Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The 4 states that seceded after Lincoln called up troops...Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas....what do their debates revolve around...Lincoln calling up troops and they mention the preservation of ______ from their words that Lincoln that wants to destroy ______.
Tennessee was the last state to leave the Union, although Maryland would have left is Lincoln hadn't arrested its leaders. Tennesseans voted several times to stay in the Union. They did not leave until Lincoln tried to force them to fight against their neighbors. Here's the statement the legislature made about seceding:

Quote:
The legislature of Tennessee, the last state to leave the Union, waived any opinion as to "the abstract doctrine of secession," but asserted "the right, as a free and independent people, to alter, reform or abolish our form of government, in such manner as we think proper."
Secession

They did not necessarily agree with the doctrine of secession, but they also were not willing to be forced into a war against their neighbors. Had Lincoln left TN alone, they most likely would not have seceded.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,756,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Ah, so you replace "race" with "people" now? But the two are very different things. By "race", you have allegiance to white southerners, but not Black, Hispanic, Asian or Native Americans living in the south.

Do you know what "race" means?
Nope. To me people and race are the same thing. White folks. I don't care if you don't like it or not. Its called nature...we are all born with a natural allegiance to their own kind....

Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM

775 posts, read 741,061 times
"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world."

I've learned that you need to repeat the same points over and over again to...slow people, before their brains begin to process the information.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 PM

775 posts, read 741,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Nope. To me people and race are the same thing. White folks. I don't care if you don't like it or not. Its called nature...we are all born with a natural allegiance to their own kind....
Ah, I get to debate a racist! I love these fests.

Logically justify your allegiance to your "own kind" (note: I have no allegiance to people of brown eye color). Note that appealing to nature is a naturalistic fallacy.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 PM

No one cares....don't you get it? I DO NOT CARE. Slaves were property just like mules,horses and cows...read some more....jesus christ....you are hard headed....The south was right,nothing you say is going to change my mind EVER. Like I said you have no idea what its like living here or growing up here. We have a lot of pride in our heritage and culture.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
This is not a matter of serious dispute.

Whether or not the North went to war over slavery is another concern. But the Confederacy was, and I'll say it, an evil political institution founded of the slave owners, by the slave owners, for the slave owners.

Don't believe me? Surely I must be horribly misrepresenting the intentions and beliefs of the glorious southerners, eh? Where's my proof? I guess I just take it from the direct words of the secessionists.

These are not cherry picked statements. If you read through each state's declaration of the justifications of secession, 95% of the text explicitly calls out the North for the evils of black freedom (yes, the South was so thoroughly backwards, it had no clue how vile and disgusting to the point of satire its rhetoric would sound to prosperity) and refers to its fellow southern states as fellow slaveholding states. They refer to states' rights and tariffs...maybe once or twice?

Any confederate apologists should actually read the Confederate constitution and the declarations of secession. I hardly exaggerate when I say that they read like the Mein Kampf. If the Right wishes to detach itself from its racist past, it should denounce southern apologists and ostracize confederate sympathizers.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Ah, I get to debate a racist! I love these fests.

Logically justify your allegiance to your "own kind" (note: I have no allegiance to people of brown eye color). Note that appealing to nature is a naturalistic fallacy.
Go to school please. Every animal in the world has an allegiance to its own kind....pretty obvious thing doesn't take a real genius....which in your case should be a good thing.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Tennessee was the last state to leave the Union, although Maryland would have left is Lincoln hadn't arrested its leaders. Tennesseans voted several times to stay in the Union. They did not leave until Lincoln tried to force them to fight against their neighbors. Here's the statement the legislature made about seceding:

Secession
That is Bogus. Read their whole debates. They could have remained neutral like a Missouri, Kentucky, or Delaware....all slave states that were left neutral until the south violated their neutrality first. They specifically argue that slavery must be protected.

Without slavery there is no Civil War in 1861.

P.S. Maryland might have went either way. Lincoln couldn't leave it to chance if he wanted to preserve the Union.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
[quote=RebelYell14;27945518...we are all born with a natural allegiance to their own kind....[/quote]

As a born and raised Yankee, I've always been a big fan of Sherman.

We should celebrate his upcoming birthday, February 8th, with a bonfire.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Some people really need to read a history book. Not every state that seceded did so over slavery, some did not secede until Lincoln tried to force them to send troops to fight their neighboring states:

Why Did the South Secede? | American Civil War
Whatever their reasons were for seceding, this is who they seceded to: C.S. Vice Pres. Alexander Stephens 'The Cornerstone Speech'....."the new government rest(ed) upon the great truth that the Negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery-subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth". If I join someone who is doing wrong, no matter my intentions, my joining them is still wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies