Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,490,836 times

Advertisements

So what happens in Libertopia if you need to drive somewhere but haven't paid your monthly private road assessment? You don't think any violence would be involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,288,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The problem is that we never get a choice. I am mostly Libertarian, but I do not accept the open borders policy as long as third world backwaters exist. As for "services" I believe most of them would be covered by private investment or by voluntary subscription. The powers that be will always resist Libertarian ideals because they know that once they took hold, the current system backed by violence would fail.
So basically you want to live in community countries that are corporation owned?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,828,480 times
I liked each and every one of the 10 things on the list. Call it utopia if you want. I think it would be the closest thing to what the founding fathers envisioned and had that this country has seen in 130 to 150 years.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
So what happens in Libertopia if you need to drive somewhere but haven't paid your monthly private road assessment? You don't think any violence would be involved?
They would never drive anywhere, they would be too busy working trying to pay off their debt to their corporation they work for that provides them with their services for a fee.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,992,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
We have already had that Libertarian Society, it was England in the 18th Century. Wasn't that a marvelous utopia? The rich didn't have to contribute to the welfare of the poor; industry was free to pump out whatever waste they wanted into the air and water; your could hire children at whatever wage-rate you wanted to work 16 hour days and, you had to pay for your own protection because their were no publicly paid police, etc.

It was such a utopia that Charles Dickens wrote "Oliver Twist," 'David Copperfield" and "A Christmas Carol," to illustrate how wonderful a libertarian society is. It's so much more desirable than today's world where children actually must attend school instead of working in a factory; where there is government rules that keep the air and water clean; where the rich pay taxes to support those that fall through the cracks.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I liked each and every one of the 10 things on the list. Call it utopia if you want. I think it would be the closest thing to what the founding fathers envisioned and had that this country has seen in 130 to 150 years.
Our founding fathers imagined a country with open borders and people being slaves to their corporations for the services they provide?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,783,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Of course to the far right you are a liberal, Marxist, communist.
I might be but those would be the radicals.

I'm far from liberal fiscally and far from conservative socially.

There's just no happy medium party. I know far more Rs that feel this way than not.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I might be but those would be the radicals.

I'm far from liberal fiscally and far from conservative socially.

There's just no happy medium party. I know far more Rs that feel this way than not.
I think if the Republicans gave up on the social issues and let them all pass, they would crush it in the elections cause they would be a much better party for more Americans.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,622,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The problem is that we never get a choice. I am mostly Libertarian, but I do not accept the open borders policy as long as third world backwaters exist.
you don't think employers have the right to hire who they want? or landlords have the right to rent to who they want?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM

143 posts, read 122,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

Because libertarianism requires the ideologue to have an extreme case of unwarranted self importance along with a healthy dose of narcissism in order to truly believe it. The belief is that a societal shake-up will allow their ascent in the new class structure. They have no use for society as expressed through its social contract- government and consider it a hindrance. But instead of just opting out for an environment more in line with their principles, or operate within the rules that have been agreed upon by society, they choose to demand acquiescence and capitulation from said society. They seek not liberty, but the opportunity to tyrannize others- become a new ruling class. Why? Because its human nature. Or maybe I am too cynical...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies