, which are predominantly of non-white and lower socio-economic classes, are aborted at higher rates than among affluent whites. Thus abortion has been a partial answer to crime rates; this contention, of course, has enraged both conservatives and liberals, but has been found to be statistically correct.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:28 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
Ann is right. It is a huge problem that 'We The People' must resolve. What Ann said was a bold statement on a mainstream news network. The truth needs to come out and this 'political correctness' needs to end when it comes to talking about race and crime. The 'racist' indoctrination in America needs to end now.

Coulter: ‘Not a gun problem,’ U.S. has ‘demographic problem’ with non-whites | The Raw Story
Poor Ann keeps falling off the radar and has to make these kinds of comments to be noticed again.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is statistically correct; however, no one will voice such concerns, as it is politically incorrect.

We have a cultural problem, and not a weapons problem. This is borne true by the statistical data around the world showing no correlation between gun ownership rates and firearm related homicides.
We have a culture problem, perhaps. But what angers me is that there is someone suggesting that Blacks shouldn't have the right to bear arms. I have even ask a few questions about this, to no avail.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 PM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
We have a culture problem, perhaps. But what angers me is that there is someone suggesting that Blacks shouldn't have the right to bear arms. I have even ask a few questions about this, to no avail.

Of course blacks should have the right to bear arms! They are citizens like everyone else and there should be no infringement on thier rights. We, for now, live in a free society. To single out any race or demographic for partial Constitutional rights is insane.

What should happen? Measures among parents and citizens to change the culture-

more emphasis on education
two parent families
less violent media
religious indoctrination of morality to develop respect for life
improving economic situations among the poor

Before the trigger is pulled, there has been a mental process that makes the decision to place one in a position of danger and the will and lack of morality to actually pull the trigger. Murder is a mental process and a gun is simply a mechanical extension or tool for a diseased mind to implement a crime.

Want lower crime? Change the culture. Abortion, which has reduced crime considerably, is readily available and has been used most likely to its full effect in this situation.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Of course blacks should have the right to bear arms! They are citizens like everyone else and there should be no infringement on thier rights. We, for now, live in a free society.

What should happen? Measures among parents and citizens to change the culture-

more emphasis on education
two parent families
less violent media
religious indoctrination of morality to develop respect for life
improving economic situations among the poor
I don't see Ann Coulter saying any of that in her rant. All I heard from her was "Blame the Blacks". It is as I suggested before in an earlier post. The violence in the Black community is symptomatic of many more problems that are not being addressed.

And we think along the same likes. Black Americans are citizens, just like everyone else and should live in a free society. My issue was with the person who suggested that Blacks should be disarmed.

And there is someone who I respect who would be on board with what you're saying.

Michael Nutter - Mayor of Philadelphia Church Speech Sunday August 7, 2011 - YouTube

Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 PM

361 posts, read 273,085 times
Quote:
If you are to bring up Black on black violence, it would be more important to bring up gangs. Gang violence makes up a large part of this. Perhaps the violence that exists within the Black community is more a symptom of other problems.

What angers me is that people like to say "Blacks are a problem". Rather, I argue that the violence is symptomatic of other problems. Here is a question. Why do people join gangs? Why are there people selling drugs?
Gang violence is virtually all of this. I don't think blacks are the problem but it is a problem but it is a problem that runs rampid in black America. If you are trying to insinuate poverty is the answer i disagree completely. Where i grew up (flushing queens) there are asians that are fresh off the boat and dirt poor. They wish they could live in the projects. They don't kill each other the way blacks do. Same thing with the Indians, pakastanis and afghanis in queens dirt poor virtually no violence. I've chilled in the hood my whole life. Nobody is starving and nobody i knew sold drugs literally because they had no food(im only speaking for nyc). Kids join gangs for numerous reasons theres to be cool, they have no family, or they got bullied by other gangs in the neighborhood. The 1st and 3rd are the most common ive seen, and ive had a lot of friends in gangs. Selling drugs to be cool, for EXTRA money, to get drugs cheaper. The reasons vary. How to handle that problem? I don' know but i don't think white people could, its something black people have to stop as a community.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,290 times
The issue is all blacks aren't gun carrying thugs so you once again have a issue of attacking us as a whole instead if individually.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 718native View Post
Gang violence is virtually all of this. I don't think blacks are the problem but it is a problem but it is a problem that runs rampid in black America. If you are trying to insinuate poverty is the answer i disagree completely. Where i grew up (flushing queens) there are asians that are fresh off the boat and dirt poor. They wish they could live in the projects. They don't kill each other the way blacks do. Same thing with the Indians, pakastanis and afghanis in queens dirt poor virtually no violence. I've chilled in the hood my whole life. Nobody is starving and nobody i knew sold drugs literally because they had no food(im only speaking for nyc). Kids join gangs for numerous reasons theres to be cool, they have no family, or they got bullied by other gangs in the neighborhood. The 1st and 3rd are the most common ive seen, and ive had a lot of friends in gangs. Selling drugs to be cool, for EXTRA money, to get drugs cheaper. The reasons vary. How to handle that problem? I don' know but i don't think white people could, its something black people have to stop as a community.
I never said poverty was the only reason.

And there are some Asian gangs. Ever hear of the Triads? Ever hear of the AZN Boys? The TRG? MOD? And the difference between immigrants coming here and Black Americans is this. Asians are coming here is IMMIGRANTS looking for something new. There is a certain mentality that comes with immigrating to a new nation that fosters being willing to work hard no matter what.

And some immigrants have formed gangs for protection. There were kids getting abused by their parents and those kids join gangs as well. Some have formed gangs for economic benefits. New York City is a major center for the Latin Kings, a major gang in New York.

And people were selling drugs to make money. And why is there a demand for drugs among some people. Why was there a mentality of "I need extra money to look cool"? There is a difference between being an impoverished immigrant coming to the USA and being poor in the USA vis-a-vis a culture that encourages materialism.

My point was that the violence was a symptom of other problems. I never said poverty was the entire reason. Poverty is a part of it. There are other things to consider as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.