Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,585,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Why is it so important for a few to want to monitor what others on programs eat? I'll tell you why: because they're desperately trying (like hamsters in a wheel) to keep the focus off the real thieves - the rich and corporations, and the Republican Party.

The rich and corporations put money on those cards. THEY, are the tax payers.
When people abuse the system and eat better than many folks including me can eat, damn straight the program should be regulated. If you can't afford kids, DON'T HAVE THEM.

If something isn't done now, the scales WILL tip. More $$ will be going out than in being collected. More people on welfare than those paying in.

Pretty much how politicians spend now. Oh well, just another problem we don't have to deal with right. The future generations(your/my kids) can take care of it, just like everything else....

Last edited by Jean71; 03-22-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,924,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Thanks! Right wingers focus on a lot of pointless issues (gays, evolution, abortion, how lazy the poor are) only for that reason - to keep the focus off the real corruption, and the real thieves in this country - corporations and the wealthy that hide behind them.
Yep. Inventing social wedge issues is how you get the suckers to vote against their own self interests.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,593,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
The rich and corporations put money on those cards. THEY, are the tax payers.
When people abuse the system and eat better than many folks including me can eat, damn straight the program should be regulated. If you can't afford kids, DON'T HAVE THEM.

If something isn't done now, the scales WILL tip. More $$ will be going out than in being collected. More people on welfare than those paying in.

Pretty much how politicians spend now. Oh well, just another problem we don't have to deal with right. The future generations(your/my kids) can take care of it, just like everything else....
No, WE, are the taxpayers. We are.

I support the large corporations growing ever wealthier while my pay stagnates AND I support the poor, the elderly,and the disabled. I do.

And I am every bit as concerned about corporate welfare as I am the child who doesn't have enough to eat.

Why aren't you?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,804,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Is It Fair For People On Food Stamps To Buy Prime Rib And Lobster While Working Families Barely Survive?
Believe it or not, the food stamp allotment wont pay for very much in the way prime rib and lobster.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,804,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Believe it or not, the food stamp allotment wont pay for very much in the way prime rib and lobster.
Really, after the government takes their cut to pay for the lazy welfare the working class don't pay much in the way of lobster. Do you prefer the working class pay more taxes, eat rice every day so the welfare leaches can eat lobster?

How about we ration the rice so you can have a nice wine with it too.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,804,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Really, after the government takes their cut to pay for the lazy welfare the working class don't pay much in the way of lobster. Do you prefer the working class pay more taxes, eat rice every day so the welfare leaches can eat lobster?

How about we ration the rice so you can have a nice wine with it too.
Can you clarify? The first sentence is making no sense to me.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,652,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I look at it this way: is it fair? No, but there is nothing that can be done about it. I do think there could be restrictions on junk food, but you can't restrict what means and produce that is purchased. Buying items that most middle class families rarely buy, shows the mentality of many on food stamps, but that, we already know. I can remember, years ago, being behind someone in a grocery store in Sacramento Ca. We had 3 kids then, hubby had a mid management job and we were surely considered middle class. I had to watch every penny I spent on food, doing a lot of canning, buying day old bread and never eating anything like Lobster. We had steak or top quality roast only on special days..Mostly we ate, like others, chuck roast, hamburger, and chicken. That person in front of me had 2 T-bone steaks (I think they were Tbones) sour cream, a bakery birthday cake and I don't remember what else. I do know I nearly fell over when I say her take out the food stamps. That was in the days of actual stamps. Yes, it was, obviously someone's birthday and yes, they wanted to celebrate, but it was going overboard to say the least. It was not the first time, nor the last I saw things like that. I actually taught a class on cooking on a budget when we lived in NO Va. It was pretty much designed for those in the lower income brackets. Several dropped out before the 10 weeks were up and the ones that stayed, really had no desire to stretch their $$S whether food stamps or actual money. Oh, a few did, but most just didn't care.
nmmita, this is more what I have seen and my experiences. I do know people on food stamps who are doing pretty well, working under the table, drawing unemployment, going to food banks regularly, still having children they can't support but it creates more benefits. Quite a few dress a whole lot better than I do. I saw a woman use her food stamps, pulling that card out of a Dooney&Bourke handbag. I almost fell over......lol.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,652,893 times
I also know a man, who happens to work for me and is going to jail in a couple of weeks for a misdemeanor (sp) and he draws food stamps. Until his eligibility lapses, in a few months, his brother is going to sell those food stamps to the guy acoss the street for cigarette and gas money. Apparantly there is a thriving business in this kind of thing and don't tell me it isn't possible. This guy is pretty efficient with every scheme there is around. Is he living high on the hog ? No, but, he knows how to scam the system.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,804,449 times
Man they should have stayed low profile. People knew this was going on and made snide remarks about them but now that they demanded more the welfare abuse is in the front. There is a saying in the investing world when people get greedy. Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered. Same thing.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:13 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,819,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
nmmita, this is more what I have seen and my experiences. I do know people on food stamps who are doing pretty well, working under the table, drawing unemployment, going to food banks regularly, still having children they can't support but it creates more benefits. Quite a few dress a whole lot better than I do. I saw a woman use her food stamps, pulling that card out of a Dooney&Bourke handbag. I almost fell over......lol.
Psh I would hardly call that living even pretty well. Who cares about food and clothes? (Seriously what is it with women and clothes)? Their UI will run out. Plus popping out ugly little mouth breathers that spit up, throw up, make an ear wrenching noise and smell like poo does not at all constitute the good life. Also the food bank especially? Their food is nasty, nothing but chick peas, bagels and crap like that. It's also boring and tedious waiting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies