Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
When are you clowns in Virginia going to have your next mass school shooting at a place Tech or UVA? They make really great television and help fill up the hours on cable news and talk radio!
Some peole just like making fools of themseves spoting out things they nothing about.

I DON'T LIVE IN VIRGINIA and NEVER have.

Is THIS the great UVA massacre you are referring to?

"A lockdown at a Virginia university has been lifted after state police determined a report of a gunman on campus to be a hoax?

As I have said to you before, you should check some facts BEFORE posting.
Va. university lockdown ends; gun report a hoax

Let's talk about Virginia and the media.

I told this story in other threads.
"Appalachian Law School Shootings
Media Crushes The Truth

[SIZE=-1] “Finally, as the Washington Post reports, ‘Three students pounced on the gunman and held him until help arrived.’ Later in the story, the Post says, ‘The students then tackled the gunman.’ John Roberts at CBS News reported the story the very same way: ‘Three people were killed … before students tackled the suspect.’ At NBC News, Kevin Tibbles said the students ‘overpowered the gunman and held him until police could arrive.’”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1] “The bloody incident happened on January 16, 2002, and was picked up by news organizations all over the country, almost all of which covered the story the way the Washington Post and the networks did. Which means virtually all of them left out one tiny, little fact. Two of the three students who ‘pounced on’ and ‘tackled’ and ‘overpowered’ the gunman, also had guns[/SIZE].

[SIZE=-1]Both immediately ran to their cars and got their guns.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] “Mikael and Tracy were prepared to do something quite different: Both immediately ran to their cars and got their guns. Mikael had to run about one hundred yards to get to his car. Along with Ted Besen [who was unarmed], they approached Peter from different sides. As Tracy explains it, ‘I stopped at my vehicle and got a handgun, a revolver. Ted went toward Peter, and I aimed my gun at [Peter], and Peter tossed his gun down. Ted approached Peter, and Peter hit Ted in the jaw. Ted pushed him back and we all jumped on.’”[/SIZE]
http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/04/01/13/lang.htm

The truth is a bit different then what the media reported, isn't it? Why do YOU think the media didn't report the WHOLE truth?

Peoples opinions are formed by what the media tells them. The truth in this indecent wouldn't help the media'a anti gun agenda and makes people like you think a certain way.

This school was a "gun free zone", and the police officers were NOT allowed to have their guns in the school.

How much time went by before the police officers wee able to get their guns and subdue the shooter?

IF they had been armed at the onset, could they have saved some lives? We will never know will we?

Remember, When seconds count, the police are only a few minutes away".

I sincerely hope you or anyone in your family are ever in an indecent where the police on site are unarmed because of "gun free zone" laws".

?

You can red the WHOLE story here but, I doubt if you or any other anti gunner will bother because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 01-28-2013 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Really? You better take another look---http://www.responsivemanagement.com/...entsreport.pdf
What I said was: 12 people per 100,000 each year are killed by guns. 4.8 of them are homicides. The rest are either accidental or intentional, but not classified as homicide (i.e. police). Are we clear now? Your link does not refute my statement. Nor does it change the fact that 12 people per 100K die every year from guns and you have to go a LONG way down the list of sovereign entities on planet earth to find the next FIRST WORLD COUNTRY where there are significant firearms deaths. France might be something like 2 or 3 per 100K that would be the 2nd place entry. Why does America always have to be first in all the things where being first is bad and last in all the things where being last is bad?? Worse, WHY ARE CONSERVATIVES ALWAYS OK WITH THAT????

H

Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
I wonder how people don't get the absurdity of that comment. I mean for all the things to put your hat on, I would look at the faullout implications reasons that the assault weapon ban worked/didn't work.

the idea that a CITY like DC could put forward any meaningful gun control legislation is insane. I mean seriously, you don't even need a car to go to Maryland, Virginia, etc. Just jump on the metro.

I think any gun control advocate would argue that state/city laws won't be effective until we are stricter at the federal level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I thought D.C. was supposed to be safe with all their gun control.

"Five people were shot at a the DC Soundstage early Saturday. It happened just after 2:30 a.m. in the 2400 block of Benning Road NE. Continue reading

Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What I said was: 12 people per 100,000 each year are killed by guns. 4.8 of them are homicides. The rest are either accidental or intentional, but not classified as homicide (i.e. police). Are we clear now? Your link does not refute my statement. Nor does it change the fact that 12 people per 100K die every year from guns and you have to go a LONG way down the list of sovereign entities on planet earth to find the next FIRST WORLD COUNTRY where there are significant firearms deaths. France might be something like 2 or 3 per 100K that would be the 2nd place entry. Why does America always have to be first in all the things where being first is bad and last in all the things where being last is bad?? Worse, WHY ARE CONSERVATIVES ALWAYS OK WITH THAT????

H
I have no clue why it is somehow worse for someone to end their life with a gun as opposed to hanging themselves in the woods.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H
Why are you still bringing up suicide? Do you honestly think guns drive suicide? Japan has a very low gun ownership rate, but a very high suicide rate - close to 20 per 100K.

Accidental shootings would be classified as negligent homicide and police shootings are usually justified homicides. America can change the guns laws all they want, but it won't make the homicide rate or suicide rate go down. First, you would just create a new black market and second, you can build a gun with a 3 D printer.

Look at what drives violence for a solution.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I wonder how people don't get the absurdity of that comment. I mean for all the things to put your hat on, I would look at the faullout implications reasons that the assault weapon ban worked/didn't work.

the idea that a CITY like DC could put forward any meaningful gun control legislation is insane. I mean seriously, you don't even need a car to go to Maryland, Virginia, etc. Just jump on the metro.

I think any gun control advocate would argue that state/city laws won't be effective until we are stricter at the federal level.
The assault weapon ban didn't work because criminals prefer pistols and shotguns. IF, and that's a big if, you got rid of every rifle in the USA AND all the printers and equipment to make them AND people decided that they wouldn't use another weapon in its place, you would only reduce murder by 323 counts.

It is illegal to go to another state to purchase firearms, yes it could be done, but it is illegal. When D.C. implemented their handgun ban approx 20% of the guns confiscated were homemade, nobody knows where the other guns came from.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
I never said gun violence is a good thing. I said guns are not the problem. We have other underlying causes for the violence.

Elisabeth Fosslien's Gun Charts - Business Insider

I don't have much confidence in the charts of someone who works for Leo Burnett, a huge propaganda and marketing agency. And that is all they do, work for people who hire them, creating propaganda and doing marketing.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I don't have much confidence in the charts of someone who works for Leo Burnett, a huge propaganda and marketing agency. And that is all they do, work for people who hire them, creating propaganda and doing marketing.
The data is accurate and verifiable. I just thought a nice pretty graph would be easier to digest. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.

FBI — Crime in the U.S. 2007
Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - Publications & Products: Homicide Trends in the United States
http://www.press.umich.edu/script/press/17530
http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf
The Geography of U.S. Gun Violence - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
And I always use advertising agencies' charts for anything, because, well, advertisers are so intent on telling the truth, aren't they?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
And I always use advertising agencies' charts for anything, because, well, advertisers are so intent on telling the truth, aren't they?
The statistician made the chart, not the agency, and she could have just as easily worked for a bank in Kansas City. My decision science prof. used to build models and trends in his spare time too, it really isn't that unusual.

Here is her personal website and the site the data was taken from.

http://fosslien.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies