Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
All of these measures are done because no one has the nerve to just straight up OUTLAW cigarettes.

Not the tobacco they're made from...
just the manufactured, advertized, packaged, adulterated, industrial product.

Wanna smoke? OK. Buy a hand (or a tin) and roll your own.
And despite the bans, the tobacco industry receives a government subsidy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
And this is "liberalism"? Sounds like liberals exercising some staunch "conservatism". Hence, more evidence to point toward us silly Americans just like our labels, regardless of our understanding of them.

Liberalism.... conservatism.... whatever? I call it what it is! Authoritative BULL****!!!! I really wish these authoritarian types would move somewhere like North Korea! They'd fit in quite nicely with their narrow world views and fetish for controlling others!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
Well, I'm a liberal Oregon smoker and a part of me wishes this were a law. It would be so much easier to quit if the cigarettes weren't so readily available. Every time I've tried to quit, it was just so easy to jump in the car and go buy a pack when I couldn't take it anymore. If I couldn't do that I'd be forced to tough it out and within a week I'd be over the worst of it.

Sure, there would be bootleg cigarettes available, but I'm too much of a scaredy cat to do anything illegal. And certainly non-smokers would never even have a chance to start smoking. If it weren't for the powerful tobacco lobby, cigarettes would and should be an illegal substance.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Once again, there's a large difference between Oregon proposing to ban cigarettes--and one man in Oregonproposing to ban cigarettes. People like to complain about the weak level of reporting in the mainstream media, but unfortunately the level of journalism in the non-mainstream media and blogosphere is just as bad.
I was watching Hannity last night while he attempted to enrage his viewing audiance about one NY assembly member who previously pitched confiscating all guns in the state of NY. Hannity did not miss a beat as he segwayed this into the Obama plan for the nation.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
sayulita, I think the same thing. I smoke, a lot! It's my own fault of course for not quitting. I try, then I get weak & start all over again. I do think quitting cold turkey is the way to do it, no aids involved. I'm sure cigarettes won't be completely illegal though, too much money from tobacco companies. I'm happy they legalized pot though.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Well, I'm a liberal Oregon smoker and a part of me wishes this were a law. It would be so much easier to quit if the cigarettes weren't so readily available. Every time I've tried to quit, it was just so easy to jump in the car and go buy a pack when I couldn't take it anymore. If I couldn't do that I'd be forced to tough it out and within a week I'd be over the worst of it.

Sure, there would be bootleg cigarettes available, but I'm too much of a scaredy cat to do anything illegal. And certainly non-smokers would never even have a chance to start smoking. If it weren't for the powerful tobacco lobby, cigarettes would and should be an illegal substance.
Yeah, but what about people who like an occasional cigar? Or a cigarette with a drink once in a while--should that be illegal too? I quit smoking, but I still might like the occasional Dominican Cohiba with friends. Cigarettes have already been restricted almost everywhere, taxed at high levels--and so on... Why should we have to open up another front in the endless drug war? Do we really need local gangs and organized crime to just start raking cash in another government created black market... I mean I support anyone strongly who wants to quit smoking, but at the same time, it's not something that we need this level of legislative restrictions to enforce.

All the same though, it doesn't matter since this bill won't make it very far. The small business owners will oppose it and the often cash-strapped State of Oregon gets plenty of revenue off of the cigarette tax.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 AM

742 posts, read 678,678 times
Prescribed By a Doctor?? What Dr. would prescribe cigarettes?
They lost the vote for Legal MaryJ which is a negative... looks like something going wrong with their policies.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Doesn't stand a chance in hell, but the smoking bans are all a shell game, follow the money.

Oregon currently spends $7.5 million a year on tobacco prevention and cessation programs, which is 17.5 percent of the $43 million recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Other key findings for Oregon include:
  • Oregon this year will collect $332 million in revenue from the 1998 tobacco settlement and tobacco taxes, but will spend just 2.3 percent of it – all from tobacco tax revenues – on tobacco prevention programs. This means Oregon is spending just two cents of every dollar in tobacco revenue to fight tobacco use.
  • The tobacco companies spend $99.6 million a year to market their products in Oregon. This is 13 times what the state spends on tobacco prevention.
  • National Report: Oregon Ranks 20th in Protecting Kids from Tobacco -- WASHINGTON, Dec. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
I don't see cigarette marketing anywhere, besides a smoke shop. Where is it?
I commented last night that I think there's a lot of smoking on tv, I thought they were going to ban that too.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:46 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeking View Post
Prescribed By a Doctor?? What Dr. would prescribe cigarettes?
They lost the vote for Legal MaryJ which is a negative... looks like something going wrong with their policies.
Oregon will probably vote again on legalizing ganja before they actually ban all cigarettes though... If this cigarette law was put to a public vote I doubt it would it would get much support--there's still a lot of smokers in this state--both liberals and conservatives.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
I been hoping to move to Oregon for a few years now, but the Communists have taken over. May as well stay in Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies