Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times

Advertisements

[quote=TheMoreYouKnow;28085864............... the last thing we need is another liar in the White House with the intentions of "fixing" things. We haven't had a decent POTUS in the last 2 decades, Hillary would just be more of the same old BS.[/quote]

Every friggin President is a liar and every friggin President is going to "fix" things. Some are just better at lying and/or some are great at making things worse. You don't get to be President without lying, or what politicians like to refer to as campaign promises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Its too early and she's not a lock to get the nomination.
Too early for what? For liberal voters to fall in line behind the next person they're told to worship? It's never too early for that.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Oh, things can happen in four years - but we know she wants it, and with former GOP White House opposition research chiefs cheering her on, it's got to be hard not to be tempted.

I just want the photo-op: Hill, Bill and Barry arm in arm together on the stage, right after her nomination acceptance speech.
Hillary will rest till the end of the year. My guess it will be anounced before summer, that she will chair a board or commission that keeps her name in the news...like that Kardasian girl.

Hillary wants her and Bill's legacy to be cemented, super-glued, and welded in history...she'll run.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,142,781 times
3rd party is desperately needed. The left and right are just arms of the same monster

Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
The educated liberal elite were Obama's base. College students, young professionals, etc gave Obama the presidency. Hillary will be able to win Southern working class whites that Obama couldn't. Hillary will have a shot at Arkansas, North Carolina, and possibly even Georgia. However, it depends on how popular Obama is in 2016. Bush was still fairly popular in 2005 but people had Bush fatigue by 2008. Clinton was popular in 2000 but Bush still beat Gore. With issues like same sex marriage front and center though, I don't see a Republican winning unless he openly supports it. A pro-gay GOP is possible in 2020 or 2024 but probably not in 2016.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM

127 posts, read 143,016 times
I may have voted for Hillary, but once Obama trashed her, she became second rate in the eyes of too many. I don't think she'll run and I don't think she'd win if she did. People said they wanted something new and that's why they voted for Obama. Now that they see he's more of the same, I can't see them voting for someone like Hillary. They'll keep looking for "new" even though neither party can offer that.

Whether any Democrat can win will depend on the state of the economy. If it stays in the toilet for another four years, and all indications are that it will, they'll swing back to the GOP.

The same-sex marriage issue is an issue only to the very gullible. Saying you are "for" something means nothing unless you actually do something about it. Obama hasn't. Where are those executive orders when you want one? None of the Democrats have. They had the ability to pass that law when they were in full control. They didn't even bring it up for a vote. They're just saying what people want to hear, but then they do nothing about it.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Hillary will rest till the end of the year. My guess it will be anounced before summer, that she will chair a board or commission that keeps her name in the news...like that Kardasian girl.

Hillary wants her and Bill's legacy to be cemented, super-glued, and welded in history...she'll run.

If she won in 2016, she'd be approaching 70 at her inauguration, making her the 2nd oldest prez after Reagan. I just don't know if she 'd have the energy and stamina for the job. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion at this point. She'll take some time off from the fast track and get some perspective. Who knows - maybe she'll like the less frantic pace that retirement offers. Then again, she might miss the limelight.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The nomination and the Presidency are hers, with little credible opposition ... if she wants the job. But 4 years is a lifetime in politics. Several lifetimes. And a lot can happen to impact someone's viability as a candidate. At this point I do think she will run for the office.
This was said about Hillary in 2007 thru early 2008 - until an unknown came and changed everything.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
If she won in 2016, she'd be approaching 70 at her inauguration, making her the 2nd oldest prez after Reagan.
I think that's actually a plus for the first female candidate. There are the simple physical considerations: women's longevity, etc.

But beyond that, I think the image of the "Wise Matriarch" is likely to counteract many lingering stereotypes about women in power, help to counterweight her own public image lingering from Bill's first term as something of a radical, and in general even where the "flighty woman" stereotype does not prevail, generate a sense of gravitas and authority which will be useful in asking the nation to cross the second unbridgeable divide in a decade.

And there's the contrast to consider: an experienced, wise and mature woman sharing a stage with most of her likely or potential opponents? Their spinmeisters will have to jump hoops to keep them from looking like naughty schoolboys.

The key will be to turn her age into queenly dignity and statesmanlike wisdom - and let the nation draw the contrast with her younger male opponent.

Quote:
We'll just have to wait and see.
Nah - endless and pointless speculation is more fun than that.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
If Hillary runs, which I think she will, she will clear the Democratic field. After she wraps up the nomination, she will stop whoever runs against her in the general election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies