Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:29 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,162,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You do understand what our National Anthem is about, don't you?

Many people don't sing it correctly, and don't know the words. For example, it isn't "whose brought stripes ..." It is "whose broad stripes and bright stars."

I think it is a beautiful song of victory. It should be sung that way. It isn't a funeral march, as some sing it.

I love the phrase, "And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof throught the night that our flag was still there!" Oh, glorious victory!!! "Oh, say, does that strar spangled banner yet wave, o'r the land of the free, and the home of the brave?"

Unfortunately, this adminstration does not seek to keep America free, nor brave, as he bows to our enemies.
There is no "singing it correctly." It's a steaming piece of manure from beginning to end. People have been pushing to change it for years but the flag lapel-types get hurt feelings whenever the suggestion is made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
I love the national anthem. It's very beautiful.
Just for a point of reference, can you tell us some other songs you find to be beautiful?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,079,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
There is no "singing it correctly." It's a steaming piece of manure from beginning to end. People have been pushing to change it for years but the flag lapel-types get hurt feelings whenever the suggestion is made.
No, most people don't have a problem with it, including me.

It seems only butthurt radicals here have a problem with it..... maybe a different country would suit you better

Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,988,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Liberals hate the Star Spangled Banner. As had been said on this site, it makes them ashamed to be an American when compared to the beautiful anthems of other nations.
I am a leftist and I have nothing against the poem of the Star Spangled Banner...IT IS JUST THE SONG THAT IS UNSINGLABLE THAT I HATE!

If you hate the national anthem, it just means you are honest. Saying "well, it's ours so if you don't like it, you don't like America," may as well apply to our President as well.

And on a lighter note, we all know what nation has the greatest National Anthem in history. Not America, not the UK, and not the USSR. We all know that answer: THE GALACTIC EMPIRE.

"The Imperial March" by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (HQ) - YouTube

Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Reps for you! That is what I am trying to say: I like America and I like it so much I am willing to admit when it makes a mistake...AND HAVING THE MELODY OF A CAT GETTING CASTRATED FOR A NATIONAL ANTHEM IS A MISTAKE!

But what really irritates the flag on lapel crowd is that the American National Anthem does indeed suck, but the world wide worker's national anthem is undeniable beautiful.

English Internationale (with lyrics) - YouTube

Old 02-05-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
No, most people don't have a problem with it, including me.

It seems only butthurt radicals here have a problem with it..... maybe a different country would suit you better
See, kids, what I mean about the flag-lapel types getting hurt feelings?

I made no comment about "most." I said people have been pushing to change it for years. I have never denied that most yokels think it's terrific. They also tend to think popular country music and Applebee's are terrific.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You're kidding. Someone actually thinks it's 'brought'? Oh, my!

And pssssssttttttttttttt: The song isn't about WAR. It's about WINNING!
Thanks for letting the poster above this know..... Gosh people who come to America and don't even know what we stand for.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I much prefer "America the Beautiful" as a national anthem:

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare of freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

Of course, this beautiful song doesn't have a chance because it mentions God too many times for some people.

Oh, and virtues such as "self control" and self sacrifice and patriots and pilgrims. Nope, not a chance.

Pity.

That being said, I don't think that the Star Spangled Banner is an ugly song - and in fact it can be quite stirring when done well. I don't care what it's origins are - the words are beautiful and the imagery is striking.

But it's hard to sing and easy to butcher - as we've often seen.
I do believe Rosanne Barr was the most embarrassing and to this day I don't know why she was picked.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,925,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I agree, and since I am a Jersey boy originally, I would have to throw in my second choice, after Battle Hymn of the Republic, for National Anthem...do you even have to guess what it is?

Born In The U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen - YouTube

Born in the USA, good song. I also love that right wing saint Reagan used it during his campaign completely oblivious to the actual lyrics beyond the seemingly patriotic chorus. It was a great example of the superficial jingoism that is a hallmark of the modern American right wing.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Born in the USA, good song. I also love that right wing saint Reagan used it during his campaign completely oblivious to the actual lyrics beyond the seemingly patriotic chorus. It was a great example of the superficial jingoism that is a hallmark of the modern American right wing.
It may also be said that there is something the right doesn't understand: that you can be left wing AND patriotic. Ever see all those American flags at Union rallies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies