Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
As passed by the Congress:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.]

It was Supreme court decisions in 2008 and 2010 that ruled the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. But that doesn't necessarily mean that that is what the Founders meant when they wrote it.

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, I'm sure "right of the people to keep and bear arms" was really a big typo, and they meant to say "right of the state."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 06:58 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah, I'm sure "right of the people to keep and bear arms" was really a big typo, and they meant to say "right of the state."
Well then why did they say

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

and not just "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive."

-Noah Webster
Note the operative word, "Kingdom." We don't live in a kingdom, we live in a democracy.

Quote:
The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals...[i]t establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.

-Albert Gallatin
But you declare that a minority with guns to have the right to depose an elected government. The constitution provides no such right.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
...But that doesn't necessarily mean that that is what the Founders meant when they wrote it.

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and it doesn't mean one has the right to possess bazookas, shoulder fired missiles or tanks. The SCOTUS has already ruled that Congress has a right to outlaw sawed off shotguns. Congress certainly has the right to limit military rifles.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
I see Obama as the first in a line of progressives who will whittle away at the 2nd ammendment until there is no longer a gun left in the country. Will it happen in the next 4 years? Probably not, but the day is coming if we allow it to. I will not surrender my firearms, but I don't think it will be up to me, it will depend on what my grandchildren do. If they, like me, refuse to yield to an over reaching federal government, then the 2nd ammendment will stand. If not, then it will eventually fade into history along with this nation.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:23 PM

9 in 10 back universal gun background checks - Political Eye - CBS News

Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm sure my rifles and pistols would stand up well to predator drones and F-22s equipped with GBU-39 smart bombs.
Military won't all be on the dictators side... Some military people are smarter than the average democrat...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
As passed by the Congress:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Nope, unless you're grammatically challenged...

I've bolded who is referenced as having the right... If the founders had not wanted those so bolded why doesn't it say the right of the Militia to keep and bear arms.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Military won't all be on the dictators side... Some military people are smarter than the average democrat...
So are most rocks...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I see Obama as the first in a line of progressives who will whittle away at the 2nd ammendment until there is no longer a gun left in the country. Will it happen in the next 4 years? Probably not, but the day is coming if we allow it to. I will not surrender my firearms, but I don't think it will be up to me, it will depend on what my grandchildren do. If they, like me, refuse to yield to an over reaching federal government, then the 2nd ammendment will stand. If not, then it will eventually fade into history along with this nation.
Did it also bother you when Reagan supported an assaults weapon ban as well or did you give him a pass because he was white?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies