Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 AM

326 posts, read 673,467 times

Advertisements

It always pains me to see how deeply divided such a great country as America is. Why can't you guys be working together instead of spending so much time and energy on slagging of the representatives, members and supporters of the "other party". I really don't get it. Who enjoys watching ad reading news media that is clearly biased (althouh in my opinion there is no major outlet which leans as far left as FOX news leans to the right)?

I know many Americans, conservatives and liberals, and most are fine people. Why can't you guys realize that it would be so much better to try and get along and work TOGETHER instead of against each other? Sure, argue passionatelly about the things you feel strongly about but don't lose sigh of the common goals.

I think a pragmatic, science based approach based on ethical values rather than one guided by traditional religious values for example would help. I think politics and religion don't mix. But that's me as an atheist and European speaking.

From some of the rhetoric here it seems there is lots of "hatred" mostly from the right towards the left and an equal amount of "disconnect" from the other side.

Guys, you live in a great country (no, I am not going to say "the gretaest country in the world") so stop the fighting ans start working together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
It always pains me to see how deeply divided such a great country as America is. Why can't you guys be working together instead of spending so much time and energy on slagging of the representatives, members and supporters of the "other party". I really don't get it. Who enjoys watching ad reading news media that is clearly biased (althouh in my opinion there is no major outlet which leans as far left as FOX news leans to the right)?

I know many Americans, conservatives and liberals, and most are fine people. Why can't you guys realize that it would be so much better to try and get along and work TOGETHER instead of against each other? Sure, argue passionatelly about the things you feel strongly about but don't lose sigh of the common goals.

I think a pragmatic, science based approach based on ethical values rather than one guided by traditional religious values for example would help. I think politics and religion don't mix. But that's me as an atheist and European speaking.

From some of the rhetoric here it seems there is lots of "hatred" mostly from the right towards the left and an equal amount of "disconnect" from the other side.

Guys, you live in a great country (no, I am not going to say "the gretaest country in the world") so stop the fighting ans start working together.
It is ingrained from our birth. Witness the Federalists vs. the Anti-federalists over our Constitution, the Democratic revolutions during President Jefferson's and President Jackson's terms, and our Civil War.

President Washington warned about political division, yet politics is naturally combative.

I think that it is a good thing - similar to "combative" sports like American football.

It provides a safe outlet for pent up aggression.

By the way - liberals want to attack their opposition - Republicans only want to unify and stengthen the republic.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:

Thank the Greatest divider of all time and his minions.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Thank the Greatest divider of all time and his minions.
In case you don't know - he means President Obama.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,059 times
Obama is fairly right wing though anyway, so can't see what all the fuss is about myself.

he's a kind of Country Club Democrat - just a different shade of grey to Romney surely?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
By the way - liberals want to attack their opposition - Republicans only want to unify and stengthen the republic.
You. Are. Adorable!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
In case you don't know - he means President Obama.
Thanks Harrier, we kinda already understood the not-so-thinly-veiled reference, but you explaining it in plain english that a 1st grader can understand really helps conservatives pick up on the subtlety of his post. The world really needs more partisan hacks to explain things to us. Keep up the good work.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Thanks Harrier, we kinda already understood the not-so-thinly-veiled reference, but you explaining it in plain english that a 1st grader can understand really helps conservatives pick up on the subtlety of his post. The world really needs more partisan hacks to explain things to us. Keep up the good work.
OP is from Germany - I wanted to be sure that he understood the reference.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
You. Are. Adorable!
I hope that you mean this in a non-sexual manner, OR are a female.

If either or both are true - then THANK YOU!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
You must have never watched MSNBC. That station is much, much further to the left than Fox News is to the right. Same thing with the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times. Far to the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies