Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post

Somone needs to get a grip. LOL...it's just flour, milk, eggs, baking powder and flavoring.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
You would think they would have and support someone in the gay community, that provides that service with a lot of style and creativity.....

When I don't click, I take my business elsewhere.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Bigotry is illegal in Oregon. The law covers the same action if he did it to blacks, jews, or christians.

Using the bible to hate perverts gods word of love for his creations. This man should be ashamed.
If you are in Oregon, you just broke the law with your bigotry to believers. Who decides these things. I think that law is unconstitutional. Just as the hate crimes law is unconstitutional. Has everybody in the USA gone crazy? Being free means you can decide who you want to do business with, who you want to socialize with, etc. Some people just need to get over themselves. A person should be allowed to decide who they want to bake a cake for and who they don't. Is he the only bakery in town?

Are you telling me that Oregon actually tells a business who they have to do business with? That's wrong.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
At our place of business we have a big sign that reads.... "We have the right to refuse service to anyone".

We don't need a reason.

20yrsinBranson
Oh goody, goody! Just like in Jim Crow times.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
According to the Bill of Rights we have freedom of religion, it does not say anything about freedom from religion.
Of means the same as from. WE do not have to have a relgion, this has been hashed through before. In the reference below, #7 lists from as a synonym of of.

of - synonyms or related words for of - Macmillan Dictionary and Thesaurus

used for saying what group a particular person or thing is from
Synonyms or related words for this sense of of
Prepositions: aboard, against, amid, among, at, barring, ***, failing, from, into... more

Thus freedom of religion is also freedom from religion.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,873,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Bigotry is illegal in Oregon. The law covers the same action if he did it to blacks, jews, or christians.

Using the bible to hate perverts gods word of love for his creations. This man should be ashamed.
Maybe they should try to force their views at their local mosque and see how well that goes?

Let's see how you Liberals respond then ?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Of means the same as from. WE do not have to have a relgion, this has been hashed through before. In the reference below, #7 lists from as a synonym of of.

of - synonyms or related words for of - Macmillan Dictionary and Thesaurus

used for saying what group a particular person or thing is from
Synonyms or related words for this sense of of
Prepositions: aboard, against, amid, among, at, barring, ***, failing, from, into... more

Thus freedom of religion is also freedom from religion.
Reread it my friend. According to what you posted, of is the same word as from, if you are referring to a group of people or a particular person such as Anne of Green Gables. That is the same as saying Anne is from Green Gables. That does not mean it means the same thing in all cases. For instance, you would never change a 'gaggle of geese' to a 'gaggle from geese'.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
According to the Bill of Rights we have freedom of religion, it does not say anything about freedom from religion.
I often hear/read people using this catchphrase, but it actually makes no sense. You are still free to practice your religion, and those who don't want to are free FROM religion too. Baking a cake for a lesbian couple doesn't violate any religious doctrines, and I dare you to prove otherwise. Does it say in the Bible "Thou shalt not provide sweets for the gays?"

Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Maybe they should try to force their views at their local mosque and see how well that goes?

Let's see how you Liberals respond then ?
I would respond the same way, since I don't pick & choose who gets to abide by (or be served by) the law. Unlike most conservative Christians I meet, my views are consistent no matter who is involved. And I'm a Jewish liberal, so why on earth would I care more about protecting Muslims than Judeo-Christians?

Besides, this situation didn't occur in a church - so your analogy is flawed. If they had asked a Christian church to perform their ceremony, I would fully support the church's right to say no. My childhood synagogue wouldn't perform inter-faith weddings, and I don't recall anyone complaining about that!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you are in Oregon, you just broke the law with your bigotry to believers.
It's not against the law to be a bigot, it's against the law to use bigoted practices in business, employment, or housing. Do you understand the difference?

Quote:
Who decides these things.
The government?

Quote:
I think that law is unconstitutional.
Then take up the issue with your state representatives, or defy the law and accept the consequences (a fine, for starters). There are many laws I find ridiculous or "unconstitutional," but those are my only two options as well - and I've done both at one time or another, to be honest.

Quote:
Just as the hate crimes law is unconstitutional. Has everybody in the USA gone crazy? Being free means you can decide who you want to do business with, who you want to socialize with, etc. Some people just need to get over themselves. A person should be allowed to decide who they want to bake a cake for and who they don't. Is he the only bakery in town?
We already tried that method. It failed.

I wish people could be trusted to treat others fairly/equally, when it comes to serving, employing, or allowing them housing... but we've sadly shown that isn't possible, which is why anti-discrimination laws came about in the first place. I may not have been alive pre-Jim Crow, but reading history books (and literature from those days) taught me enough about how "let people serve or not serve who they want" worked out for certain folks. Just ask any Black person over age 60ish, and I think they'll be able to shed some light on the issue.

Quote:
Are you telling me that Oregon actually tells a business who they have to do business with? That's wrong.
They have to follow anti-discrimination laws, which differ from state to state and from business to business. I don't know all the tiny details, but it mostly has to do with HOW you operate. I.e., do you serve the public and/or employ over a certain number of people? If those answers are yes, you MUST abide by the laws against discrimination. If that's a problem for anyone, there are plenty of other jobs where these laws or situations don't apply. Do one of those instead.

P.S. In regards to the rep comment you left me, I'd like to see that passage! Again, I've read the Bible in Hebrew numerous times, along with most of the NT - and I don't remember reading that you can't have "anything to do with" gay people. In some translations it might say you can't HAVE gay sex, but making cakes doesn't qualify as homosexual activity. *insert gay cake-maker joke here*

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-05-2013 at 01:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies