Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The contention that progressive policies extended the depression is flat out revisionist misinformation. Not only did New Deal policies mitigate the Depression but they grew the middle class and had the middle class make unprecedented economic gains until the Reagan era.
The New Deal did nothing of the sort. It was WWII that gave growth to the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
And yet, you argue for MORE government.
I argue for a better government, the size of it is irrelevant.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, the private sector raped the younger generation. Committing massive fraud, so massive that they had to get bailed out, then refusing to hire, when corporate profit went back through the roof. The private sector screwed our kids. Is it not surprising that they are not so in love with the private sector? The current crop of boomer are a bunch of self-serving wankers who screwed their own kids for a buck. The private sector is all about aggregating power, and the young generation, who had no leverage, got the short end of the stick. Calling those same kids who can't buy a job layabout leeches is exactly the sort of self-mythology I would expect from the boomers. Even as they enter their golden years as the wealthiest generation ever, and should rightfully be gladly investing in the future, they have to go out wallowing in self-pity and hurling insults at their own kids. Pathetic.
Get your generations in order. Kids graduating today are the Boomer's grandkids.

Anyone over 65 is not a boomer.

Offshoring started in the 60's..which generation was in charge then ?
White collar offshoring started in the mid 90's. Not many boomers were CEO's of companies then so which generation was in charge ?

Boomers are blamed for everything bad that happened since WWII.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Get your generations in order. Kids graduating today are the Boomer's grandkids.

Anyone over 65 is not a boomer.
Say what? Boomers are just now starting to retire. They run everything. Their kids are anywhere from 10-40. Most are in their 20-30s, the most hosed generation in a century. Boomers presided over the wars, bubble, bust, bail out, and put the Tea Party in place as schills to protect their artificially low personal and corporate tax rates. The younger generations will be paying for all this, yet the boomers have horded all the capital. How does that work? Is it any surprise that they think the current system sucks? And your response is to call them all whiners? Give me a break. I am saying this as a late boomer myself. Our generation has done more to undermine the wealth of this country than any in our history. That is just an honest assessment.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Say what? Boomers are just now starting to retire. They run everything. Their kids are anywhere from 10-40. Most are in their 20-30s, the most hosed generation in a century. Boomers presided over the wars, bubble, bust, bail out, and put the Tea Party in place as schills to protect their artificially low personal and corporate tax rates. The younger generations will be paying for all this, yet the boomers have horded all the capital. How does that work? Is it any surprise that they think the current system sucks? And your response is to call them all whiners? Give me a break. I am saying this as a late boomer myself. Our generation has done more to undermine the wealth of this country than any in our history. That is just an honest assessment.
A 65 year old boomer would have had their kids in their 20's. Back then you had your kids early.
So that boomer's kid would be 45 with their own kids who are nearing 18-20.

The younger boomers are only in their 40's. They don't weld any power or run any companies.
The garbage in Congress are all in their 70's or later..Silent Generation.

So boomers CAN'T be running everything like you say.

From the looks of it lot's of people rode that gravy train to the big blowout.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Not all of us young voters support big government, and many of those that do change their minds as they grow up. My high school history teacher told us "if you're young and are not liberal, you have no heart, if you're old and not conservative, you have no brains." He was a middle-aged liberal, by the way, who said that every year he found himself becoming more and more conservative.
Because as you grow older you realize a few things like all of these giveaways are NOT in place for you since you're not in the group they want to capture anymore. You also see that you've worked your butt off up to this point and realize more and more aren't interested in that instead expecting everything for free and finally, you realize that your grandkids are going to be left with nothing but debt thanks to all of this largess and will grow up in a worse situation than you did if this nation survives at all.
I guess it's called wisdom.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Have you always been this dense or have you suffered some kind of head trauma?
Government and big business are partners in crime.
Your beloved politicians are selling your backside to the special interests and pocketing the money.

They are the pimps and you are the biach.
This. And they convince us to argue and be rabidly devoted to one side so we turn a blind eye to their misdeeds.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
What's wrong with flat brims?
They are ugly and make peoples heads look square..... everyone I know laughs at people who wear them. They are more popular with the the narcotic kids so I don't see many where I am fortunately

Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
If you subscribe to this "plague on both their houses" view, why do you care whether young voters will embrace big government or not, and in which case, why are you loitering in this thread? Buzz off. Scoot. Go plot your third party.
Just hoping against hope that some poor stupid POS liberal might gain a small nugget of insight to the real world as it is, and stop believing in the fantasy of the government being the parent they never had.

In reality though I realize that trying to educate a liberal is just like trying to teach a pig to sing; number one it is a waste of time, and number two it annoys the pig.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A 65 year old boomer would have had their kids in their 20's. Back then you had your kids early.
So that boomer's kid would be 45 with their own kids who are nearing 18-20.

The younger boomers are only in their 40's. They don't weld any power or run any companies.
The garbage in Congress are all in their 70's or later..Silent Generation.

So boomers CAN'T be running everything like you say.

From the looks of it lot's of people rode that gravy train to the big blowout.
There are plenty of us mid 30s products of the baby boomers who either are just now having kids or have kids from baby to 18 right now. The older portion of the boomers you are correct, but there is also the younger portion as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies