Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Neo Progso you support a Ban on DIY projects in your own home like Australia has?
Yes, it's just too dangerous 4 11.76%
No, it's your home, you should be free to do as you like 30 88.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times

Advertisements

In Louisiana you can't be a flower arranger without a license. That's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is really strange and doesn't fit my perception of Australia at all nor what I have read about it. Australia ranks #3 in the world in economic freedom. Are you really sure that they don't allow DIY?

"Australia’s economic freedom score is 82.6, making its economy the 3rd freest in the 2013 Index. Its overall score is 0.5 point lower than last year, with score gains in freedom from corruption and business freedom offset by declines in labor freedom and the management of government spending. Australia is ranked 3rd out of 41 countries in the Asia–Pacific region, and its score is well above the regional and world averages.
Australia’s strong commitment to economic freedom has resulted in a policy framework that encourages impressive economic resilience. A well-functioning independent judiciary ensures strong protection of property rights, and corruption is minimal. Openness to global trade and investment is firmly institutionalized, and the economy has rebounded relatively quickly from the global recession."

Australia Economy: Population, GDP, Inflation, Business, Trade, FDI, Corruption
Interesting that the heritage foundation would consider australia to be so free, you can be arrested for carrying a butter knife in that hellhole.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
New Jersey and Oregon don't allow self service gas stations.

Some may defend it as a safety issue, but any reasonably intelligent person will realize it is a job protection scheme. It is an absurd intervention by government.

I don't know the history of the Australian law, but I bet its roots are to guarantee a certain economy for people with these skills. I think it is silly and offensive.
But this is in your own home. Read the thread, most of them feel that it's too dangerous to do these things, they live in fear.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
I don't know what a "neo-prog" is, but I'm assuming it is anyone to the left of Rush Limbaugh. I support anyone defending themselves with a gun in their home. I also support armed guards at schools, too.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,460,349 times
Even as a lib-rul, I don't particularly agree with a lot of DIY restrictions, unless they affect public safety. But am not particularly surprised re: Australia, which many folks mistakenly figure is much like the U.S., except with an Aussie accent. When in fact they actually have a lot of restrictions, and most notoriously, Freedom of Speech isn't even included in their Constitution.... fair dinkum, mate!!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
New Jersey and Oregon don't allow self service gas stations.

Some may defend it as a safety issue, but any reasonably intelligent person will realize it is a job protection scheme. It is an absurd intervention by government.
That in Oregon has been upheld via vote by citizens multiple times over the decades since it was put in place during one of Oregon worse economic downturns. A move that was demanded, and heavily supported by citizens when it was first put in place. The only "people" against it were out of state gas station owners.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Hey...in Oregon and New Jersey you can't pump your own gasoline.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
So let me set up the story. We were in Australia about 8 years ago and loved it; beautiful, fun country, nice people, great food. But I sensed an undercurrent of statism, i.e. the government is smarter than it's citizens and knows what's better for them than they do. To me it's identical to Barack Obama's and the modern democratic party's mindset. In the Australia forum there was a thread that asked what irked you about Australia and I mentioned this and asked if one were allowed to install a ceiling fan or replace a toliet in your own home, and much to my surprise was told that no, you can't do that, it is illegal. One must hire a state liscensed contractor to do that. There are no Lowes or Home Depot in Australia. When displaying my shock at this, my post was met with credulity; one poster even compared installing a new ceiling fan with open heart surgery; here's the post:

Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy
That is unbelievable. Another example of government elites thinking that they in their infinite wisdom know better and are smarter than you. For crying out loud, it's your own home. Talk about an overreaching HUGE government industrial complex. PATHETIC!

So are you are allowed to do your own gas installation in the US? That sounds rather scary to be honest.

What about surgery? Can anyone have a go at open heart surgery?

So here's my question for Neo Progs, do you support a ban on DIY projects in your own home like Australia has?
I have not heard either party make such proposals in US.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Why is it any of my business what any other country does?
For that matter, why is it any of your business what anyone other than yourself does if it doesn't cause you bodily harm?

It's not.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,142,781 times
This could happen overnight.. A couple well placed stories on your favorite news stations and poof suddenly its in committee you need updating, licenses etc etc.. happens already and it hasnt stopped. The tide is still coming in, the question is where will it stop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies