Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Neo Progso you support a Ban on DIY projects in your own home like Australia has?
Yes, it's just too dangerous 4 11.76%
No, it's your home, you should be free to do as you like 30 88.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:48 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times

Advertisements

So let me set up the story. We were in Australia about 8 years ago and loved it; beautiful, fun country, nice people, great food. But I sensed an undercurrent of statism, i.e. the government is smarter than it's citizens and knows what's better for them than they do. To me it's identical to Barack Obama's and the modern democratic party's mindset. In the Australia forum there was a thread that asked what irked you about Australia and I mentioned this and asked if one were allowed to install a ceiling fan or replace a toliet in your own home, and much to my surprise was told that no, you can't do that, it is illegal. One must hire a state liscensed contractor to do that. There are no Lowes or Home Depot in Australia. When displaying my shock at this, my post was met with credulity; one poster even compared installing a new ceiling fan with open heart surgery; here's the post:

Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy
That is unbelievable. Another example of government elites thinking that they in their infinite wisdom know better and are smarter than you. For crying out loud, it's your own home. Talk about an overreaching HUGE government industrial complex. PATHETIC!

So are you are allowed to do your own gas installation in the US? That sounds rather scary to be honest.

What about surgery? Can anyone have a go at open heart surgery?

So here's my question for Neo Progs, do you support a ban on DIY projects in your own home like Australia has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
LOL! Mom of Sophia, we are certainly headed there.... American progs may say today that they dont think like this but believe me, they will get the news behind the horror of how many people die from falling off ladders (actually more than get killed by guns every year) and poof! Home Depot will be a relec of our barbaric past.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
how wlll they stop me from DIY in my own home?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, they might not be able to put a camera in your house, but if you cannot buy a comode or a fan because you have to have a state granted (and paid for) license to buy them, and you have to have a state granted permit (that has to be paid for).... guess what?

Then lets suppose you do make some changes, then decide to sell your home.... if those changes arent offical and arent recorded, guess who gets a fine upon the sell of your home? The good news is, you wont have to worry about paying capital gain on your house sell...

Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times
Quote:
You can't buy all of the parts that would allow you to do the installing. You have to be a liscensed contractor to purchase the items. Here's another comment in that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera
Yes, any electrical (ie rewiring) plumbing (moving gas pipes) etc need to be done by licensed person but... any thing else is okay ie minor renovations.

Of course you can do it, there's no roaming governmental blitzes on home renovations - good luck if you ever need to make an insurance claim though.

Therein lies the key. If something goes wrong, you are stuffed if you did it yourself. I am a tradesman (landscaper) and feel confident handling some of my own basic electrical and most drainage situations, but to describe a Govt decree that protects the person as "over-reaching" and "nanny-state" bollox is just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90
So are you are allowed to do your own gas installation in the US? That sounds rather scary to be honest.

What about surgery? Can anyone have a go at open heart surgery?

I suspect people in the US (in particular) don't respect 'trades' as such. It is seen as a lowly job, performed by immigrants etc. I wonder what the mortality rates are like amongst middle-class DIY-ers in the US

Probably the last thing that irks me about Australia?!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,042 times
Quote:
How will they stop you from smoking plants or drinking raw milk? Of course they can't really stop you but they can make life more miserable and expensive whilst trying.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
So here's my question for Neo Progs, do you support a ban on DIY projects in your own home like Australia has?
Disgusting. That alone would prevent me from living in Australia.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
This is really strange and doesn't fit my perception of Australia at all nor what I have read about it. Australia ranks #3 in the world in economic freedom. Are you really sure that they don't allow DIY?

"Australia’s economic freedom score is 82.6, making its economy the 3rd freest in the 2013 Index. Its overall score is 0.5 point lower than last year, with score gains in freedom from corruption and business freedom offset by declines in labor freedom and the management of government spending. Australia is ranked 3rd out of 41 countries in the Asia–Pacific region, and its score is well above the regional and world averages.
Australia’s strong commitment to economic freedom has resulted in a policy framework that encourages impressive economic resilience. A well-functioning independent judiciary ensures strong protection of property rights, and corruption is minimal. Openness to global trade and investment is firmly institutionalized, and the economy has rebounded relatively quickly from the global recession."

Australia Economy: Population, GDP, Inflation, Business, Trade, FDI, Corruption

Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
New Jersey and Oregon don't allow self service gas stations.

Some may defend it as a safety issue, but any reasonably intelligent person will realize it is a job protection scheme. It is an absurd intervention by government.

I don't know the history of the Australian law, but I bet its roots are to guarantee a certain economy for people with these skills. I think it is silly and offensive.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
How will they stop you from smoking plants or drinking raw milk? Of course they can't really stop you but they can make life more miserable and expensive whilst trying.

sorry, I stop me from smoking plants as I am allergic to thc. I drink raw milk alot, about 2-3 gallons a week.
hard to make it more expensive for me, as I dont let people not known to me onto my property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies