Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times

Advertisements

For example, if there was to be a push for civil unions. It may not be the ideal thing or even equal thing, but would be a stepping stone to inevitable marriage and would be much easier to pass today. Please don't call me a bigot, homophobe, or mentally insane for asking this question. It is a genuine question and I am wondering the mentality behind both viewpoints. Is compromise a stepping stone to progress? Why or why not?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,631 times
A civil union is a marriage.

Big Business Persons and Big Government Persons do it all the time.

The "offspring" I don't know about, though.

To some, it would be a marriage made in hell.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
Not at all if those seeking compromise, have the same goals in mind, all too often those who want compromise, are not willing themselves to compromise, unless they get their way.

All too often those who want compromise, are not truly willing themselves to compromise, blaming the side that does want to compromise.

Making zillions of excuses.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,787 times
The problem with ''social conservative'' issues, is they're based on some subjective notion of ''morality'', so ''compromise'' is no more possible for those folks than it would be on, say, the issue of slavery. Although come to think of it, a lot of conservatives actually do see some ''middle ground'' even on that issue... except I think they like to call it ''States Rights''!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
The problem with ''social conservative'' issues, is they're based on some subjective notion of ''morality'', so ''compromise'' is no more possible for those folks than it would be on, say, the issue of slavery. Although come to think of it, a lot of conservatives actually do see some ''middle ground'' even on that issue... except I think they like to call it ''States Rights''!
Something wrong with states' rights? Other than liberal propaganda based on slavery and racism, what exactly is wrong with states' rights? Got any example of states rights being a bad idea that isn't half a century old?

Also, these "subjective notions" you're being so patronizing about have been proven by empirical research to be beneficial to society. After decades of derision from the left on family values and turning single mothers into unsung heroes, surprise surprise, broken families turns out to be the leading cause of poverty, suicide, drug abuse, delinquency, and high school dropout rates amongst children.

And no, I am not a social conservative. I support gay marriage. I just disagree with your attitude about the useless subjectivity of conservative morality to society. Family values developed over hundreds and thousands of years of evolution and social organization for a reason. Because society functioned well with them. I believe that individual freedom is a higher value and consequently it is worth accepting some societal decay in order to preserve freedom of choice for everyone. But I would vehemently disagree that society is organized based on nothing but subjective notions. The nuclear family developed all over the world as the fundamental unit of society because it preserved order, distributed labor and resources effectively, and produced productive offspring for new generations.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,787 times
Though I obviously have opinions, was not arguing whether ''social conservative'' issues ( e.g. abortion, gay marriage, contraception, religious 'rights', etc.), are right or wrong, only that they're largely based on religious matters of 'faith' (and are therefore personal & subjective) values. Yes, there may be other 'reasons', but the fact of the matter is that most of the opponents of say, gay marriage and abortion tend to be religious-based (like the millions of dollars that Mormons contributed towards supporting Prop 8 here in California).

And BTW, slaves and women were also once subjugated in order to ''perpetuate thousands of years of evolution and social organization''. Oppression and depriving folks of their freedom is just that... no matter how you try to gussy up the ''reasons'' (or ''put lipstick on a pig'', as the case may be)!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
The ability to compromise is a reflection of ones maturity. The inverse is also true.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,241,513 times
Compromise is an absolute necessity for a functioning representative government. Many modern politicians refuse to compromise, which is why our government is not currently functional.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Look at the North Carolina vote. Same sex marriage was ALREADY illegal, but civil unions/domestic partnerships were allowed. So they went on and passed a constitutional amendment that outlaws ALL forms of recognition for same sex couples.
Why should I compromise on my civil rights? Would you?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Look at the North Carolina vote. Same sex marriage was ALREADY illegal, but civil unions/domestic partnerships were allowed. So they went on and passed a constitutional amendment that outlaws ALL forms of recognition for same sex couples.
Why should I compromise on my civil rights? Would you?
Agreed, but civil unions would grant you all the rights associated with marriage EXCEPT for the word, and those civil unions would more than likely become marriages sooner rather than later. The truth is a vast majority of the population would accept civil unions today, while barely over half support full marriages. A decade ago, civil unions was the mainstream liberal position, today its the informed conservative position. NC's marriage amendment was able to pass because it banned gay marriages. Those who went to vote for it would have voted for it whether or not civil unions were included in the ban or not. It's marriage they wanted to ban. The radical right wing, completely out of touch with mainstream America, added the complete ban on all forms of recognition to that amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies