Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So if they advertised that they were a Christian bakery then they wouldn't be discriminating because it was all up front before the gay couple walked through the door ?
Why would they assume that he is a bigot just because he advertised it was a Christian bakery? You seem to be assuming that all Christians are bigots. They aren't.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
they were democrats and in the democrat party.
Which didn't make them 'liberals' by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Where in the bible does it say "thou shalt not make cakes for lesbians"?

I have never heard of any religion that deals with the sales of baked goods.
Where in the Bible does it say anything at all about lesbians?

Nowhere.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Let's be clear. If the lesbians walked into the bakery and simply bought some cookies or a loaf of bread, I'm sure the owner wouldn't have thrown them out or told them not to return. HOWEVER, the lesbian wanted to CONTRACT the baker to make a lesbian wedding cake. The owner does not WANT to make a lesbian wedding cake and refuses to enter into the contract. That is his right as a private business owner. He could refuse to enter into a wedding cake contract for a heterosexual couple he found annoying! It is his right.

The gays should simply go find another baker. Dare I ask how a lesbian wedding cake differs from a heterosexual wedding cake? Make your own damn cake-topper!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Tatoos are an "abomination unto the Lord". I notice this baker has a tattoo on his arm. Rather hypocritical of him isn't it?

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/04/oreg..._wedding_cake/

However lesbians are not even mentioned in the Bible at all.

Why is that we see some "Christians" using religious beliefs as an excuse to discriminate against others, when they don't even know what the Bible does or doesn't say?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It is not hate or discrimination.

It is holding true to your principles.
So why does he have a tattoo?

I suppose if ignorance of the Bible, hypocrisy and bigotry are his principles, then he is "holding true to his principles"

Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
If the bakers were Jewish and the people ordering the cake were neo nazi skinheads that wanted a cake for Hitler's birthday that had a big swatstika on it would you fell the same way? Would the bakers still be wrong if they did not want to server this particular customer?
No they could could refuse to make a cake like that. Being a Neo-nazi skinhead isn't a protected class like race, religion, gender etc (and in Oregon- sexual orientation).

Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
So why does he have a tattoo?

I suppose if ignorance of the Bible, hypocrisy and bigotry are his principles, then he is "holding true to his principles"
He's probably wearing a polyester/cotton blend too, but Christian's are not under the OT law. But, of course, being a person knowledgeable about these things, you already knew that.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
This is a thorny issue. What if I was a dressmaker and the KKK wanted me to make some robes for them? They are a perfectly legal organization. Can I say no because I don't agree with them?

Does it make a difference that it is a small business? What about it if is a service that is readily available at other businesses vs one that was the sole provider of a service in an area?
Members of the KKK are not a protected class.

Perhaps this will make it clearer:

Protected class is a term used in United States anti-discrimination law.[1] The term describes characteristics or factors which cannot be targeted for discrimination and harassment. The following characteristics are considered "Protected Classes" and persons cannot be discriminated against based on these characteristics:Some states like Oregon include sexual orientation as a protected class.

Protected class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinerinker View Post
Personal feelings set aside.

A private business owner has the right to away any business he or she does not want to do, for whatever reason they see fit. This is not a government agency that is serving the people and they are under no obligation to do business with any person.
The government really has no standing in investigating this business for turning away anyone.
And you would be incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies