Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times

Advertisements

Japan doesn't have the military resources and is dependent on the US. I don't see Obama engaging in such conflict unless he is pushed and doesn't have choice.
China on the other hand is interested in minimizing US influence in the Far East. China also has the means to defeat Japan and is capable of doing so. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 PM

488 posts, read 554,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
It is a real possibility that those two could go to war in the near future. That would put America in a bind because we have a treaty with Japan(defense treaty) but we need China to help finance our entitlement programs. So what do we do? We have to side with Japan or be the biggest traitors in history. Its scary.
I hope not - where else am I supposed to get my cheap crap from??

Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
I don't have a crystal ball, but we know that China hasn't gone to war over Taiwan so I find the present territorial dust-up unlikely to start an actual shooting war. But having said that, wars have been unintentional started in the past.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 PM

688 posts, read 652,392 times
Japan is a really smart country. They're not going to war with China.

Conversely, China is a really smart country. They're not going to war with all of the countries that feed their economy.

Not only that, but both China and Japan have an active interest in the health of the world economy.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
what if horses could swim while eating cheese in the rain?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
It is a real possibility that those two could go to war in the near future. That would put America in a bind because we have a treaty with Japan(defense treaty) but we need China to help finance our entitlement programs. So what do we do? We have to side with Japan or be the biggest traitors in history. Its scary.
There is zero possibility that Japan and China will go to war in the near future. The leaders of China are authoritarians with no respect for human rights but they aren't irrational. They are not going to risk nuclear annihilation.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't have a crystal ball, but we know that China hasn't gone to war over Taiwan so I find the present territorial dust-up unlikely to start an actual shooting war. But having said that, wars have been unintentional started in the past.
This. Going to war over those tiny islands would be ridiculous, and overall not very likely. Taiwan is a much more likelier trigger, but, China understands MAD. Even if China occupied the Senkaku islands, I doubt Japan would do much more then make a global protest. The world at large would likely admonish China, but keep buying Chinese goods and selling China their debt.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 PM

68 posts, read 51,148 times
Quote:
a real possibility? What makes you think that?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
I'm surprised China didn't go in and finish off Japan after WWII for what they did to folks.

Rape of Nanking: Japan's Forgotten WWII Atrocities - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
your chain of events makes no sense. why would china attack japan?

also, china attacking south korea? that makes even less sense. the two are well on their way to being allies. also, the reason some chinese hate japan (wwii) ... south koreans have the same hatred of japan in case you haven't noticed. they would NEVER side with japan on that issue.

china gains nothing by starting a war, especially in the near term. it's not going to happen.

the world is a lot more interconnected than it was in the 1930s/1940s. international trade is what has stopped these big useless wars, and is what will prevent them in the future.
The premise of the thread itself is a Japanese Chinese war, it is in and of itself fictional so does it really matter who i chose to attack who first ?

China and South Korea have less diplomatic relations than the U.S. and China do so im not sure how you can say they are close to being allies( ROK and PRC have only been on friendly terms since 1992). China and North Korea however do have a mutual defense pact, which is why an attack on PRK is an attack on China.

im confused on your "ROK would never side with Japan" argument, where on earth did you get that from ?

Japan and ROK have a cultural disconnect, but they are still trading partners and both allies of the U.S. Why would you think ROK would side with China over Japan when Japan is the nation that opened the relation between those 2 nations in the first place ?

Japan is much more of an ally than China is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies