Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,271 times

Advertisements

Wait a minute, obama is giving free stuff for 2012? When the hell did he give free stuff for 2008?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM

58,992 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
If they would just dump the far right kooks who say global warming is not real and that science that does not agree with the bible is wrong, I would take a look at them again. I am for guns and our gun rights. But the far right Christian nut jobs who want to make abortion illegal and put their god in schools, and stop people from marrying who they want, make me walk away. Stop the crazy and you can win.
"I would vote..."

So does that mean you DID voter Obama?

We hear all the time the repubs should have bigger tent.

Which is it? A restricted tent of people like you, or people who don't agree on ever thing, but agree on a LOT of things?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
This is silly.

I voted for Obama because 3rd parties won't win and the crazy uber-religious crackpots just aren't going to cut it in office...

If Ron Paul was the GOP candidate I would have voted Republican.

In the last election had McCain NOT picked Palin, I would have voted Republican.

So the only choice is not voting, voting Dem or voting 3rd party which was essentially the same as voting Dem...

Republicans need to put their foot down on the extremists and then the moderates and even some in the Dem party will come back in droves.

Oh and it wouldn't hurt to lose the subtle, code word bigotry.
William F. Buckley said “Nominate the most conservative candidate who is electable.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
If they would just dump the far right kooks who say global warming is not real and that science that does not agree with the bible is wrong, I would take a look at them again. I am for guns and our gun rights. But the far right Christian nut jobs who want to make abortion illegal and put their god in schools, and stop people from marrying who they want, make me walk away. Stop the crazy and you can win.

They just don't seem to be so inclined. It's like they've gotten comfortable pandering to the lunatic fringe.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,669 times
Quote:
The issues that you are looking at are only a small portion of the issues that you should be looking at before casting your ballot.

Get better educated on all issues that affect you, your family, your consititional freedoms, your ability to make a decent living, your ability to provide a decent future for your family. Better define how you see our country's role domestically and around the world. Listen to justifications for and specific reasons for international intervention. Look at voting records, executive experience, stances on financial and issues, stances on social issues that are important to you. Look at where the candidates have been, what they have said, associations they have had. Listen to how they talk, whether or not they look people in the eye, how they deal with people, whether or not you perceive their interest, their words and their actions while temporarily out on the campaign trail and amongst the "unwashed masses" to be honest. Evaluate their relationships with any organization that holds big money. Big money = big donors = big IOUs that will be called in at some point after the election. Look for specific examples (many specific examples) of how they would run the country - not just sweeping generalizations that sound good in sound bites on the nightly news. Look at who they surround themselves with as advisors (and get to know who these people are), who they say they would pick for their senior positions (and get to know who these people are). Listen to them hard and critically. They will tell you (usually in a round about way because nailing any specifics down always alienates somebody, and they don't want to alienate anybody) exactly what their priorities are.

Go back to the top of my post - you, family, freedoms, ability to make a living, ability to leave a decent future for your kids, ability to keep you secure from legitimate international threats.

Or just dismiss an entire political party because they do not agree with your stance on gays and abortion, and tell them to stop the crazy.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Wait a minute, obama is giving free stuff for 2012? When the hell did he give free stuff for 2008?
Don't be silly, 2008 was in the past, his voters don't even remember what he promised them waaaaay back then. Live in the now, and stop trying to bring up the past.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
They just don't seem to be so inclined. It's like they've gotten comfortable pandering to the lunatic fringe.
Wrong. The Republican establishment complains about the Christian right all the time, they do not like the bible thumpers,

Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Wrong. The Republican establishment complains about the Christian right all the time, they do not like the bible thumpers,
They complain until a Tea Party candidate whoops one in some race and then they get back in line...

Old 02-11-2013, 03:49 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Most people who voted for Obama voted for the free stuff.
Polls show almost no one. That claim really was just a load of hog wash by the right wing.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:50 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
The "Christian kooks" are on a manifestation of the larger, deeper problem that is the GOP.

If you support the GOP, this means that you haven't advanced beyond the collosal ignorance that represented the mindset and beliefs of slaveowners and those who believed that blacks were not a full human being.

If you support the GOP, you have more in common with: Neanderthals
Barbarians
Slaveowners
Klan
The Confederacy
Supporters of Jim Crow laws
Conservatives
Strom Thurmond Republicans
Dixie Bigots
Bush Neocons
McCain Bush clones
Tea Party Bigots
McConnell Regressive Obstructionists
Romney Rich-favoring Regressives
White supremist groups

These reasons you state don't even come close to addressing the problem that is the GOP. So if they didn't have the Christian right kooks, you'd still support such a bigoted political party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies