Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Believe it or not, the food stamp allotment wont pay for very much in the way prime rib and lobster.
That fact has been pointed out to him multiple times but maintaining his delusions seems more important to him than fact checking said delusions against reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 03:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Believe it or not, the food stamp allotment wont pay for very much in the way prime rib and lobster.
You are right, food stamps do not allow for premium meats but you would be surprised how many people on them do spend the allotment for steaks, etc that most of us do not buy or not often. Many of these people are not very budget savvy and they know they can go to the various food banks for a lot of their stamples, allowing them to use their food stamps for items that should be out of their budget. This is certainly not everyone on food stamps, but it is many of them.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,739,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The rich and corporations put money on those cards. THEY, are the tax payers.
And I'm supposing you pay no taxes?

And I'm supposing that I don't pay taxes for things I'll never in my entire life use?

And I'm supposing that you're trying to design a tax system that pays only for such things as are approved by card-carrying Republicans, and avoid a tax system that pays for things not approved by them?

Old 03-23-2013, 12:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,468,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I also know a man, who happens to work for me and is going to jail in a couple of weeks for a misdemeanor (sp) and he draws food stamps. Until his eligibility lapses, in a few months, his brother is going to sell those food stamps to the guy acoss the street for cigarette and gas money. Apparantly there is a thriving business in this kind of thing and don't tell me it isn't possible. This guy is pretty efficient with every scheme there is around. Is he living high on the hog ? No, but, he knows how to scam the system.
Why do you employ a known cheat and liar who is headed to jail?

Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
And I'm supposing you pay no taxes?

And I'm supposing that I don't pay taxes for things I'll never in my entire life use?

And I'm supposing that you're trying to design a tax system that pays only for such things as are approved by card-carrying Republicans, and avoid a tax system that pays for things not approved by them?
The low and middle class pay just about NO federal income tax.

You pay SS, MC and State mostly. Without the rich and corporations, the tiny bit the low and middle class pay, would in absolutely no way fund the current welfare system. Not even close.

It has nothing to do with what you, I or Republicans want. Or what the Democrats want.
It purely comes down to financial sustainability.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,996,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Is It Fair For People On Food Stamps To Buy Prime Rib And Lobster While Working Families Barely Survive?

When I see foolish comments like the above I need to ask, Have such people ever had to use what used to be called WIC coupons (WIC=Women, Infants and Children) (Now called SNAP for Supplimental Nutrician Assistence Program) in a American Super Market? Do they ever notice those little signs stuck on shelves saying this brand or that product is a WIC Approved Item? Do they have any idea what this notifcation means? If they did they would undersatnd that WIC coupons are not valid tender for non-approved WIC items and do you think any Supermarket in its right mind give luxury or premium food items to people for worthless paper that they can't tend to the government for compensation! Lobster or Prime Rib are NOT WIC or SNAP Approved Items and never have been.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
When I see foolish comments like the above I need to ask, Have such people ever had to use what used to be called WIC coupons (WIC=Women, Infants and Children) (Now called SNAP for Supplimental Nutrician Assistence Program) in a American Super Market? Do they ever notice those little signs stuck on shelves saying this brand or that product is a WIC Approved Item? Do they have any idea what this notifcation means? If they did they would undersatnd that WIC coupons are not valid tender for non-approved WIC items and do you think any Supermarket in its right mind give luxury or premium food items to people for worthless paper that they can't tend to the government for compensation! Lobster or Prime Rib are NOT WIC or SNAP Approved Items and never have been.
WIC is separate to SNAP.
Damn straight they buy luxury items. I worked at a grocery store.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Which grocery store do you work at? I ask because I want to know where you can buy those steaks which cost $1.50 each.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,739,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The low and middle class pay just about NO federal income tax.

You pay SS, MC and State mostly. Without the rich and corporations, the tiny bit the low and middle class pay, would in absolutely no way fund the current welfare system. Not even close.

It has nothing to do with what you, I or Republicans want. Or what the Democrats want.
It purely comes down to financial sustainability.
Not at all. It comes down to how mismanaged and chaotic this country was made by deregulation, giving the rich and their corporations perks which impoverished the U.S. Treasury, and the non-stop, constant propaganda blaming those who did not create this disaster (the poor, Unions, Democratic rather than Republican ideology), all courtesy of the right wing. You can thank them for the condition of this country today. 30+ years of this BS finally had the effect they were seeking.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 PM

I don't know why Jean and the OP are holding out on us. The OP claimed people on food stamps eat nothing but steak and lobster tails so obviously, since they get $1.50 per meal, they must know a place where you can buy steak and lobster tail for $1.50 total. Not even Vegas has that kind of bargain so, come on, tell us where this magical place is. I want to get in on the action!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies