Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
In other words, the "right" of a person not to have to coexist with certain others trumps certain other peoples' right to work, live, etc. wherever they choose.

Got it.

(I'm not expecting an answer from KS_Referee, since I'm apparently on his/her ignore list, but perhaps one of you other libertarians could chime in. How is "freedom" enhanced by allowing people to deprive others of the right to live, work, etc. wherever they can and want to?)
immigration laws deprive people the right to live/work whereever they want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM

15,093 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Wrong. The Federal Government (yes, really) granted the rail companies enormous amounts of land in return for them building the transcontinental railroad.

Pacific Railroad Acts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Federal government doesn't have any land to grant ... SLAVE .......

We the people own the land ... it's OUR LAND .... WE OWN IT.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The Federal government doesn't have any land to grant ... SLAVE .......

We the people own the land ... it's OUR LAND .... WE OWN IT.

LOL, half the west was settled by the largest GUBMINT LAND REDISTRIBUTION PROGRAM ever.... the Homestead Act.

Land owned "by the people" was GIVEN AWAY to countless people, for FREE. WE THE PEOPLE had our greatest collective land assets redistributed to people who didn't want to or couldn't buy the land if they tried.

Undoubtedly, the fortunes of of many "self made men" were built on this land distribution scheme. Land they would not otherwise have been able to afford, the government gave to them so they could have an opportunity.

Today the center of @sshattery Libertarianism is ironically the very same place where the gubmint redistributed the land! Imagine that!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
I don't think anyone out there is dumb enough to actually want a libertarian society/country. I used to say in college that a "truly" communist country would be great.....but I think I was just caught up in the romance of the theory...I think I knew that in practice it's a sh*tstorm.

Whether the Libertarians want to acknowledge it or not...countries like Chad, Somalia, and Yemen are the closest things that we have in modern times to a truly libertarian country. The central governments are very weak, autonomy is more at the local level, the governing body is basically (for all intents and purposes) decentralized, taxes are low, and people have what amounts to maximum liberty...you can do whatever in the hell you want in these places.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I don't think anyone out there is dumb enough to actually want a libertarian society/country. I used to say in college that a "truly" communist country would be great.....but I think I was just caught up in the romance of the theory...I think I knew that in practice it's a sh*tstorm.

Whether the Libertarians want to acknowledge it or not...countries like Chad, Somalia, and Yemen are the closest things that we have in modern times to a truly libertarian country. The central governments are very weak, autonomy is more at the local level, the governing body is basically (for all intents and purposes) decentralized, taxes are low, and people have what amounts to maximum liberty...you can do whatever in the hell you want in these places.
i wouldnt consider those places that free since religious fundamentalism is too big of a factor in those societies. freest place i have ever lived was cambodia circa 10 years ago. govt wasn't strong enough to enforce the majority of laws. when a cop tried to pull me over i'd just flip them off and keep on driving, they'd give up eventually, they were just looking for a small bribe anyways. drugs, prostitution, guns, etc no problem. no problem making money in grey market activities like electronic smuggling, etc. it's changing now, the chinese are propping up the govt, giving it a better grasp on the populous. more dangeous/violent organized crime moving in from west africa and eastern europe. i dont think this is necessarily a good thing tho.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Libertarianism sounds good on paper, but doesn't work in the real world.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Libertarianism sounds good on paper, but doesn't work in the real world.
Whenever more than one person is living within a community, there has to be an understanding of fairness and behavior. Otherwise, we would be living like animals.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
What's the difference between libertarians and anarchy? Libertarians wear ties?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
The US should be the first.
Sound like the first to to fall to the lowest of the low third world state.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i wouldnt consider those places that free since religious fundamentalism is too big of a factor in those societies. freest place i have ever lived was cambodia circa 10 years ago. govt wasn't strong enough to enforce the majority of laws. when a cop tried to pull me over i'd just flip them off and keep on driving, they'd give up eventually, they were just looking for a small bribe anyways. drugs, prostitution, guns, etc no problem. no problem making money in grey market activities like electronic smuggling, etc. it's changing now, the chinese are propping up the govt, giving it a better grasp on the populous. more dangeous/violent organized crime moving in from west africa and eastern europe. i dont think this is necessarily a good thing tho.
Cambodia is a great example of "libertarianism." This country doesn't have the credibility to enforce it's own laws. It baffles my mind that anyone could want that for this our country. These types of "governments" foster opportunisitic "strong-men" that are looking for ways to raise through the ranks and grab power.....see Pol Pot/Khmer Rouge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies