Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 AM

589 posts, read 851,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah you same loons told me on a thread I started after the conn shootings asking if Obama would issue exec orders to go after guns that I was in my own delusional world etc. etc. etc. Well guess what hero...........YOU are the one who is delusional and based on your post you won't be allowed to purchase a firearm due to your mental issues. You can thank dear leader with a campaign donation. I know he isn't running anymore but doubt you do. You folks still think Bush was running last election.

332-206
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The passage of single payer replacing ACA in 2017 under the leadership of Speaker Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Reid, and President Clinton will be the turning point when the GOP formally separates fron the wing nuts. I dread single payer, but it is coming courtesy of the Tea Party. Courtesy of wing nuts like Todd Akin and Richard Murdoch positioning Reid with 55 seats after the GOP lost seats in the most favorable election setup it had seen since 1980.

By the time Clinton's first term has ended, we'll have the most progressive Supreme Court since Warren, and it will last for decades thereafter.

I fear the future the Tea Party has enabled. This is THEIR fault, as is 11/6/2012.

Yes, I agree that the teabaggers have to bear much of the 'blame.' (I like credit, better) But, there's plenty of blame to go around.

Boner and McConnell both stood idly by, and let the radical wing of the party take over.

Romney also played the game, by moving so far to the right, during the primary process.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Hey Nostradamus! So who's going to win the Super Bowl?

Obama, 332-206

Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You are delusional if you think people care what western europe or the canucks have to say. YOU go check out the world forums you seem to adore so much. If we're doing something the euroweenies or canucks don't like then we're doing something right. Living overseas seems to give you some attitude that you think you know more than anybody else for some reason.
Please tell me about your travels in Europe and Canada.

Quote:
I say stay overseas and be happy in your elitist views and spare us in the US your condescending BS.
Of course you do.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/27801569-post1.html

The first thing the GOP would need to do is appeal to mainstream America, without the lying and the flip flopping, that would be difficult for them since they have nobody. Willard was a puppet and said anything to appeal to certain prospective voters, he was an opportunist. Thankfully, people saw right though his demagoguery and re-elected the correct person. This will probably happen again in 2016 because the GOP doesn't have anyone.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
First off, I'm talking about the extreme right-wing fanatics that seem to have taken over the GOP, not moderate Republicans.

In my opinion, I think that this past election was a very telling one in the way that our great country is going. I think it showed that the majority (even though the country is very much split) simply do not favor the extremist views that have been coming from the GOP for the past few years because even though the economy is not completely recovered yet and we have debt/spending issues that need addressing, among the plethora of other problems, President Obama still won. I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that the right is now so extreme that people who might have been in the middle of the road still voted for the President, favoring him (although he might not be their favorite) over the likes of Mitt Romney.

Thus, I think that it's evident that GOP needs to enact some fundamental changes to many of its stances if it wants to remain viable in politics. They need to move away from these extremist views and leave the social issues at the door. I thought after this past election that the GOP would try to get rid of the teabaggers from their mainstram and try to move more central in order for them to put up a better fight in 2016. However, I think so far, I couldn't be more wrong. Most of the stuff that I see coming from the far-right is just as extreme and toxic as ever before (if not more)! Just look at some of the posts on this board! Don't they realize that if they keep this up they will continue to lose elections??? They're just isolating more and more people all the time it seems. I just don't get it, I think it's very obvious. This is especially true with the changing demographics of our country.

So what do you all think? Do you think the GOP will ever learn? Do you think they'll moderate in the future? And what do you think are their chances at being elected in upcoming election cycles?

BTW, some background info. Even though probably all the hardcore right-wingers on here would consider me a diehard liberal from that liberal "hellhole" of California, I actually think that my views are very moderate. Some of the basic things I believe in are: real universal health care for all (single-payer system), reasonable (read: a hell of a lot lower) college tuition costs, a comprehensive social- safety net, a progressive tax system, pro-choice, pro same-sex marriage, pro legalization of soft drugs. Now, I'm not saying we have to be Norway, but I think that we could learn many things from nations such as Canada and Australia, for example. By the way, I also believe in fiscal responsibility and living within our means, and I believe that cuts in spending do need to be made at the appropriate times in the appropriate places. But, like I said, I think these views are considered to be pretty moderate and reasonable in the rest of the developed world. And, also, I'd just like to say that I'm currently a university student who works and interns throughout the year, my parents both have masters degrees and are very sound financially, we've lived in numerous European countries and Japan, and have traveled around the world, etc. So, please, spare me one of the favorite far-right arguments that we "liberals" are stupid, welfare-addicted bums who don't work and just want to live off the government, etc. etc. That one really gets me every time.

Anyways, just felt the need to share that.

Please share your views and let us know what you think regarding my actual questions above. Have a nice night all.

*Runs to get popcorn and waits to be entertained*

EDIT: After reading the first few "responses" and literally LOL'ing I just have to say......And they really wonder why they drive people away and why their message isn't resonating with the majority of Americans????? Oh brother.......

Oh well, it'll be so much fun to hand them another defeat in 2016!

On should not compromise principles and abandon common sense to simply be a part of "the majority". I am sure that there were also unpopular dissenting opinions in Nazi Germany. History shows that the minority opinion there was correct.

Why would anyone embrace a flawed, fiscally irresponsible platform, simply to comply with the majority. Such an action would be almost as insane as, well..................... liberalism.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
On should not compromise principles and abandon common sense to simply be a part of "the majority". I am sure that there were also unpopular dissenting opinions in Nazi Germany. History shows that the minority opinion there was correct.

Why would anyone embrace a flawed, fiscally irresponsible platform, simply to comply with the majority. Such an action would be almost as insane as, well..................... liberalism.
Well, conservatism, because we all know, at least the informed among us know, that conservatives were anything but conservative from 2000 to 2007 with NO BALANCED BUDGETS, and no pushing for fiscal conservancy, just keep adding to debt with more wars and their pork projects, conservatives just spent, spent, spent.

Please, give us a break.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
First off, I'm talking about the extreme right-wing fanatics that seem to have taken over the GOP, not moderate Republicans.

In my opinion, I think that this past election was a very telling one in the way that our great country is going. I think it showed that the majority (even though the country is very much split) simply do not favor the extremist views that have been coming from the GOP for the past few years because even though the economy is not completely recovered yet and we have debt/spending issues that need addressing, among the plethora of other problems, President Obama still won. I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that the right is now so extreme that people who might have been in the middle of the road still voted for the President, favoring him (although he might not be their favorite) over the likes of Mitt Romney.

Thus, I think that it's evident that GOP needs to enact some fundamental changes to many of its stances if it wants to remain viable in politics. They need to move away from these extremist views and leave the social issues at the door. I thought after this past election that the GOP would try to get rid of the teabaggers from their mainstram and try to move more central in order for them to put up a better fight in 2016. However, I think so far, I couldn't be more wrong. Most of the stuff that I see coming from the far-right is just as extreme and toxic as ever before (if not more)! Just look at some of the posts on this board! Don't they realize that if they keep this up they will continue to lose elections??? They're just isolating more and more people all the time it seems. I just don't get it, I think it's very obvious. This is especially true with the changing demographics of our country.

So what do you all think? Do you think the GOP will ever learn? Do you think they'll moderate in the future? And what do you think are their chances at being elected in upcoming election cycles?

BTW, some background info. Even though probably all the hardcore right-wingers on here would consider me a diehard liberal from that liberal "hellhole" of California, I actually think that my views are very moderate. Some of the basic things I believe in are: real universal health care for all (single-payer system), reasonable (read: a hell of a lot lower) college tuition costs, a comprehensive social- safety net, a progressive tax system, pro-choice, pro same-sex marriage, pro legalization of soft drugs. Now, I'm not saying we have to be Norway, but I think that we could learn many things from nations such as Canada and Australia, for example. By the way, I also believe in fiscal responsibility and living within our means, and I believe that cuts in spending do need to be made at the appropriate times in the appropriate places. But, like I said, I think these views are considered to be pretty moderate and reasonable in the rest of the developed world. And, also, I'd just like to say that I'm currently a university student who works and interns throughout the year, my parents both have masters degrees and are very sound financially, we've lived in numerous European countries and Japan, and have traveled around the world, etc. So, please, spare me one of the favorite far-right arguments that we "liberals" are stupid, welfare-addicted bums who don't work and just want to live off the government, etc. etc. That one really gets me every time.

Anyways, just felt the need to share that.

Please share your views and let us know what you think regarding my actual questions above. Have a nice night all.

*Runs to get popcorn and waits to be entertained*

EDIT: After reading the first few "responses" and literally LOL'ing I just have to say......And they really wonder why they drive people away and why their message isn't resonating with the majority of Americans????? Oh brother.......

Oh well, it'll be so much fun to hand them another defeat in 2016!
First off extremists have not taken over the GOP. They still remain extremists so get your facts straight. Second what so-called extremist views do most of the GOP hold? Who gets to decide what an extremist view is.....the lefty liberals? The things you mentioned that the GOP needs to change are far left extremists views. Why should we embrace any extremists views including the ones on the left?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Maybe, eventually.

But, I don't think so for the next 12 years. We've got 4 more years of Obama, and then what looks to be 8 years of Hillary. (surely she will run, after taking a year off to re-charge) I think Bill and her are far too savvy to make any big foul-ups, that would prevent her winning, should she decide to run. Her candidacy will only widen the advantage that Dems currently hold with female (the majority) voters.

By 2024, the Dems will have firm control of the Supreme Court, which will ensure progressive thinking for generations to come. By the time the Repugnicans ever potentially recover, it will be too late.
You must be absolutely deluded to think this country will be able to carry on until 2024, lol....

We are heading for a societal collapse preceded by an explosion in our debt.... We have way to much debt and are absolutely unwilling to make any cuts all while promising more free benefits that makes liberals feel good.

There will be enough productive assets for the government to strip, but by 2016 we will see a collapse.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
No, the teabaggers and wingnuts will NEVER learn. They can't. This is particualrly true in the deep South, which I mention since Southerners have firm control of the testicles of all the cowardly Washington Repugnican 'leaders.'.

Look at history.

The Country had to go to war with the South in order to end slavery, even though by 1860 every other civilized first world country had long since abolished slavery.

We needed the Scopes trial in 1925 to even be able to teach Science, in the deep South.

It took until 1965, and dozens of Supreme Court ruling, to finally get rid of the Jim Crow laws. The National Guard was necessary to insure the rights of Southern Blacks to even attend the same Colleges and schools, as whites.

Even today, Southern States routinely Gerrymander voting districts, pass voter suppression laws, and often refuse to expand voting windows, as is common in the rest of the Coutry.

To this day, there is a high school in Jacksonville Florida named Nathan Bedford Forrest High. (Forrest was the founder, and initial Grand Dragon of the KKK) Today, this school is 55% black. Although there have been several attempts to get this schools name changed, all efforts have failed, with the standard argument given by the predominately white school board, "he is part of our heritage, and should be honored." Can anyone image a predominately Jewish, Adolph Hitler high school?

The point is that, at no time in its entire history has the conservative South EVER done the right thing on its own. In every case, they had to be forced into doing what any reasonable person with an IQ over 80, understood as common sense. They simply can't change. They're too ignorant, too bigoted, too scared, and too self serving.

And so it remains today. They're so sure of themselves, that they've actually managed to talk themselves into thinking that all of their radical beliefs are a matter of principle, and that only they can personally save America from the Kenyan Devil.

So, today you get them arguing the following................
1. All American born children of illegal immagrants, should to be kicked out of the Country.
2. Gays are the work of the Devil, and must be discriminated against, at every opportunity.
3. Give the rich everything they want. In turn, they PROMISE to trickle some crumbs down to the masses.
4. Every American should have the right to own automatic weapons, as the founding fathers intended.
5. Anyone that isn't a Protestant Evangelical, must be a Communist Atheist, and should be feared.
6. Anyone that has lost their health insurance due to job downsizing, pre existing conditions, or increased insurance premium costs, deserves whatever sickness they get, and should be allowed to die.
7. Any war, is a good war.
8. Any attempt of any kind to change America in any way, from the way it was in 1859, is a direct afront to their God given American way of life.
9. Pro life before any birth, and could not care less, after the baby is born.
10. Everything on Earth was put here by God, specifically to satisfy their own greed, gluttony, and blood lust.
11. All science is the work of the Devil, and is just another excuse to attack their American way of life.
12. Education is just another example of the liberals attempt to brainwash all Americans.

You are correct, that America has reached a tipping point, and the majority of Americans will no longer allow themselves to be manipulated by the right wing politics of fear and ignorance. The Republicans are just too extreme. Fortunately for us, the Republican party's reaction to the resounding Democratic victory in November is further proof that they just don't get it, and they probably never will. They don't have, and never will have a plan B. They remind me of people that simply speak louder when talking to someone that doesn't speak English. It's as if they think maybe we just haven't heard them the first time, so this time they'll yell a little louder. It never occurs to them, that THEY are the problem. Arrogant fools. But, in this case that's a good thing, as it only ensures continued Democratic party rule.
Your examples of right wing thinking by the majority is so full of lies, insults and exaggerations I don't even know where to begin. Typical of the so-called progressive left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies