Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,979,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What if the next school/mall shooter decides to bring several 10 rd magazines and has been practicing reloading drills for months before he does the deed? What if he gets one of the millions of high capacity mags already out in the public realm?

What if banning them doesn't make bad things stop happening?! What if the politicians are lying about making the world safer by making yet more laws and just want to make themselves look good to ignorant people for the next election by "doing something" that is really quite easy compared to working on the real problem (dealing with crazy people who want to hurt others) and is actually completely ineffective in reality!?
The poly tics won't do one damned thing.... They know if they do their days of good money for little work are GONE, just like last time.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,425,426 times
...then reload and try again.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 PM

1,396 posts, read 2,042,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
...then reload and try again.
Except for .45 ACP, 10mm, 357 SIG, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .500 S&W and .50 AE....they don't usually get up.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,595,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I hadn't thought of that. I sometimes get "stuck" on the can for extended times.
yet you never seem to get it all out

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,905,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Wouldn't you really be better of just getting the hell out of there?
Go take a personal defense class, study the chemical reactions of the body under severe stress, { in other words, go E.D.U.C.A.T.E. yourself } and then come back and ask a logical querstion.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Wouldn't you really be better of just getting the hell out of there?
Hey, genius.
There might be more than one of them there.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
But but, what if there's 12 invaders and you only have 10 bullets and 1 knife? And and, you forgot to replace your hand grenade from the last time!!

Spot on florida.bob!

One day, when I was a kid growing up just outside Detroit in the late Sixties, a police car slow-rolled down my street telling people over the loud speaker to get off the streets and that a curfew was in place. My friend's mother sent me home where I saw my father loading his M-1 Carbine with a fifteen round magazine. He said, "The first fifteen are dead...I'll fight the rest."

As we have seen on many occasions since then, the police cannot always maintain control and when that happens individuals have both a right and a duty to protect themselves, their families and our way of life.

If fifteen rounds, thirty rounds or even more are needed to accomplish that, so be it.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,210,714 times
If you can't hit the home invader with the first 10 bullets

You smile and congratulate yourself that you recently picked up a 30 round clip and keep on firing until the home invaders head looks like red jello splattered all over the walls....

Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,464,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Have you ever shot at a moving target? Under the most massive amount of stress you have ever been under in your life? Have you ever been shot at? After being woken up at 2am? Do you really know anything about what is commonly referred too as "tactical shooting?"

Why do military persons carry massive amounts of rounds on their person? They are highly trained, yet it takes them many, many, many, many rounds to kill one target. Same holds true for police.

You don't always have a paper target sitting on a target stand. And Hollywood Movies and TV Shows are fake.

Not too mention, what about multiple intruders? Rarely is a home invasion done alone.

Do you know how many people are shot and still live? How many rounds does it take to stop someone? 1, 2, 3, 14? Who knows? There is no "magic formula." Someone MAY go down with one round; however, again, this isn't Hollywood. This is real life. It could take 15, 20, 30 rounds to stop someone.

The problem with this issue is the ignorance of the general public. Yet, they believe they can make statements which hold some sort of water, without knowing anything. Except what they see on TV.
Speaking of watching too much television...

Most people don't realize that there is a tremendous statistical improbability for a burglar to break into one's home in the middle of the night and be a threat to life or limb. Most home invasions that end in something violent are committed by people whom the victim knows - and is usually the result of an ongoing dispute when one of the people with four teeth gets mad at one of the people with three teeth (at least, that's what they show on "Cops"). There is this myth, often touted by the gun nuts, that it's not a matter of if a break-in happens but a matter of when. Again, too much TV for the extremely paranoid.

Here's some food for thought for the paranoid rednecks dreaming of the day they get to blow the brains out of someone whose stepped three inches inside their 100-acre property line:

Think like a burglar. If you're going to break into someone's home in the middle of the night, there are all sorts of things that are going to amplify your nervousness and your awareness. Where is the house located relative to other homes? How many people have you seen enter or leave the house? Alarm systems? Dogs? How many men? How many women? Children? What's the risk? What's the reward?

Going into the situation, the burglar is, believe it or not, the one usually under extreme duress. Don't get me wrong, he's still the criminal but it's he who is going to be most likely to flee in a fight or flight scenario. If you pop off ten rounds when I come through your front door, I'm not hanging around. Hell, if you pop off one round, I'm not hanging around. Neither are my buddies. Oh, and the louder the gun, the quicker I'm leaving.

There is this absurd idea that burglars are just walking into homes scared of absolutely nothing and have no heightened sense of awareness, fear, or concept of what they're doing. Most of them probably aren't coming into the house when you're home anyway. It's probably more likely that your weapon gets burgled and sold on the street where it will then kill someone else as opposed to you getting to finally legally murder that person you've been fantasizing about all these years.

So, let's stop making it sound like every neighborhood in America is having some guy with body armor and bulletproof vests kick in the front door, murder the occupants of the home, and take whatever he wants. Of course, if your life revolves around NRA videos and perpetual fear of the zombie apocalypse, having more than ten rounds per clip is an absolute prerequisite because, you know, the zombie apocalypse, end of the world, masked intruders from Gotham City, and the guvment coming for us is around the corner anyway, right?

Last edited by GCSTroop; 02-04-2013 at 11:55 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,919,688 times
I find it telling that the OP more concerned about limiting the rounds of the innocent person who's having their house broken into.

Either way, this gun control probably won't even make it through the Senate, and it doesn't stand a chance in the House. Bans don't work. American history backs me up on this. War on drugs? Prohibition? Ban on gay marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies