Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Neo Progso you support a Ban on DIY projects in your own home like Australia has?
Yes, it's just too dangerous 4 11.76%
No, it's your home, you should be free to do as you like 30 88.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,210,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
If you live in a town in America, there are probably already a lot of DIY restrictions. Particularly on major project, projects that will effect drainage, or projects that will cause erosion.
Not a lot. If you want to install a ceiling fan - you can do it. Home Depot will teach you how.

Put in your own sprinkler system? Sure. Add cable and ethernet wiring? Sure.

Re-wire your breaker box? Maybe not. Probably not advised. And very few people are willing to mess with serious amounts of electricity.

If a person screws up because of negligence, they should be held accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,110,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
If you live in a town in America, there are probably already a lot of DIY restrictions. Particularly on major project, projects that will effect drainage, or projects that will cause erosion.
Sure, but that has nothing to do with what we're talking about. I brought up specific examples such as changing a ceiling fan in your living room or changing some fixtures on your bathroom sink; simple, easy projects. Even those are illegal in Australia.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:37 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,452,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
As I said - it is a job protection scheme. That voters support it - amazes me. But the NJ rule survives also.

I bet the remaining 48 states, if they tried to required full service gas, the vote would be defeated by overwhelming percentages.
So job CREATION, is now job PROTECTION.

Got it.

Ironically, gas prices in Oregon tend to be lower, especially a few miles within the border, tend to be cheaper then prices on the other side of the border.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:55 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,512,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
So let me set up the story. We were in Australia about 8 years ago and loved it; beautiful, fun country, nice people, great food. But I sensed an undercurrent of statism, i.e. the government is smarter than it's citizens and knows what's better for them than they do. To me it's identical to Barack Obama's and the modern democratic party's mindset. In the Australia forum there was a thread that asked what irked you about Australia and I mentioned this and asked if one were allowed to install a ceiling fan or replace a toliet in your own home, and much to my surprise was told that no, you can't do that, it is illegal. One must hire a state liscensed contractor to do that. There are no Lowes or Home Depot in Australia. When displaying my shock at this, my post was met with credulity; one poster even compared installing a new ceiling fan with open heart surgery; here's the post:

Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy
That is unbelievable. Another example of government elites thinking that they in their infinite wisdom know better and are smarter than you. For crying out loud, it's your own home. Talk about an overreaching HUGE government industrial complex. PATHETIC!

So are you are allowed to do your own gas installation in the US? That sounds rather scary to be honest.

What about surgery? Can anyone have a go at open heart surgery?

So here's my question for Neo Progs, do you support a ban on DIY projects in your own home like Australia has?
Maybe we should paint a picture, lets say you wanted to totally rebuild your house

You can DIY these occupations with out a problem in the world.

1) Carpenter
2) Bricklayer
3) Tiler
4) Cabinetmaker
5) Metal Farbicator- Welder
6) Stone mason
7) Roofing Installer
8) Plasterer
9) Joiner
10) Insulation Installer
11) Landscape Artitst
12) Architect
13) Concreter
14) Gardener

and Just about anything else you could possibly ever think of except

1) Electrician
2) Plumber

Even then there are excpetions, somone else here talked about installing a sprinkler system in your garden, you can do that no problems at all with out a plumber.

The comments that you cant buy this kind DIY products in Australia and we somehow lack freedom or speech or what not would be laughable , if they were not so offensive.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-01-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,130,893 times
Holy ****
She really does need it spelled out for her.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:22 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,512,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Interesting that the heritage foundation would consider australia to be so free, you can be arrested for carrying a butter knife in that hellhole.
Now that is funny.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,784,501 times
It is not an exaggeration to say that Australia's government hates its subjects. It is actively and aggressively replacing its subjects as I write this. In the Colonial Period, their government oversaw the importation of Old Stock Australians' ancestors as slaves/convicts, and I think this set a precedent for how that lovely country's filthy government views the kind and beautiful people it rules: to their own government, they are nothing but slaves of the British Empire.

Australia's government gleefully shipped off as many beautiful Australian men as it could, to be blown to bits in the two absolutely pointless World Wars. And now, that same government has shown its gratitude for their heroism and sacrifice, by first confiscating their weapons, and then importing the very sort of people against whom Australians will need to defend themselves.

After all: Australians were too smart, too nice, too blond and beautiful. Who was there for the government elites to look down upon? The obvious fix was to import a more contemptible populace.

The latest assault on Australians' freedom was to be the banning of a huge list of plants, including Buckwheat. It seems that any plant which could conceivably - even by the most absurd stretch - be used for "getting high", including Buckwheat and Nutmeg, were to be forbidden. Half the ornamental plants in people's gardens were to be forbidden (some, you were to be allowed to possess in very limited quantities... like ten... Heaven forbid you should have eleven Zinnias! To the dungeons with you, Granny: you have exceeded your Zinnia allotment!). That insane over-regulation has not made it into law... yet. But the very preemptive nature of the proposed regulation was a horrible slap-in-the-face to the populace. Here's how Australia's government views its citizenry: scum whose every breath and every action have to be micromanaged.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-01-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM

174 posts, read 154,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
So let me set up the story. We were in Australia about 8 years ago and loved it; beautiful, fun country, nice people, great food. But I sensed an undercurrent of statism, i.e. the government is smarter than it's citizens and knows what's better for them than they do. To me it's identical to Barack Obama's and the modern democratic party's mindset. In the Australia forum there was a thread that asked what irked you about Australia and I mentioned this and asked if one were allowed to install a ceiling fan or replace a toliet in your own home, and much to my surprise was told that no, you can't do that, it is illegal. One must hire a state liscensed contractor to do that. There are no Lowes or Home Depot in Australia. When displaying my shock at this, my post was met with credulity; one poster even compared installing a new ceiling fan with open heart surgery; here's the post:

Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy
That is unbelievable. Another example of government elites thinking that they in their infinite wisdom know better and are smarter than you. For crying out loud, it's your own home. Talk about an overreaching HUGE government industrial complex. PATHETIC!

So are you are allowed to do your own gas installation in the US? That sounds rather scary to be honest.

What about surgery? Can anyone have a go at open heart surgery?

So here's my question for Neo Progs, do you support a ban on DIY projects in your own home like Australia has?
Something tells me that Lowe's would be surprised to know that don't really have any stores in Australia. They're not called "Lowe's", but they are "Lowe's"-style home improvement stores owned by Lowe's.
Masters plan for DIY market
Quote:
THE new Woolworths hardware brand has been named Masters as Australia's biggest supermarket chain prepares for its entry to the $42 billion home-improvement market. Woolworths and its joint venture partner, Lowe's Companies of the US, said the first Masters store would open in September or October [2011] at Braybrook, a Melbourne suburb.
Quote:

The chief executive of Masters, Don Stallings, said the home-improvement business was ready for a new name. ''With just a few months to go until opening, we're putting the finishing touches to our plans,'' he said in a statement. ''In years to come … this brand will become a very familiar one for Australian DIY-ers, so it was important to choose a strong and simple name that will stand the test of time.''
Oh, and by the way, the Australian DIY market is dominated by Bunnings Warehouse, with over 250 stores nationwide. That's a lot of DIY stores for a country that supposedly doesn't allow any DIY.
Learn How To D.I.Y. - Bunnings Warehouse

Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM

47,008 posts, read 26,069,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Somebody from a country in Northern Europe was expressing amazement to one of my friends that in America you could actually put up your own wallpaper.
Where the h.ll was that? I'm from Northern Europe, btw...

Old 02-01-2013, 03:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,719,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
It is not an exaggeration to say that Australia's government hates its subjects. It is actively and aggressively replacing its subjects as I write this. In the Colonial Period, their government oversaw the importation of Old Stock Australians' ancestors as slaves/convicts, and I think this set a precedent for how that lovely country's filthy government views the kind and beautiful people it rules: to their own government, they are nothing but slaves of the British Empire.

Australia's government gleefully shipped off as many beautiful Australian men as it could, to be blown to bits in the two absolutely pointless World Wars. And now, that same government has shown its gratitude for their heroism and sacrifice, by first confiscating their weapons, and then importing the very sort of people against whom Australians will need to defend themselves.

After all: Australians were too smart, too nice, too blond and beautiful. Who was there for the government elites to look down upon? The obvious fix was to import a more contemptible populace.

The latest assault on Australians' freedom was to be the banning of a huge list of plants, including Buckwheat. It seems that any plant which could conceivably - even by the most absurd stretch - be used for "getting high", including Buckwheat and Nutmeg, were to be forbidden. Half the ornamental plants in people's gardens were to be forbidden (some, you were to be allowed to possess in very limited quantities... like ten... Heaven forbid you should have eleven Zinnias! To the dungeons with you, Granny: you have exceeded your Zinnia allotment!). That insane over-regulation has not made it into law... yet. But the very preemptive nature of the proposed regulation was a horrible slap-in-the-face to the populace. Here's how Australia's government views its citizenry: scum whose every breath and every action have to be micromanaged.

As for the DIY ban on electric and plumbing fixtures, it could be worse. Somebody from a country in Northern Europe was expressing amazement to one of my friends that in America you could actually put up your own wallpaper.

Me, I'd rather be dead, than live under a tyranny so absolute that I would not be allowed to put up my own damn wallpaper in my own damn house.
What is the country in Northern Europe where you can't put up your own wallpaper? That does sound freaky.

You are talking about national laws rather than just some HOA rules?

Great! - now I've got the Bunnings jingle stuck in my head.

Last edited by Joe90; 02-01-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies